[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 583 KB, 1594x897, water main cutoff to house.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
866312 No.866312 [Reply] [Original]

anons, if you ever find yourself having to replace a rusted out water shut off valve on your side of the water meter, i suggest putting a water hose spigot on the meter side of the cut off valve.

that way in case you have an emergency water break on the property, you can turn off the water cutoff and still have running water.

pic related, i did this for a customer today. He was cheap and didnt want to spend the money on copper but the cpvc will be fine as long as he never hooks the hose to it and pulls 100 feet away and snaps the damn thing.

i have a feeling ill be back one day heh

>> No.866320

>>866312
>plastic pipe
>plastic valve
>2 pointless 90's

8/10 concept, 0/10 execution

>> No.866329

>>866320
yeah why not a tee?

>> No.866373

>>866320
I assume he just worked with what he had
I'm sure a lot of us had a job that needed to get done cheap and fast with what you had and done shit like this.

>> No.866376

>>866373
But he had a T joint, he used it up top.

>> No.866429

>>866329
How would you fit that without moving the existing pipes? The only thing I can think of is four bolt together flanges.

>> No.866446

>>866429
Can't tell from the pic, the pipes were uneven then? Carry on.

You can couple onto an existing pipe with copper or pvc buy buying couplings that don't have the bar in the middle so you can slip them past the joint.

>> No.866451

You are using PVC cement with CPVC pipe and fittings. You should return and replace the work with proper materials. An inspector or insurance company would not approve.

I like the concept, but that looks very weak. Flowguard washing machine shutoff right at the main?

Two plastic unions which are really only sealed by one o-ring each and the plastic portion has the female thread, not a great idea for outside because of the likelihood it will crack..

Should use: two copper females, two schedule 40 or 80 PVC MALE adapters, pvc ball or gate valve, SCH 80 PVC tee with threaded branch, sch 80 PVC nipple of desired length to achieve height for brass quarter turn garden valve with female fitting to accept top end of PVC nipple.
Keep a cover over this stuff. Throw a hunk of metal pipe or wire alongside the length of the plastic so people know there is a pipe there (metal detectors) when future work is done in that area of the ground..

>> No.866453

>>866451
Remember, teflon TAPE with plastic pipe, no paste.

>> No.866487

>>866320
The extra 90's are obviously there so he can glue the fittings in.

>> No.866505
File: 436 KB, 573x569, 1422001236686.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>pvc
>outside
Making a planned return in a few years?

>> No.866527

>>866505
If painted you can expect a service life of 20 years.

Source: I build industrial water plants. The client with the strictest standards is a government agency and that is their standard for PVC outside.

>> No.866540

>>866487
Looks like he used 2 unions though... So pointless 90s unless for structural reasons, such as tugging on a hose (attached to the plastic valve) from the direction of the house. ???

>> No.866565

My city water quality was very poor, so I had to install a water treatment system of my own to make the water useable. After that it was a no brainer to just get my water from a well rather than pay for bad water. Local law makes me pay the water company a minimum amount even tho I don't use the water, because everyone is "required to have city water".

SO... in my case, I do have city water available, if I need to shut down my water system to work on it.

>> No.866571

>>866505
Do you know what most downspouts are made of?

>> No.866593

>>866312
how hard is it to use cement and not sposh it everywhere and do a neat clean job?
its actually pretty fucking easy.

>> No.866657

>>866593
He may have been in a hurry as he was using the wrong cement for the material he chose to use.

Glue should be yellow in color for cpvc.

>> No.866868

>>866320
the pipes that go into the ground at either end do not move, you cant separate them to fit a tee in between.

>>866505
never used an outside shutoff? theyre enclosed underground with a cover over them

btw im not op, but ive had to fix shit like this before

>> No.866884

>>866527
>If painted you can expect a service life of 20 years.
Let me guess.. This is so the UV from sunlight doesn't break it down as quickly?

>> No.866900

>>866868
>spigot on the meter side of the cut off valve
>I did this for a customer today
holy fuck op.
I hope you have liability insurance.

>> No.866916

>>866900
Yup, the backup water supply valve is now the weak link in the system and it the first thing on his side of the meter, lol. He'll be calling you again, not to do plumbing, but to meet him in court.

>> No.866921

hmm i never thought there would be such a mess over how i did the valve and the cheapo spigot on the front side.

like many have said, if you have a rigid section inground, you cant just show a T in there, gotta be creative.

it feels good after 20 years i can still fix the strangest and or simplest of problems. today was easy, shower valve leaked water when you turn shower on.

old worn out O ring.
homeowner happy.

>> No.866962

>>866921
Look into copper repair couplings. They are just like regular sweat copper couplings, but without the stop in the middle. Slip them on each of the existing pipes... drop in a perfect fit length of pipe with a tee... slide the couplings halfway onto the new section and sweat fittings. Build onto the tee from there, or have it all premade, then just sweat the repair coupling in place.

>> No.866975

>>866962
>i did this for a customer today. He was cheap and didnt want to spend the money on copper
didn't read original post

>> No.866993

>>866975
I did, I'm just saying this in case you didn't know. Afterall, you didn't use the right glue. You do this for money... like a professional, but you're willing to do shit work and show it off. Lol. I bet you use sharkbite fittings too...

>> No.867011

>>866993
Sorry I am getting a bit emotional. Cool concept. If the homeowners are that cheap, they shouldn't have the luxury of the backup valve. For about the same cost you can get 2 couplings, a foot of pipe, and an imported cheapo brass ball valve. Do good work, just leave out the frills if they are cheap. Just saying. The work reflects upon you. That glue wouldn't pass a normal inspection. Good luck. Cool idea.