[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 25 KB, 336x349, NH4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
851160 No.851160 [Reply] [Original]

How do you find workspace to rent?

I want to tinker with amps and music gear, also use to record music ideas and maybe take up leather crafting.

>small bedroom size space that welcomes loud noises and CHEAP cos i'm a poorfag

>> No.851167

>>851160
Personally I'm an adult which means I can eat where I want. AKA the coffee table. Because of that and games I plan on doing, I'll be using a dining room table as a coffee table. Cut it down to size. Which leaves the dining room to any apartment. The big thing I'm worried about is that it has to protect flooring and walls. Put some canvas on the floors, maybe something like 2x4's, or even work out mats. But the floors are protected, set up a couple work benches, etc. If you're going to be cutting wood and live at a apartment, store the tools someplace, go to the deck. My problem I'm having is if I can set up a blacksmiths forge somewhere at my apartment. Probably the deck area.

>> No.851169

Most storage like the one you pictured have options for power and lighting for that very purpose. I know back in my hometown of st. Pete fl, there were a million of those tiny spaces rented out as Tshirt makers and ebay stores.

>> No.851171

>>851167
Set up forge in bath tub. Keep exhaust fan in bathroom running. Bathe in kitchen sink.

What's the problem?

>> No.851172

If your living in a fairly cheap city or area I would recommend a converted loft, perhaps an old shop with accommodation on top or low density industrial building.
If your city gets cold a large warehouse will be a massive problem to heat.

>> No.851175

>>851169
i live in houston tx. how would i go about finding a space like that? put an ad in craigslist or something?

>> No.851178

>>851175
Check craigslist, A lot of spaces for rent. Making a post would be good too. There's a lot of places that have rented out places will sometimes let you work in their shop for like $20.00 a day or something.

>> No.851180

let's keep this thread going. exactly what i need, cept i want to also live in....

also live in houston

>> No.851181

>>851160
>>851167
Buy a trailer on a decent pad. Build cheap metal prefab workshop. It's cheap.

>> No.851183

>>851180
A old blacksmith forge I saw was a live in. They had a bed that was like a coffin in the top corner near the roof and wall. A bathroom was simple too. They bathed with water from a river, etc.

>> No.851200

>>851181
that doesnt seem cheap at all

>> No.851201

>>851200
>implying renting is cheap

>> No.851202

>>851201
depends on price

>> No.851203

>>851169
>Pete fl, there were a million of those tiny spaces rented out as Tshirt makers and ebay stores.
what are these called?

>> No.851224

You can rent a garage with lights and power sockets.

>> No.851231

>>851203
Storage units

>> No.851276

Join a hackerspace or start one. We have 5 local bands at our hackerspace with a full recording studio setup.

>> No.851307

>>851160
Self-storage places! No kidding. I used to rent at one where as soon as the gates closed for the evening, a bunch of musicians plugged in the extension cords on the side of the building and started playing. Two metal bands and classical instrument duo.

>> No.851323

>>851307
sounds like a shady storage unit to allow that.

>> No.851327

>>851323
...all do. Just get a unit with power.

>> No.851340

>>851323
Public Storge are overpriced ripoff run by dickheads, but most storage places are cool.

I was paying $300 a month for a garage, but I moved all my shit to a hackerspace, and it's only $50 a month.

>> No.851402

>>851160
http://houstonmakerspace.com/about/
/thread

>> No.851483

>>851327
Those are getting rarer in my city... To many immigrants families living in them. So now its all powerless or indoor and heavily monitored.

>> No.851494

>>851483
not sure why people don't build these specifically for living a alt-businesses

they're basic and well made, cheap easy to maintain … just don't be a slumlord and it can stay clean and inviting

>> No.851528

>>851494
Because they are cheap because they are not a loveable space.

They are in the wrong part of town(zoning), probably don't have adequate windows, heating, cooling, water, bathrooms, or cooking spaces.

If they did they would be more expensive.

>> No.851631

So in Houston there are a few places I'd suggest you look for small warehouse space. In that town, the shittier the neighborhood, the cheaper. Down by hobby maybe? Lots of light industrial over there. Also by the ship channel. Cheapest spaces will be just north of downtown in 5th ward. A city that big has to have hackerspaces, probably several.

>> No.851653

>>851402
>/thread

...and if he doesn't live in houston?

>> No.852111

>>851631

Eado has shitty real estate right now because everyone is cranking up prices (long involved real estate thing)

TXRX is a hackerspace, but its run by a machiavellian dickhead

>> No.852132

>>851494
I can only imagine how many laws that would violate. You could add all the amenities the law requires you to have in a rented living space, but then you don't have storage, you have an apartment complex

>> No.852135

>>851160
lmao a door on a rolling door.

motor probably died and they said "lets just make a door in it way cheaper then buying a new gate opener motor"

or it never had a motor and was manual and they was just to lazy to lift it hahaha

>> No.852315
File: 67 KB, 709x765, Not sad at all.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw the only Hackerspace in the state is a 20 m^2 squat in a shitty pavillion falling apart in front of the architecture school and it's filled with artsy students coding java apps and builting half functioning useless quadcopters.
>tfw I will can't machine or mill anything
Life is suffering and suffering is life

>> No.852317

>>852315
I can't ** Where the fuck that "will" came from

>> No.852341

>>851171
About once a week I see a post on 4chan that I can't stop laughing at and the more I read it the funnier it gets.

>> No.854017

>>852315
hackerspace more like fuuuark that

>> No.854188

for my sexrobot im looking at some units in the same oplace my friends have their jame space where their band practices

heat/electrical and pretty big they pay $500 a month

>> No.854232

Craigslist is the go to, or knowing a guy. A lot of bigger shops will rent out space if they're not using it. The trick is finding something zoned for industrial, cheaper and your neighbor won't be a massage parlor who will bitch at noise.

Make sure to do your research. I have a buddy who rented a communal office with private storage aimed at online sellers. They had horseshit security and some guys cleaned the place out. Never found out if it was an inside job or not. Luckily he had insurance.

>> No.854234

>>852315
apps and drones are the future anon.

>> No.854235

>>851483
There was a storage place here that I think basically catered to that. It was very secluded in a light industry area but when you drove by there was always tons of Asians there.

I've personally slept in one before too. My folks rent one up north by their cabin to store stuff in (family owned cabin so all my uncles and aunts use it too) they store a couple jetskis in it. I went up for a weekend to stay but my cousins were already there (the jackass cousins who don't bother to tell anyone they went up) and they have 5 kids so I just camped in the storage unit for a couple nights. Had a cot to sleep on and everything. Only part that was odd was the fact that it locked with a pad lock on the outside so I couldn't lock the door.

>> No.856033

>>851169
>st. Pete fl

jesus christ

>> No.856052

My cousin literally rented a double-length storage unit on special to work on his Bronco. By the time the assholes in charge realized what he was doing, the truck was in there with the front end entirely torn apart. They allowed him to continue, provided that he cleaned up. Which entailed throwing all the trash/used parts on top of the storage unit.

>> No.856067

>>851653
He already says that's where he lives.