[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 87 KB, 800x532, norse_lapstrake_principle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
882619 No.882619 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/, first ever post, be nice.
What's your dream project that you know you will never get to do?
I am from the north east of Scotland and always had a fascination with the peoples who came over and raped my ancestors, especially the vessels they used to get here.
My dream would be to make my own viking longboat. What is yours?

>> No.882646

>>882619
I want to go full off grid and build my own semi-underground home with earthen walls etc.

I could do it, but it would require abandoning everything in my life and moving back where I grew up. I like my income too much.

>> No.882660

I every year i think i'd like to make a coil gun just for the hell of it. My design is generally fun adapted into a NES Zapper, which contains the coils and the projectile feed. The cable would run to a NES on back which would contain the battery and the capacitor bank.

I'll probably complete it eventually just i keep putting it off.

Also bipedal robot is the other dream project.

>> No.882784

>>882619
Never say never anon.

My dream project is to raise a barn like the amish.

>> No.882813
File: 93 KB, 400x609, TMPplate02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

sea farming and power generation on my sublimated sea-crete foundation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Millennial_Project:_Colonizing_the_Galaxy_in_Eight_Easy_Steps

>> No.882885

>>882619
Build a cabin innawoods and a robot.

>> No.882936

A house. The chance of deciding everything, building all those smart solutions in from scratch and not having to adapt the house to them. A wired smart home system. A nice library with full wall solid oak bookshelves (not like the Frankensteined IKEA Billy I have going now).

>> No.882939

>>882936
seems a bit short sighted. my engineering block at university had this amazing design. it was just levels of straight long hallways with rooms coming off it. the rooms were modular, walls could be moved and rearranged. the hallways had a false ceiling that hid one big central crawspace. central air, all the electrical, plumbing, everything easily accessible by just openning the hatches that covered them. absolutely glorious. if i ever built a house, I would want the same thing. no bullshit cables and pipes snaking through walls so that a burst pipe or electrical fault means tearing down the wall.

>> No.883008

>>882939
Well, I'm a bit old-fashioned in my thinking but you're opening my eyes to the possibilities here!

>> No.883541

A space rocket

>> No.883607

I want to build an underground Evil Genius facility under my house, with nobody ever knowing. Sharks are optional, but laser beams will be required.

What can I say. My ambitions are modest.

>> No.883657

>>882619
I think it would be really awesome to make a full size old WWI style plane, like the Swordfish, or a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter.

I can only imagine how fun they'd be to fly.

The biggest reason I won't do it though is it'd be stupid dangerous to diy them and then fly them.

I might wing up making a autogyro or personal solar blimp instead, should I get the time.

>> No.883663

If I had ~150 Million or so, I'd buy a rocket and send a probe to a different planet. Mars or Europa, most likely.

>> No.883682

Wooden mech suit. Duh.

>> No.883769

>>882619
Railguns I could sell part kits for.

>> No.883772
File: 463 KB, 2144x1424, jaws.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>883607
One step ahead of you.

>> No.884319

>>882619
a giant dome to live on

>> No.884331

Succesfully make a super awesome anime otaku cosplay costume that becomes any thing I want and looks normal

>> No.884355

>>882619

A large and self-sustaining food garden with crops and animals the whole shabang

Too bad I'm too lazy to even empty the litterbox of my cats every day, or clear the weeds off my driveway, let alone set up a self-sufficient garden

>> No.884364

I've always wanted to make my own house from scratch, the lobby being a big circular library, or have one or a study on the second floor, observatory style. Adding to that, a mini skydome would be dope, Lilo and Stitch style.

Talking about things closer to what I could do when I'm skilled enough, I want to make that tail fin from How To Train Your Dragon. Looks simple enough + I can hang it on my wall.

>> No.885085
File: 116 KB, 1024x684, Toyota-Celica 12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've always thought that if I were rich I would make it my hobby to buy cars that the manufacturer didn't quite "get right" and modify them to what I think should've originally rolled off the production line.
Example: This generation Toyota Celica should've been AWD and turbo ch>>882619
arged, basically a competitor to contemporary Subaru WRX STI' and Mitsubishi Evos.

>> No.885167

>>882619
I'd love to send a robot to the moon that could dig into it and have it dig a big pictures that was visible from earth, but I'll probably never do it.

>> No.885190

>>885167
yeah but NASA already drew a penis on mars... so... maybe you should go join them.

>> No.886227

>>884355
Don't let the this society of capitalistic crud steer you towards a life of complacency not following your dreams!

I'm in a simalar boot but I'm thawing out. becoming my true self and not looking back at what society wants from me.

