[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 562 KB, 2048x1365, 9102f250-4ee1-43d7-8087-32090ac61.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
819963 No.819963 [Reply] [Original]

I want to build a small house. I am a computer engineer and I know electrical well, I've taught myself plumbing, hvac, insulating, and carpentry.

But I have no licenses. I can apply for permits, but how solo can I go on my project (as few contractors as possible)?

I've been thinking about doing offgrid electrical, and perhaps collecting rainwater or having a well dug to keep the gubments far away.

>> No.819964

stop your fantasy right there

or talk to local architects in real life

dont sprout nonsense you obviously dont even understand

>> No.819968

>>819963
sure you taught yourself HVAC, sure you did.

>> No.819969

>>819963
licenses are required to not have your land/ home/ property removed when people want your land. Look at instances in California and Colorado, heck, look at what happens to native peoples who don't want oil pipelines on their lands.
Face it, while you can maybe build and construct your home all on your own and save lots of money doing it. You need to be officially rubber stamped and pay your taxes to be given societal protections.

>> No.819971

Do you have tons of cash and a building site in a jurisdiction which won't send the building inspector down on you with a stop-work order, followed up by a couple of bulldozers and a $50,000 bill for the service? Then go ahead do whatever you want!

But if you don't have that, you need:

>a mortgage
>a series of inspections: foundation, framing, plumbing, electrical, final
>permits

If you want one of those things, you need all of them. Do what the other anon said, talk to an architect and your municipal planning office.

>> No.819972

>>819964
Don't spout off to your betters

>> No.820004

If you can build it on a trailer frame, there will be little more than dick anyone can really do about it.

>> No.820031

>>819963
Listen, kid, don't try to bullshit us, you're not as smart as we are collectively.

If you really want to build a 'tiny house' and sidestep building permits: Build it as a trailer. Only permanent structures require permits and inspections. All a trailer would need is a basic inspection to get registration and a license plate to be moved on public roads.

>> No.820042

>>820004
There are a lot of places where you can't live in a trailer though.

>> No.820046

>>819963
Ignore these pessimistic Wang Chungs.

Just get heaps of 4x2 tons of nails and a nail gun. Go crazy and see what you can come up with.
Rinse & Repeat until you have something satisfactory.

>> No.820082

>>820046
>build shit without a drawing
Oh wait, you're serious.

>> No.820084

>>820082
When you know so much like op, you dont really need a drawing because everything is in your head

>> No.820245

>>819963
Bunch of dipshits in this thread.

Following a simple plan and googling solutions to questions is not difficult.

Building a small house is not difficult, as long as one is not a moron.

So monkey-butt away OP, build that house.

>> No.820350

>>819963
If you can get away with being off-grid, then the majority of the troubles would be with inspections.

If you're a kid with a dream to live in a shack away from your parents, then I assure you, this will cost you far more time and effort than you think, a lot of which are more lifestyle than even the building itself.

If you're a bro in the middle of nowhere, with some experience to pull this off soundly and with good looks, and you know you won't get rekd by authorities, then just build a cool little place. Look at some plans, simple shit isn't the rocket science that some here would believe. Leave if you get bored or discovered, who cares?

My personal note is that the idea to build small is generally an urban one, and people who are serious about moving to the country generally realize pretty quickly that the way to go is to build bigger and officially.

When you're far away and somewhat self-sufficient, you need and want a lot more storage for shit. You can't just run out and buy whatever you want from the corner store anymore.

>> No.820380

If I bought some rural property with a barn and a trailer, would i need a permit to convert the barn into a home, or at least put a room in the barn to sleep in?

>> No.820381

>>820380
yes

>> No.820393

>>820381
how big of a local county kick-back are we talking about?

>> No.820421

>>820393
you need permits for that, a local added just 5' of space to an existing barns driveway and ended up being fined a shit-ton for it, luckily the barn is considered a work of art by the locals and was given "special permission"

>> No.820428

>>819963

I'm just the internet nut I think cetain size buildings like a 10x10 shack are exempt from building codes and shit . Of course other shit come into it like cert of occupy etc etc .

If you own land you can do whatever the hell you want so log and no 1 butt into your ass . Pretty bug if .

OP sounds like a work pro so best bet is to work more at your job and pay pay pay for the cabin in dez wuuds

>> No.820439

>>819968
>this

>> No.820465

>If I bought some rural property with a barn and a trailer, would i need a permit to convert the barn into a home, or at least put a room in the barn to sleep in?

ALL the PRECISE answers to these questions are in LOCAL laws, not general answers on fucking 4chan.

