[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 30 KB, 213x312, Richard_Proenneke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
84380 No.84380 [Reply] [Original]

Dick Proenneke, king of DIY. Who else wants to be like him?
Also, post any related DIY articles that can help you survive alone in the wilderness.

>> No.84383
File: 41 KB, 600x369, DickProennekeCabin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.aloneinthewilderness.com/building_the_cabin.html

"Dick Proenneke built his cabin using only hand tools, no backhoes, no chainsaws, no electric drill, just hand powered tools. Dick even made many of his tools himself.

Dick's cabin measured 11' by 14'. It had a gravel floor, windows, a dutch door, a fireplace, and a moss covered waterproof roof. He had to build all his own furniture too, chairs, tables, desk and his bunk. He also built a cache to store his food out of the reach of the animals."

Oh, and he started this project at 51, and only moved out at the age of 82 because the -50 degree winters were becoming too much for him.

>> No.84388

I want to do something like this before I die. I was the OP in the last Dick Proenneke thread. He is the epitome of /diy/

>> No.84408

>>84380
there is a documentary about him, he was buff as hell, I mean damn.

>> No.84416

>>84408
Yeah he was really in shape. Especially for his age. At 55, he could probably kick my ass.

>> No.84434

i've always thought doing something like this would be the most badass thing ever

whenever people do this though, do they do it on land they own or... just go find a random patch of land? whats the law on just building a cabin in the wilderness?

>> No.84436

Whats the name of the other guy that also kicks the crap out of life in the woods?

>> No.84457

>>84436
do u mean that guy that lives in an old school bus and when he's starving he eats some posinous shit and dies?

>> No.84524

>>84380
This man built a refrigerator in the wilderness. A simple one, mind you, but HOLY CRAP.

>>84457
Alex McCandless, if I recall correctly.

>> No.84594

>>84457
the movie was called into the wild, but it was based on a real person

>> No.84612

>>84594
I've been searching for this movie again for years.
Thanks /DIY

>> No.84620

>>84436

umm that guy went to alaska and starved to death like an idiot because he thought he was stuck when the river rose even though he was a few miles from a bridge, which of course he didn't know about because HE DECIDED NOT TO BRING A MAP OR ASK ANYONE ABOUT THE TERRAIN

but its ok because writers and hollywood have no problem romanticizing being a fucking moron in order to make money.

>> No.84776

>>84612
Glad I could help
>>84620
it was shit, I watched it mainly for the scenery. I was pissed when he donated his parents money to a fucking charity, I mean 25 grand? I would have killed him myself.

>> No.84834

>>84524
Chris Mccandless.
Alex Was a fake name

>> No.84847

Bushcraft in general is pretty cool.