[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 52 KB, 533x399, Handmade+paper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
823504 No.823504 [Reply] [Original]

Have any of you guys tried making your own paper from recycled paper/plants? How did it go? I'm hoping to make a journal for a friend's birthday.

>> No.823550

>>823504
I've done it. Its pretty easy. A bit tricky to get the thickness even but not hard. Plenty of guides and videos on YouTube.

>> No.823568
File: 403 KB, 2034x1354, DSCN0073a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>823504
I've done it too. I made the non-bleached, non-colored stuff. It turns out like those brown-grey rough napkins you see in some places. the hardest part is separating the fibers. I find the best way to do this is to use a paper shredder first. Then soak everything over night or up to a week in a large tub/bucket in water. Then use a plunger in a 5-gallon bucket to plunge the hell out of the water and fiber. Add only so much at a time. This takes a while and is a work out.

Don't use the blender method, that's just the best way to destroy your blender.

This is what I use for both pulping paper and doing laundry during power outages or while camping. I used a hole saw to cut the lid, anything else just shatters the plastic.

>reposted pic

I made a screen frame I use to filter up the final paper. I find that the depth you are screening from determines paper thickness. So, does the particle density.

The best use is to make bleached and colored stuff with flower petals and things in them for crafts, cards, invitations, etc. Not nearly as useful when making your own paper for everyday use.

>> No.823626

>>823568
We use the blender method. I too though it would wreck the blender so we paid $5 for a 1970's Osterizer from a thrift store. 15 years later the blender is still going strong. It dulled the blades but you can get replacements for like 3 dollars and they will fit Osterizers made as far back as the 50's.

We use junk mail, used printer paper, that kind of stuff. Non-glossy normal paper. First we tear up the paper into scraps then we shred it in the blender with water. From there you have a pulp/water mix. Add stuff like lavender or whatever and stir it to get and even distribution. Pour it into your frame and squeeze the water out. Remove from frame and let dry. Put it into a press to flatten.

Out frame was made from wood scraps and window screen material. The frame is 2 pieces. A bottom piece with screen attached to it and a top piece that sandwiches the screen. You pour into the screen from the removable side, ever everything even and then remove the top frame. You put a second piece of screen over the pulp, so you have a screen/pulp sandwich, and squeeze out the water. Remove of the screens and go on to drying.

>> No.823681

>>823504
>I'm hoping to make a journal for a friend's birthday.

Journals are usually used to write down something thats atleast moderatly important to someone.
I dont think providing subpar paper for that is the best of ideas. Its liable to deteriorate, break down, or sort of just fall apart with time.

I was a nice thought though.

>> No.823709

Dont Waste Your Time

it's common to find lots of hand-made paper stuff at the thrift store. know why? coz people give it as gifts, which are never actually used coz the reality of hand-made paper is so much worse than the idea of it.

so, if professionally-hand-made paper is given away as worthless, what do you think is gonna happen to your amateur work?

>> No.823723

>>823626
>1970's Osterizer

That is why it is still going. The old ones never die and have great duty cycle. The newer ones are fucking terrible.

>> No.823725

>>823709
People do it for things like wedding invitations and such.

Take your shitty non-DIY attitude back to /b/.