[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 290 KB, 498x341, pog.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
860328 No.860328 [Reply] [Original]

>circuit keeps flipping off randomly
>go around apartment, testing the appropriate outlets
>everything seems to be working fine
>can't figure out what's wrong
>get electrical tape
>tape circuit switch to the "on" position

this is going to bite me in the ass, isn't it?

>> No.860331

Did you conclude running your tv,Xbox,battlestations and your microwave all at the same time could be the problem?

>> No.860336

Enjoy your house fire.

>> No.860345

Not an electrician here, but not as dumb as you either. Add up the amperage of all the loads(things plugged in) on the circuit that is tripping. Is it more than the breaker rating? Your problem might be more serious but this is where I would start. Don't fucking tape that shit. Also could be a shitty breaker, but prob not.

>> No.860346

>>860328
Yeah, circuit breakers aren't meant to make your life hell. If you run too much current through wires, they overheat and can become fire hazards inside your walls. Circuit breakers are designed to be the weakest part of the circuit so they fail before you light your house on fire.

>> No.860351

Most circuit breakers will trip even with tape holding it down, the little tab you have to flip back and forth isn't engaged when it trips. So you may as well take the tape off because it's not doing anything

If your breaker is shitty and the tape is keeping it from tripping you need to take it off right fucking now because your house is going to burn down, not kidding.

>> No.860354

What happens just before the breaker trips? Electric range turns on? Vacuum plugs in? Lights flicker? Nothing? If it trips at RANDOM without adding load to it, try swapping the breaker with another one of the same rating. Don't upsize - ever. A new 15 or 20A breaker is like $3 at Home Depot and the old one might just be worn out.

>> No.860355

>>860328
If you aren't exceeding the max amperage of the circuit, the breaker might just be bad.

>> No.860455

yeah the tape didn't work, it just flipped off anyway

it's probably moisture from the people upstairs letting water soak into the floor

>> No.860508
File: 9 KB, 158x200, Exasperated[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>860455
What the fuck is wrong with you. You should read some fucking Darwin Awards. You are that fucking stupid. You are going to die young because you do dumb things.

Do you know what would have happened if the tape actually worked? Your home would be on fire. And your upstair neighbor's. Your home WOULD DEFINITELY BE ON FIRE. YOU ARE FUCKING DUMB.

>> No.860559

>>860328
>>get electrical tape
>>tape circuit switch to the "on" position
I don't understand why this didn't work.
You used electrical tape...

>> No.860563

>>860455
just hotwire across the circuit, you'll be fine.

>> No.860828

OP here

thanks for the advice guys

I've narrowed down the problem to wiring in the ceiling since that's where the smell of burning plastic is coming from

>> No.860829

>>860828
I would call the fire department if I were you. Burning plastic smell coming from your ceiling is not good. You could have a wall fire.

>> No.860833

>>860508

>Implying fire is bad

Don't listen to the water shill over here, fire is fine.

>> No.860842

>>860559

I enjoyed this post

>> No.860876

>OP is still alive

>> No.860880

>>860876
>>860828
>smell of burning plastic
Barely

>> No.860892

If this isn't a troll thread you need to get an electrician out there asap. I find it hard to believe someone is that ignorant, but the stupidity of some people always continues to amaze me. Luckily for you the breakers will still internally trip. I would offer you advice on how to track down the short, but I sincerely don't think you are smart enough to trace the circuit out and break apart joints.

>> No.860945

>>860829
>I would call the fire department if I were you.
no can do, i have bad social anxiety

>>860892
>electrician
too expensive

this is /diy/ not /$$$/

>> No.860948

>>860945
Complain to your landlord.

>> No.860949

>>860945
>this is /diy/ not /$$$/
Invalid point since it's pretty obvious you have no fucking clue what you're doing.

>> No.861068

>>860945
This is a fire hazard and should be corrected immediately. Your neighbors and you are all going to die in a house fire because you're scared of talking to people. Your landlord will have to pay for any maintenance.

>> No.861080

Holy shit this is the stupidest thread I've ever come across.