"Rural" is not specific. For example in my area I don't need a permit to put living quarters in my shops or barn, but when I wanted to add electrical service to each I had to get a "permit" then have the power pole, panel and subpanels inspected. The power company would not connect without that because structure fires are not cool.

I didn't need a permit to drive my own well, but I do if I want to install a new septic system. I don't need a permit to repair the existing system.

Want some useful advice? Get GOOD at navigating local laws and regs, and be the "pleasant" customer because there are more than enough dickheads. If you are someone people enjoy helping your life becomes much more comfy.

>> No.820497

>>>>819963
Depends where you live. I live in the woods outside of a small village. I bought an old house, basically rebuilt the whole thing, including replacing the entire electrical system and never got any permits or inspections. The house used to have electricity years ago so I just called the utility company to turn it back on.

>> No.820518

>>820497
>>820465

These guys get it. If you really want a project, buy a crappy house in the sticks and clean it up.

I flipped houses for a while but never built a home from scratch. The investment is insane.

>> No.820524

>>819963
>I'm a computer engineer
>I know electrical well
Let me guess, you've replaced a light switch and now you "know electrical well"
How do you determine what runs must be ran through conduit? How about a quick run-down on zones and amperages? How do those amperages relate to wire gauge? Speaking of wire gauge, tell me what you know about box fill.

>I've taught myself plumbing
How? by replacing a plumbing fixture?

Look, I get it. You want to be independent and think highly of your skills. But trust me. There's a LOT of shit you have to know to build a safe and sound structure. Before starting my own business I was a structural engineer by trade, and then and inspector before getting into renovating and selling properties.

I've seen your kind countless times, thinking they're going to do the job themselves because they saw Norm do it on 'This Old House' and it looked easy enough. But when they get a stop work order, fix-it order, and a fine, or all the way up to demolition, they can't figure it out.

Codes exist for a fucking reason. So your house doesn't collapse and kill you.

I've seen house additions sink into the ground or rip away from the structure. I even signed off on a permit a contractor pulled to fix this moron's house. The piers tipped so bad the floor of the living room wall which adjoined two bedrooms had sunken so badly that drywall ripped and sheared off the wall. Legally I should have condemned the building and declared it unsound right then and there.

The truth of the matter OP is you have no idea what the fuck you're doing and if you're lucky, the shithole you intend to build won't kill you or anyone else.

If you insist on proceeding then get in contact with the permits and inspections office and get their advice to move forward. This will at least get you in their good graces for being at least partially proactive.

The very next question you need to ask them is for a list of what code books they work under so that you can get a copy

>> No.821060

>>820524
>implying computer engineering is less complex than house wiring.

>> No.821062

>>821060
>implying computer engineering is anywhere near the same as house wiring

lol have fun

>> No.821067

>>820524
The fuck? You're making building things to code sound hard as fuck.
If I were OP I would start small. Build a shed in your backyard and read your fucking city building code before you do it. Most jurisdictions don't even require permits for this sort of thing until you add plumbing.
The quickest way to test your skills is to do a small project that uses those skills.
If you cant even invest the time and effort(Or don't have the space) to build something as simple as a small 8'x10' shed(not some shitty piece of shit plywood shack. I mean roofing, insulation, electricity and a proper foundation) entirely by yourself then don't even bother.

And hey if you do manage it you have a sweet ass shed you can use as a workshop or storage for tools.

>> No.821094
File: 137 KB, 700x611, container home 33.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>819963
Depends really, how much do you know ? There is lots of stuff they teach us in college, but a lot of the small things that one needs to know in order to actually execute such a project can only be learnt through practical experience. If you think those 2 courses of electrical engineering that they taught you is going to be enough to properly wire your house, then you're mistaken . How much do you know about foundations, load distribution...etc ? You might as well be an ordinary Science grad.

It all boils down to how you're going to use that house. If it's going to be your primary address, then you might as well get it done by the professionals and save yourself a lot of time, money and grief. If it's more of a bug out shelter/project, then you better be motivated enough to see it through. It'll take between 6 to 18 months for you to educate yourself about construction, local laws and finding solutions to the problems you encounter and then finalise the plan . Be prepared to spend a lot more time later on fixing the problems you never anticipated. It is entirely possible, but only if you're serious about it.

I suggest you do your research and start studying. You could look up the student housing solution in Sweden and contact them for more info . They and a few others have been using used/refurbished shipping containers as housing solutions . They are modular and cost around $2200 for a 40 foot one . Plenty of "environmentally conscious" people who've tried them and they would be more than happy to give you an exact solution to your needs . I still advise you to consult and architect and a contractor though.

