[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 650 KB, 3264x2448, IMG_0722.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
852352 No.852352 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, /diy/ - My windsheild is cracked in my jeep - unfortunately the frame is so rusted that the glass company wont replace the windsheild until it's fixed.

I ordered a new windsheild frame, Painted it, now I have to take the old frame out. They are Torx bolts that my impact driver couldn't break free. I only have to take out 3 per hinge - and I managed to break both the front ones free with a 1/2" ratchet and reducer. I read on some jeep forums that using heart - like a hairdryer will work. Or should I just get a small propane torch and put the torx socket on a long extension, and heat the extension/torx up so the heat transfers to the bolt?

I didn't order extra bolts - so I would like to keep these if possible. The 2 bolts I was able to break free had loctite on them, so I'm assuming They all do.

I DO NOT want to strip these fuckers out!

>> No.852353
File: 538 KB, 3264x2448, jeep.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.852357

>>852352
>>>/o/ is a little faster than /diy/ if you want to make a thread there also.

THat's all the help I can offer

>> No.852358

>>852353

Meant to post with picture (also sorry its sideways....it isnt on my laptop, not sure how the fuck that happened.)

These are the 3 I need to get out in order to remove the old frame, per side.

>> No.852359
File: 67 KB, 450x450, hand-impact_s[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>852352
>I managed to break both the front ones free with a 1/2" ratchet
Ugh. You don't do thing like that with a ratchet you want to keep. You use a breaker bar. Don't abuse your ratchet again.

If you acquire a breaker bar and still can't get them out maybe try a hand impact driver. Pic related. You put it into the screw light you would a screwdriver, crank on it in the direction you want it to rotate and then hit it with a hammer. You can get a lot more torque on it than you can with little electric impact guns. The only thing stronger is a real professional impact gun and these little guys only cost like $25 for a decent one. I'm sure harbor freight has one for less than half that if you want to tank your life in your hands.

>> No.852361
File: 135 KB, 1200x1200, image_17210.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>852359

I got this from harbor freight yesterday, about to shower and give it a try

>> No.852365

>>852361
>about to shower and give it a try
I know its 4chan but can you pervs keep that shit to yourself? Jesus.

>> No.852371

>>852365

I will think of you, 852365, when i scrub my balls in the shower <3

>> No.852382

>>852352
loctite is great. stop being a faggot. stick a pipe on the end of your ratchet. even the 10$ ones from the dollar store can take 2000nm of force before failure.

you only need heat if it has the red loctite on it. which I doubt anyone would do, use red loctite on trim.

>> No.852428

you need to use the propane torch on the hinge around the bolt you need to remove. you need to get it hot enough to melt the loctite, 200 ish degrees F. then while its still hot use your ratchet and torx bit to remove the bolts, be careful they are hot

also your going to loose the paint around the bolts because torch. clean the loctite off the bolts, and use new loctite when you put it back together

good luck anon

>> No.852430

>>852361
I purchased the same one from HF a couple years back anticipating a rusted rotor mount screw. Damn things works great. And cheap too.

>> No.852463

>>852382
>2000nm of force
>2000
>nm
>of force

>> No.852466

>>852463

oh god someone accidentally typed force instead of torque, I hope you noticed it fast enough to stop the board exploding

>> No.852467

Ok yes heat. Loctite plus heat= loose.
turning the screw CLOCKWISE will loosen it but not strip the socket in the CCW direction you need to grip most. You turn it right a tiny bit then it comes out like butter. You also need to "crack" or "break" the screw so no to strip. That means fast swiftmoves of the tool and not slow slugish turns
Like you in karate class breaking a board. Fast swift hard
The bolts are on a painted section? Propane tourch will kill paint.

Loctite doesnt really mean as much as people think.

But i swear to god. You turn it clockwise to get her moving with any stuck bolt, and then ccw the rest and is piece of cake

>> No.852474
File: 16 KB, 425x319, 418dRzUZTiL._SX425_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>852353
Give the screw a whack with a hammer to break the paint loose, then unscrew them.

