[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 635 KB, 2048x1536, DSCN4536.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
94935 No.94935 [Reply] [Original]

This is a thread about the kind of fixes that nobody else understands the situation in which they were made and therefore thinks you're a dumbass.

I'll start:

I have these little emergency auto flashlights.
It lights up automagically whenever the AC power goes out.

We were having regular daily power outages due to upgrades on the main 400kV line that powers our city, and during the first of those i found out that of the emergency lights, none was working.

Derp.

Picked up the tester, turns out all the battery packs are gone (the fuck? all of them?) and these fuckers use 5 button-sized NiMH cells...

Where the fuck am i supposed to find those? I'm not going to pay ~20€ for a 70mAh original battery pack.

So i put up the inverter (got a battery bank that was barely enough to keep the fridge running over night, using it for lights was really not even thinkable), made a few soldering and this is what happened.

<---

>> No.94938

>>94935
Haha, it took me a minute to realize that picture was rotated.
I was like, "what is he using to keep those batteries on the wall?"

>> No.94944

>>94938

Lol, i forgot to rotate it before uploading

>> No.94949

idiot. Those alcaline batteries are NOT meant to be charged.

>> No.94951

>>94949

Diodes.
You obviously don't know shit about them.

>> No.94956

>>94935
I dont know what a single thing in this picture is (save the batteries). Is that an outlet? where do you live?

>> No.94961

>>94956

The picture is rotated 90° clockwise.

The brown wood thing is the door subframe, the 3-dotted outlet is a very old telephone outlet (from the 80s), the black one is the power outlet which has a special port for the included flashlights.

Oh, i'm from Italy.

>> No.94966

>>94961
So where are these diodes you mentioned previously?

>> No.94969

>>94966
bumping for this
as far as i understand, you can charge alkaline batteries but only a little bit and not many times

>> No.94972
File: 688 KB, 2048x1536, DSCN4533.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>94966

There's a diode soldered directly on top of the last battery in the series, not visible because the picture is kind of shitty and the diode is very small.

Here comes a pic, shitty too but i don't have a decent camera handy.

>> No.94974

in my last house the doorknob was misaligned and wouldn't shut the door, it was a weird sized ancient door with odd almost like handmade knob plate, nothing would fit it. I ended up taking the whole thing off and tying a hunk of silk fabric through the hole to use as a knob and would stuff it in there to keep out the draft.

worked as a peephole too

looked completely retarded-

>>herp just buy a new knob

NONE WILL FIT IN THERE, IF THEY DID I COULD, I'M NOT RETARDED I PROMISE

^^to every person who ever came to my house

>> No.94975

>>94969

Delivered.
Btw a diode is not something that lets you charge an alkaline (which can be done at very low currents but it's most likely going to leak potassium hydroxide everywhere anyway), it's just an electronic component that makes current only pass in one way.

Placed as it is, that means it's blocking any current from the lamp trying to charge the battery (actually it's limiting it in the order of the nanoamps which is more than safe), but letting the energy from the battery flow to the lamp.

>> No.94986

>>94974

Couldn't you make your own out of aluminium with the foam mold method?

>> No.94989

That's a hell of a way to use six volts my friend. Very nice, that's the sort of shit that would get my mom and sister to bitch at me whenever I fixed something, the only trouble was, once it was fixed, it's not like I could make it look amazing, they had to chose, looks good, or works. FUCK EM ALL, I LOVE YOUR BATTERIES MAN!

>> No.94996

>>94986
If it was my own home, I might have done that. it was a place i rented from a slumlord though, fuck that noise, spending my own money on more permanent improvements

I was willing to buy and install a knob, not spend time learning how to fabricate one and installing it, when it could never fit or be used any other door

which is why like OP
>>the kind of fixes that nobody else understands the situation in which they were made and therefore thinks you're a dumbass.

>> No.95011

>>94996

Oh, i see your point.
I assumed it was your house.

>>94989

Yeah, my mom was all like "omg anon what's this shit you're not gonna place that there!!111oneone"

>nice looking
>working

pick one

>> No.95052

>>94935
Hey Op where in italy are you? you an italfag or what?

>> No.95085

>>95052

Italfag?
Since i'm italian i'd say yes but... explain

Also, Turin masterrace reporting in

>> No.95105
File: 145 KB, 915x725, 1324029183152.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.95143

>the 230 mAh Li-ion battery died from old age in my ancient Chinese mp4 player
>bought a 1300 Ah PDA battery for $3 from lolbay
>soldered the old one out, and connected it's cables to the new one
>glued the PDA batt to the back side of the mp4 player

It was looking dumb, but the uptime was glorious.

>> No.96091

>>95105
Wait, this is fucking genius!
I want one!

>> No.96092

>>96091
This is a joke right?