>> No.821262

>>819968
>>820439

Why couldn't one teach themselves HVAC? not OP here.

>> No.821272

>>819964
don't listen to this queef, i'm a software engineer and did the same thing - you just have to have money and i bet you already do

>> No.821279

>>821272
>you just have to have money
hahahahahaha so your logic is to burn money to compensate your incompetence hahahahahahaha whatever man if it works for you hahahahaha

>> No.821290

>>819964
now thats just rude man. you can at least tell him why its not possible instead of being an asshole...

>> No.821293

>>819968
>>820439
implying HVAC is hard to learn.
grab some relative books and study an hour a day for a month and youve essentially learned everything you need to about HVAC

>> No.821294

>>821290
>why its not possible
because op is clearly just having a fantasy without knowing anything and just throwing some "words" he heard before

>> No.821299

>>820031
>>819964
>>819971
>>820350
>>820524

i get worried when people start saying they know better because they think they're smarter.
what kind of permits do you need? what do you need for inspections? do you have to hire a tradesmen to do most of your work or does it just have to be within code? im not OP, i just joined this thread and i am legitimately intrested in a project like this. if anyone here knows whats up i would like to hear your opinions.

>> No.821303

>>821294
the guy seems like hes put at least a little bit of research into this. i wouldn't say hes just throwing words around... also its a very legitimate fantasy, quite a lot of people these days are looking to escape big mansions and apartments in the city and move to smaller places out in the country. the guy is looking for answers and advice. not all of it can be found in laws and forums...

>> No.821305

>>821299

not your personal google

also

asking questions after insulting us is probably the worst way of talking

so to answer your questions: you are a fucking noob and you dont even know what you dont know so just stfu about people who are smarter than you and know more than you

ffs kids these days

>> No.821308

>>821303
to put into perspective, this thread is like asking "how do i draw a mona lisa in ms paint, i dont know how to paint but i heard you can pick colors and stuff. i am thinking maybe i can use the spray paint tool to make it nice. gaise?"

do you see why we cant take it seriously

because there is no point to discuss about a fantasy with no context and no information and no meaning whatsoever

>> No.821310

>>821299
>what kind of permits do you need?
Depends on the jurisdiction.

In general, you need to have architectural plans you give to the local municipality. They have to make sure the plan agrees with the local code. They also want these plans so they know what you are building so they can a- get an inventory and b- property taxes.

>what do you need for inspections?

In general, you need a certified person to come and inspect electrical (make sure the house won't burn down) and plumbing (make sure you aren't using to much water (yes, some places have laws about how many toilets per-bed-room you are allowed)).

>do you have to hire a tradesmen to do most of your work or does it just have to be within code?

The big ones are plumbing and electrical. In some places these have to be done by certified person. In other places you can do it yourself and just have it inspected.

Now the fact OP ends his post with
>to keep the gubments far away.
makes it highly likely he's living in a fantasy land.

>> No.821313
File: 14 KB, 331x193, mspaint mona lisa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>821308
>But I have no licenses. I can apply for permits, but how solo can I go on my project (as few contractors as possible)?
heres the question right here. you could have at least answered that and taught him what a difficult task this would be. you could ask him questions to gather info, the meaning is apparent, and what does context have to do with anything.

also i googled mona lisa done in ms paint. your metaphor is retarded.

>> No.821315

>>821305
>asking questions after insulting us is probably the worst way of talking
its was more of a broad statement but ok
>not your personal google
just trying to ask some questions man, dont hate.
>so to answer your questions: you are a fucking noob and you dont even know what you dont know so just stfu about people who are smarter than you and know more than you ffs kids these days
>you dont even know what you dont know
i'm a 23 year old tradesman and what is this

>> No.821316

>>821313

how about you google a house to live in, your metaphor is retarded.

>> No.821317

>>821310
thanks for the honest answer man, this is definitely something i am going to have to look in local laws and code to understand better.

>> No.821318

>>821316
what? are you drunk or something?

>> No.821348

>>821293
Studying from books has no relation to actually building up/repairing/maintaining an actual system.
That's like saying you're a mechanic because you read the manual for your car

>> No.821349

>>821279
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

hahahahahahahah

holy shit dude, 2 or 3 ha's is enough. Anything more than that just makes it look like your working on your GED.

