[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 52 KB, 550x542, 1290257071239.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
87052 No.87052 [Reply] [Original]

I'm looking for a programmable thermostat and notice that "auto change" or "automatic changeover" is an option that some models have. It basically makes it so that you don't have to manually change from heat to cool, it'll do that when needed. But I want to know if when programming a temperature, if you have the option of selecting "heat", "Cool", or "Auto"? Meaning, If I want the heat to come on if it gets below 65, but as the day heats up I don't want the cool to keep it down at 65, is that possible? If so, recommend a good unit under $60 or so. I'm currently looking at the Honewell Pro 6000 or something at Amazon. Thanks in advance.

>> No.87060

bump

>> No.87070

Nobody has any experience with programmable thermostats?

>> No.87076

It depends on what shit that thermostat is controlling. If it's just heating elements, then it'll work the way you want.

>> No.87152

Most energy-star certified thermostats will have an "auto" mode where you can set both heat and cool temperatures, and just leave it on "auto".

This is the more common situtation. There's no specific thermostat I'd recommend, because most of the new ones will do what you want. Only older or very cheap programmable thermostats will force you to manually switch between heat and cool modes.

However, most won't allow you to set the heat and cool temperatures to the exact same level - most will require a split of around 2 degrees minimum, just to prevent it from rapidly cycling between modes.

>> No.87351

>>87152

This is how mine works, except it requires a 4 degree differential. I have a heat pump and a gas furnace (instead of strip heat). The thermostat kicks the heat pump into cooling mode at 74 degrees inside, heat mode at 65 degrees inside (both my choices of temperature), and switches to the furnace at 52 degrees outside, which is around the temperature that the heat pump is no longer effective. The only manual setting I change is in the spring and fall when the outside temperature is such that the unit doesn't even come on; I turn the fan on to keep the air in my house from going stale.