>> No.886559

My dream is to one day Design and build my own yacht, which i would coast hop down through the Mediterranean and back.
I've got a few boat building qualifications and I'm doing a degree in yacht design atm, so could probably be achieved.

>> No.886567

>>883541

This. A spaceship is the only real answer.

I want a Calvin and Hobbes "Spaceman Spiff" saucer.

>> No.886678

>>883772
So jealous.

>> No.886708

>>883772
Afternoon, Bruce

>> No.887953

>>882619
>always had a fascination with the peoples who came over and raped my ancestors
wut?

my dream project, a one man compact glider plane with a (small) propulsion system for takeoff, that doubles as a small go-cart like vehicle but streeeeeet legal.

or building a teleportation, that'd be nice too.

ro finding the cure to death.....that, or discovering magic......

>> No.887955

>>885190
draw a va-jai

>> No.887958

>>884319
lol to live ON? The absolute madman!

>> No.887974

>dream project that you know you will never get to do
If you really want it, you'll find a way to make it happen.

I think it would be fun to build and fly an ultralight aircraft. All I need is a hang glider, a lawnmower engine, and a shop fan. So, a trip to Wally World. But I don't know if I really want to trust my life to the Briggs & Stratton.

>> No.888193

>>887953
he likes vikings, anon

>> No.888260
File: 46 KB, 540x960, 1440687408311.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>882619
Build a house with a waterwheel for hydroelectric power

>> No.888352

This migjt sound dumb but im obsessed with building a sphere space pod made out of 1/2 circular plywood cutouts. I need a cnc machine and the cheapest plywood cnc ive seen is a shop bot. I dont have that kind of money.

>> No.889602

>>888352
No. No you do not need a CNC machine. CNC is for ridiculously complicated large cutouts that need to be perfect, like bas relief carvings, or for when you need 200 of something. Anything you can cut with a CNC you can do yourself with time and patience. you'll just fuck up.
all the pictures I can find are of a bent plywood lamination. You need a tablesaw. I got a busted one (just the plastic sides were broken. and the safety switch pin was missing) from craigslist for $20 (I bought a pressure washer and tablesaw for $30, so $15, and then $5 for a new switch and wood to fix the busted plastic sides)
Cut many thin strips of cheap pine, carefully glue a few together in an arc. Use the first arc as a mold to glue up all the side members. Then use those to glue more strips around the sides. use a jigsaw or keyhole saw to cut out the door and add hinges to it.
Paint and you have your damn saiyan space pod.
Orrr you need to post a picture or no one knows what you're talking about.

>> No.890523
File: 60 KB, 600x337, 1.1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>885085
Building on this, I'd pick up a '93 Mazda MX-3 (my first car) and do a full restore. In addition the car's already phenomenal handling would probably benefit loads from AWD, and if I'm already going that far I'd think a swap and turbo are implied. I wouldnt want to rice it though I love how they look stock

>> No.890558

>>883772
i love you bunkeranon

>> No.892114

>>882619
a house. a dream home (for me) to be me inside of

decent size, maybe ~2,000 ft^2
3 bedroom, 2 bath
a wall of book-shelving in a spacious living-room
a good coat of nice dark green paint.
a hobby-room/FUNgeon for my projects that can be done indoors as well as seeing to my fetishes
a proper kitchen
a home-based server on a rack in the closet with the water-heater to serve as a system's backup/home controller
10 foot ceilings
a patio with a big fire-ring and my trusty barbecue pit
a small out-door workshop building
a gazebo for eating out in on good days, and playing TTRPGs in on days I feel like being ironic.
and an 8' privacy fence around a medium-sized back yard

half of the satisfaction in having such a place would be in having built(or overseen the construction at least) it from the ground up.

>> No.892153
File: 90 KB, 1085x604, 1972_Chevrolet_Nova_SS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i just want to restore one of there, my all time classic car

>> No.892765

I basically want to be Iron Man.
How lame...

>> No.892771

>>890523
Just drop an LS1 in it.

>> No.892777
File: 58 KB, 432x639, JD final 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wanna build a badass guitar/instrument amplifier/cab. It doesn't have to be the most perfectly tuned and engineered thing, I just want it to be unique. Walnut and steel construction. I just don't have good enough electronics skills or carpentry skills to make anything world-class.

OH also I want to make a dodecahedron loudspeaker... more reasonable but same problems.

>> No.892806

I have always wanted to build a aircraft of any sort.
>project that you know you will never get to do
not with that attitude

>> No.892906

I would buy my favorite car, a 89 RX-7 hatch and convert it to an electric as something fun to ride to places in town

>> No.892910

>>883541
this
>>886567
Well it's more like a lifting body/quad copter mutt. But I could draw them on the hull.