>> No.821357

>>821349

go talk to yourself elsewhere

>> No.821373

>>821279
>if you had any concept of logic
i did it all myself, but you need money for materials

building is simple if you're actually competent at critical thinking

>> No.821374

>>821373
no you didnt please don't lie to us

we are very good at this

dont insult our intelligence

don't lie

please go

>> No.821379

>>819968
>2015
>plebs not realizing man has taught himself how to do things for thousands of years

>> No.821385

>>821379
>be 15 yo
>thinks he said something smart

go be a kid somewhere else

>> No.821405

I'm curious, can I see the project.

also, we all know there are a lot of people here (and in rl) that try to destroy other people projects 'cause... mm.. probably they're too lazy to do anything, so they get irritated from other people desire to do and create...
But why don't you just ignore them?

>> No.821410

>>821405

1. stop making assumptions
2. your assumptions are wrong and totally nonsense
3. fantasy does not create
4. we are helping him to come back to reality
5. why dont you ignore them?

>> No.821415

>>821374
>we
>our

>> No.821416

>>821348
man ive studied and worked on HVAC systems before. it really isnt that difficult. your right that theoretical studies and practical use are two different things but that being said as long as your have some mechanical hands on training of some sort, it doesnt take much to build a system from scratch

>> No.821417

>>821357
are you on your period?

>> No.821419

>>819968
Are you an HVAC tech that went to a certificate program and are butthurt that intelligent people can figure out your life's work by merely thinking about it?

>> No.821420

>>821410
>>821385
>>821374
>>821357
>>821316
angry samefag

>> No.821421

Could you post some pic of your project?

>> No.821568
File: 197 KB, 615x450, cob.house.shingles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>819963
>>820524

Cob Houses. Pic related.

Small enough and the materials are such you don't need permits usually. And built in such a way that if he fucks it up it is more likely to collapse as he builds it rather than after. Unless he fucks up the sealing and it rains. Shit out of luck then.

Also the material, size restraints, make his likely non existent HVAC skills unnecessary, insulation a done deal, and, well, it's basically a mud hut, little to no carpentry required.

Also, OP you fucking dumbass. If you dig a well the Government will come and check that shit ever few years. I don't know about rain water (I wouldn't trust it anyways, not without a hard core filtration system), but I know my grandparents had to have their well checked to at least a depth of 100 feet.

>> No.822200

>>819968
Oh! if it isn't mr Jaded HVAC tech again! Still butthurt that your mickeymouse career point hvac cert is basically worthless to /DIY/ers? NEWS FLASH! Gauges and vacuum pumps are CHEAP!

>> No.822202

>>820031
OP said OFFGRID\Away from Govt. PLENTY of places in the US that will allow OP to do what he wants. Granted, is gonna be rural as hell, no roads, no electrical, no hospitals, but it CAN be done WITHOUT permits and Jimmy-on-his-Station-Wagon A/C-Electrical-plumbling offishul stamps.

>> No.822203

>>822200
Air flow, load calculations and diagnosing more than "hurr durr, part broke" ain't though, fucktard.

>> No.822212

>>822203
wa??
>Air Flow
Jesus Christ! it is not science - size the blower and the ducts to the output grills size and the return location.
>load calculations
How many sq ft are we cooling/heating? BAM! out comes the calculator with BTU's required.
>diagnosing
He just installed HIS OWN system! What diagnosis other than knowing WHAT EVERY PART DOES

ALSO, GOOGLE.
Face it, JAded HVAC MAN: You are just an R-22/ R410a RESELLER. Just like the natural gas/propane delivery guys. Everything else HVAC is /diy/

>> No.822220

>>822212
sure it is, Mr. KnownothingHVAC/R guy, sure it is.

Which explains the numerous cities and towns even entire states that have no HVAC/R companies.

>> No.822230

Depending on jurisdiction you may be able to put yourself down as the General Contractor and sub out what you feel you can't do. But be careful, if it requires a trade to do it then hire that trade to do it. Liability, insurance and inspections are some of the reasons that come to mind. Otherwise good luck :)

>> No.822241

>>822220
Shows you that you can always count on making money on STUPID.

/i wager the average /diy/ is not THAT stupid though.

