[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.57 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
835483 No.835483 [Reply] [Original]

Alright so my bumper got messed up on my parents car and I'm wondering if any of you genius's can think of a way I can fix it before they get home in a couple days
Pic is the damage

>> No.835498

>>835483
Man the fuck up and assume your responsability.

>best advice ever.

>> No.835501

>>835498
worst fucking advice ever, quit shit posting on /diy/.

>>835483
the clips broken. JB weld a new clip [from like an acehardware or something] and re-attach it to where it hooks up to the frame. They'll never see it.

>> No.835666

>>835501
>>835483
Doesn't look bad, but don't use JB Weld, use hot glue.

JB is for solid repairs; you're attaching plastic to plastic. Clean up area well with rubbing alcohol, dry, use hot glue underneath. If you're lucky, repair will last forever. Worst case, when it fails in a year someone else will likely be driving.

Pro tip: Rubbing alcohol will instantly break the glue's bond to paint.

> former GM engineering who use to hot glue instrumentation to cars. Found stuff stuck a lot better than it should 100% of time.

>> No.835680
File: 1.76 MB, 400x206, 1426674287599.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>835666
Are you seriously recommending using hot glue to secure a part that will not only be directly exposed to and heated by sunlight, but also appears to have been pulled out some, meaning it will forever be trying to pull itself off?

> GM Engineer
Ahh, makes sense now, all you know is shit engineering and cheap solutions. Also, protip. If you were assembling dashes, you are not an engineer. You're a trained monkey who could be just as easily replaced with a robot.

>> No.835684

>>835666
hot glue? are you fucking high?

op, use a two part epoxy. will not fail after a week like hot glue, and will flex with the plastic, meaning it should last till the car is scrapped.

>> No.835691

looks like a very small part that is broken op.
for the cost of a can of whatever shitty glue/weld you are going to jizz all over the car and make a mess of you could probably go to a u-pull type scrap yard and get a non-fucked bumper part.

>> No.835693

>>835680
Yep, hot glue. Op will likely just make a mess with 2 pt epoxy, and its impossible to clean off once set. Hot glue is easy to clean off and will work in this application.

Instrumentation is not Dashboards, BTW, and no self respecting oem says dashboard... It's FOD.

>> No.835695

>>835483
Huh. This is just the metal/flexible rubber strip on top of the plastic bumper cover? I've completely restored a couple of cars with front end fender bender damage. Those strips are usually attached with a combo of rivets (attached to the back of the metal that fit into holes in the bumper cover) and double-sided foam tape in between the rivets. I guess you could go with glue (but it might go awry). Me, I always go for the way the factory did it. I'd measure both sides of the holes where rivet was and go down to the hardware store and get some plastic rivets that might fit. Get a few different sizes, you may need to cut the heads off to wedge into the strip's backing. Get some foam tape, too. I'd do glues as a last option before your deadline. Good luck!

bring your written measurements, list of what you need, and a measuring tape with you at the hardware store.

>> No.835699

>>835498
In my opinion, the ultimate manning the fuck up is actually fixing what you broke, and doing a good job of it. Just saying you're sorry, and accepting guilt and derision is super beta.

>> No.835711

>>835684
lol I was going to suggest hot glue as well. damn beat me to it.

>> No.835743
File: 302 KB, 576x426, 1430764096365.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>835699
Spoiled yankee fuck detected. You do both.

>> No.835867

>>835743
This isn't a situation in which the repair is fundamentally different than previous condition like a glued together coffee mug with a shitty-looking seam showing. Calling me spoiled is like calling Gandhi violent. Presumptuous self-righteous prick.

>> No.835879

>>835867
No, this is as situation where you fucked up, are to stupid to repair it on your own and too much of a pussy to take responsibility for what you did.

>> No.836064

tell your parents they need new tires, and also to check their tire pressure at least every once in awhile and may be rotate those bitches from time to time too goddamn that shit is bald as fuck.

>> No.836074
File: 31 KB, 400x300, app-car-bumper-repair2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Take the bumper off, use a 2-part epoxy to set and bond cracks. Get a fiberglass kit to reinforce the backside, that way you'll semi-fix the problem.

>> No.836211

>>835879
Dude... I'm not OP.
I'm this guy >>835695
My experience tells me this is a very minor and doable fix. This is a life situation in which you build character by fixing what you broke. It's not a big fucking deal. Even a kid could do this. I'd be proud of my kid if he just up and figured out how to fix a mistake on his own.