OP quit being a fucking moron.

>> No.861150

>>860328
Dont listen to the fuckwits here OP. Its fine.

I even take the smoke detector batteries our of my household ones. Who fucking needs them. Jesus gave me a nose for a reason.

>> No.861152
File: 86 KB, 960x810, 1438124291108.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>861150
Forgot Pic... Some handy replacements if you ever need them.

>> No.861156
File: 2.22 MB, 3072x4176, 1437422682110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>861152
Also this is a great DIY soldering iron, connect it to line/mains power for extra wattage and a more enjoyable soldering experience

>> No.861167

>>861156
If someone has that sort of stuff hanging around to make a diy solderer, they should have a proper soldering iron.

>> No.861178

>>861152

Probably in hopes you might smell your idiocy.Cause, clearly thinking isn't working out too well for you.

>> No.861387

>>860328
>tape circuit switch to the "on" position

What is a 'trip free' breaker mechanism?

>> No.862228
File: 162 KB, 840x1024, 840px-Theodore_Roosevelt_laughing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I gotta say, this thread made me glade i checked out /diy/ for the first time. Never change 4chins.

>> No.863526

>>860328
>apartment

Call the manager. This is not your problem to fix. Furthermore, in many jurisdictions, there are restrictions on DIY wiring in multiple occupancy buildings. You can go ahead and burn your own house down. Not so much a dozen other tenants or condo owners.

>> No.863542

>>860328
Landlords buddy's taped into your stuff?

>> No.863703

>>860328
lol taping it in the on position won't do shit. it will still trip, regardless of tape. check for possible shorts or you're running too much at one time.

>> No.864305

>>860828
They put magic smoke in all electrical devices. Once the magic smoke is let out it is no good anymore.

>> No.864326

>>860945
>I would call the fire department if I were you.
>no can do, i have bad social anxiety

Natural selection at work folks

>> No.864384

>>860331
this

>> No.865515

>>860328

The more times your breakers flip the more worn out they get, try replacing it with a new one. If it still keeps flipping with a new one and you are not overloading the breaker you must have a earth leak somewhere, which means some loose cable is letting just enough current out to convince the breaker somebody is getting electrocuted.
I had this problem with an old computer monitor, I got a new monitor and it stopped.
Taping it down is pretty fucking dumb, almost as dumb as the guy who used a rifle bullet as a circuit breaker on his pickup truck which then heated up and shot him in the balls.

>> No.865533

>>860945
>>I would call the fire department if I were you.
>no can do, i have bad social anxiety
This is the dumbest shit I've heard on /diy/

>> No.866619

>>860945
>this is /diy/ not /$$$/

But you clearly cannot Do It Yourself or you'd know better than to try to tape up a circuit breaker. when you have something to Do and you can't Do It Yourself then you have to Get Someone Else To Do It, and they usually expect money.

I don't expect you to survive long enough to reply to this post.

>> No.867821

I attended a customer's premises a few months ago. The HMI kept losing power and wiping it's OS (I was able to salvage the program though). Posted off a new HMI, loaded with the salvaged program...
Everything seemed fine. Until the customer complained the fault was back. HMI OS was gone, just the program surviving (OS and program memory were both flash, but on separate chips).
Went out to the site, asked the guy what was happening EXACTLY. He told us the procedure for starting the machine, then demonstrated.
We discovered that the HMI had never originally been faulty. They fucked it. And the new one.
They usually start the machine by flipping one of the MCB's (An industrial RCD essentially, even looks much the same) off and on manually a few dozen times a minute. Why? Because that's how they get the weigh scale to work. They never realized that by flipping the power 20 or 30 times to force life out of a faulty sensor was what was destroying the rest of the electronics!
We replaced the damn MCB (and re-flashed the HMI OS - they were lucky that this was a brand new one and survived the first cooking) and told them to stop being so fucking stupid.

tl:dr - Don't fuck with your safety mechanisms. At the least it could cost your company £30k a week in downtime, worst, your house burns down and you die.