>> No.96102

>>96092
Why would you not?
It's an extension cord and a splitter

>> No.96108
File: 112 KB, 1500x1500, 71jaxrZmVnL._AA1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>96091
Sell you mine for $100

>> No.96112

>>96102
There's nothing wrong with a home-made extension/splitter, except that it's not a genius idea, since it's been done thousands of times before by builders, and power bars serve the same exact purpose. I did exactly this to make an extension cord from the dryer outlet to the plasma cutter in my garage.
Also, it's not genius because of the exposed conductors rather than putting it in a metal enclosure. I don't care how safe -you- are, but someone is going to get zapped with that code violation.

>> No.96174

>>95105
you can buy these things for 3€ at IKEA
sorry /diy/

>> No.96176

>>95143
>>95105
AHAHAHAHA

and to everyone yelling at guy with homemade powerbar, remember these are derp derp fixes that make you look dumb

>> No.96178

>>the kind of fixes that nobody else understands the situation in which they were made and therefore thinks you're a dumbass.

continue

>> No.96395

Similar to the other doorknob story, I've got a closet door in my house that the doorknob is now missing the latch. When I moved in, the door wouldn't shut at all, because the circle where the doorknob goes in the door was drilled too close to the edge of the door, resulting in the latch poking out no matter what and bumping the frame.

I just took the latch out, but left the knob in, now it still won't hold itself closed so I stick a sock under it to hold it in place.

My house had all kinds of shit wrong with it when I moved in. Every doorknob was broken, multiple doors needed adjusted to be able to close, and the door on the pantry couldn't open the whole way without hitting the ceiling. I fixed all the other doors but that one I can't fix because they drilled it shitty and no knob will ever fit in it properly.

>> No.96405

My door doesn't latch properly and I'm too lazy to mess with the doorframe/knob/latch but I noticed there is a little closing hook type thing someone put into the door. It could just barely reach to a loop or something that could be screwed into the doorframe. I didn't have a loop or something so instead I put a screw in.
When my door is open there's a screw sticking out ~3" from the doorframe, my housemates didn't have any idea what it was there for, they just kept hitting it when walking through the door. I finally had to bring them into my room and close the door to show them how it worked.

>> No.96467
File: 1.42 MB, 2048x1232, C360_2011-12-17-11-14-26.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

last winter i was doing some maintenance on my Jeep's cooling system and found it had some debris in the coolant. local radiator shop said it would be >$100 to fully flush the system. i walked out and went to the hardware store and made this monstrosity. replaces the upper radiator hose, and hold a piece of cheese cloth inside that the coolant.

drove around for ten mins then pulled over and cleaned out the filter. repeated until the filter was clean and then went home and changed the coolant and replaced the hose

>> No.96907

>>94989
Both dad and me know that feel. Dad is DIY Genius, fixes everything, but he's also artistic, knows how to make things beautiful. I can either make something beautiful, or fix it, no Both. Mom constantly bitches when I try to help.

>> No.98078
File: 131 KB, 640x480, IMG_0150.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>96395

>My house had all kinds of shit wrong with it when I moved in. Every doorknob was broken, multiple doors needed adjusted to be able to close, and the door on the pantry couldn't open the whole way without hitting the ceiling. I fixed all the other doors but that one I can't fix because they drilled it shitty and no knob will ever fit in it properly.

More often that not, those doors not being able to close is an issue with the door frames not being square, anymore. With older houses, the foundation settles uneven or important support beams sink, leaving the house setting on an uneven surface and not supported properly. This can happen within the first 15 or so years, which isn't even noticeable, until another 15 years goes by and all the square framing sags and isn't square anymore.

I found this out with our old house. Our house was turn of the century and built when our town was founded as a boarding house for miners. My neighbor's house was built in the 80's. Both houses built on the same winter-soup-marsh. Our landlord was always having the house releveled after a good rainy season because it was sinking into the mush until I nigger-worked a retention pond in. Our neighbor has their house releveled back in the late mid nineties. Their front door hasn't opened since '05, and they use the garage.

Same reason why you gotta get mobile homes releveled every 10 years.

Pic related, professional house levelers.

>> No.98089

>>96395
You need to check the foundation on that house yo.

>> No.98097

>>96467

>jeep
dumbass.

>> No.98102

>>98097

sorry i'm not rocking a sweet prius like you bud

>> No.98530

>>98078
>nigger-worked
what does this mean?

>> No.98586

>>98530

The same thing as being a "Brooksville Contractor" in oklahoma.

>> No.98590

>>98102
Jeepfag master race reporting in. i support this anon

>> No.99114
File: 9 KB, 259x194, images..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>98590
>>98102
it's an 88, runs like a champ and as a present for it's 25'th birthday I'm rebuilding from the frame up and converting it over to plug in electric.

>> No.99118

>>96467
>>96405
>>96395
this thread has the spirit

>>either it works or it looks good, fucking pick one

also
>>no man, there's a reason it has a nail sticking up out of it.