>> No.852476

>>852365
you don't update facebook when you're takin a dump?

>> No.852477

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fQUSTE5c5M

>> No.852488

>>852359
You'd twist the heads off long before you'd strip a half inch drive ratchet on screws that little.

>> No.852507
File: 58 KB, 951x698, latest[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>852352
>I read on some jeep forums that using heart [...] will work

Finally I can be useful!

>> No.852611

>>852352
>heat the extension/torx up so the heat transfers to the bolt?
ummmmm. no.

>> No.852733

>>852463
I don't know man, I'm not a clever man.jpg
I just know that a friend of mine and I were trying to remove a bottom bracket cup using the bolt method but it didnt work. we sheared three high tensile m10 bolts trying to break it loose. both of us jumping on breaker bars at the same time on opposide sides. he was 130kg, I am 70. on meter long breaker bars i figure 200kg being applied on those breaker bars was a lot. people bitch about cheap ratchets being crap but I beg to differ. although the 12 point ratcheting mechanisms make them shitty to wrench on cars with.

>> No.852755

Looks like a TJ. Those torx bolts will come loose, but you'll want a breaker bar. If you don't have one, stick some pipe on your ratchet handle to lengthen it, then give it a go and hope you don't break the ratchet. Chrysler puts that blue stuff on all the body bolts, but they will come out if you really want them to. People replace windshield frames all the time.

Also, check the weatherstrip on the top and bottom of the frame. All that rust means one or both seals are shot, so your new frame will rust out like the old one did. If you're too broke to buy new seals, you can try using some black silicone caulk. Use a shitload of it, then trim-up the mess later. It's redneck, but a lot of people do it.

>> No.852995
File: 57 KB, 960x564, lookmomicanpaint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>852755

It is a TJ - As for the breaker bar, I tried it on the bottom bolts (I only need the top 3 to come out for frame to come out) and it stripped 2 of them right the fuck out, and now 2 of my 3 T40 bits are bending, the third snapped - it was a Pittsburgh brand though...no loss there, lol.

I have all new seals/weatherstripping for the new frame. Painted my new frame yesterday...so now If I can just get these fucking bolts out without stripping them - I can get my windshield in.

My next question is about heating the bolts up....what is the best method to do that? I tried a hairdryer and I don't think it got them hot enough. Mini butane torch? One of those burnzomatic propane torches? I really don't want to fuck the paint on the hinges if possible. I was thinking that since I'm tossing the old frame anyways - if need be I could just drill the head out and get new bolts, right?

>> No.853000

>>852467

My dumbass just read through the thread... CW to break it, eh?

If this doesn't work - sounds like maybe Just propane the shit and repaint my hinges?

Any last minute advice before I burn my jeep to the ground?

>> No.853013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34RS6M11uw

>> No.853014

>>853000
heat makes metal expand. Ice makes metal contract. Heating the bolt makes it worse.
heat the nut and ice the bolt

>> No.853016

Skip the torch. Use a high power soldering gun.

Apply heat to the bolt. It will soften the loctite

>> No.853031

>>852995
I've never heard of anybody needing heat or cold to break those bolts loose. I've never removed my windshield frame, but I have removed other body pieces, including the bumpers. To get those big bolts out, I had to use a breaker bar on a LOOOONG metal pipe. I mean, I was sure I was going to break something. But I didn't. And I've never heard of anyone breaking their windshield bolts off. Those things are fucking stout, believe me.

I think you just need to use more leverage. A 5' or 6' length of pipe may be required, so you might need a friend to help steady the bit in the bolt head. If you try using heat, you're just going to burn the paint off, and not much else will happen.

Glad to hear you have all new rubber, too. So many people don't bother with that, then they wonder why rain dumps in when they drive.

>> No.853032

>>853031
Oh, almost forgot: I have removed the hinge bolts on the doors (on the doors and the tub). Those are just as bad as the windshield bolts. Again, you just need to torque the hell out of them to make them break loose. I know that sounds reckless, but it's true. Check any of the big jeep forums out there and I bet you'll find some guides on how others have done it.