>> No.822370

I've worked for a mechanical company for 27 years now. Residential HVAC isn't difficult for the really basic stuff, I'll admit. But where I work, there is always one thing that happens at least once every couple of weeks or so that stumps the fuck out of a tech who has to call someone else in. But that's in all trades. Also, while a forced air system is pretty simple,if you get into hot water systems or steam, shit can get dangerous REAL fucking quick. Also, more and more McMansions in my area are more climate control than conventional Heat/cool forced air. Those can get complicated real quick too.
As far as structural, I'd seriously consider buying a set of proper prints. they usually come in 4 copies so every asshole gets their set. Then DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. Use what you need where it's supposed to go. There's a fucking reason for it, and smarter guys than you says it has to be that way.This gets most diyers in trouble more than anything. As far as trades? Definitely have the foundation/slab done for you. Concrete is a bitch because it's heavy, and usually goes where you don't want it to. Electrical, you can do yourself IF you follow all the rules. There are good books that guide you through the basic stuff. Most residential is rule of thumb anyway. Plumbing? Ehhh pex the fuck out of it or sharkbites if you have the cash. Septic I would have done, just because in my area you have to deal with soil scientists and those guys are pains to deal with. Good luck and don't get too many blisters!

>> No.822374

>>822370
when you get into multi-zone forced air systems with multiple rooms, and dehumidifiers along with outdoor tstats and wireless internet control and monitoring.

>> No.822383

>>822374
Especially fucking carrier and trane. I't like to beat a few of the assholes who designed some of their bullshit.

>> No.822885

structural engineer here. I will sign your permit review set. What state are you in? It might take me a few weeks to get a reciprocity license there. Anything for a fellow DIY-er

>> No.822896
File: 2.58 MB, 4128x2322, 20150602_183221.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>822383

>> No.823390

>>822885
sure you are, and sure you will, uh huh, uh huh.

>> No.823557

>>822383
have you designed and built your own A/C, anon?

>> No.823608

>>819963
>flat roof
>snow
How well does this work out? I always thought sloped roofs were better for that.

>> No.823702

>>823557
I can take any off the shelf equipment and modify it to work better and be better serviceable. And am pretty sure the anon you directed post to, can also.

>> No.823707
File: 123 KB, 480x480, 1429727276857.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>819968
Typical collegefag

>> No.823716

>>823707
sure I am, sure I am.
Not sure typical collegefag has 20+ years experience in HVAC/R, but it could be possible, if collegefag was sucking cock in the womb.

>> No.824316

ITT: tradesmen get butthurt when computer geeks attempt to diy in their territory

>> No.824444

>>820421
sounds some commiefornia bullshit

>> No.824469

>>824316
this

>> No.824472
File: 82 KB, 640x407, 800px-Chimney_stack_london_arp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>819963
hvac has nothing to do with building a house.
hvac, for family sized residential dwellings, is only for shitty houses that were not designed or are so old that they were intended to have some feature like an undercover yard area everyone retreated to in the summer or a wood heater in the middle of the house.

so really there is absolutely no reason to install any kind of air-conditioning system in a newly built house. unless you are completely retarded.

>> No.824477
File: 1.44 MB, 1028x1567, ehp.121-a18.g004.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

they were trying to build this office building in zimbabwe when they realized that the cost of airconditioners was going to be so expensive it would bankrupt the country due to retarded hyperinflation. so instead they built it so that they could just use fans and mostly passive systems to keep it cool. buildings are more than just walls with some wires and ducts in them.

>> No.824493

>>824472
Someone doesn't live where it regularly gets up to 100 degrees in the summer. Where I'm at it doesn't matter how well designed your house is it gets so blistering hot outside that you need so form of active cooling or it will be 90+ inside your house. Humid too. Last night the temp dropped to a downright chilly 75 degrees. Its gonna be 95 today with a 30% chance of rain, lol. 9 in the morning and its 80 degrees and 60% humidity out. While thats not as humid as some parts of the country its nothing to sneeze at. Only gonna be worse come July and August.

But please, feel free to move out here and not have AC in your house. Some wingnut tried to build one of those earthships out here some years back and that was a total failure. Got so hot in the summers he couldn't live in it during the hight of the day.

>> No.824495

>>824472
>no reason to install any kind of air-conditioning system
Is there still snow on the ground where you live?

>> No.824503

If a structure isn't permanent, you don't need any permits.

That's why those little houses are all on trailers. You actually don't even need that, as long as there's no foundation you're cool.

>> No.825620

>>819964
na bro, just about anyone can build a small house with a little carpentry skills. i mean, if OP wants the cabin he posted he should just hire tom kundig, but a simple house is well within the means of just about everyone

source: im an architect

>> No.825913

Structural eng here, designed hundreds of houses in under a year. Stop listening to idiots on 4chan, your state and also council will have very specific rules you need to follow, learn them and be inside them or you will not get permits. In terms of the actual construction, I'm a little bit handy myself but there is no way I would build a house, and I specialize in it. I see too many builders fuck it up when they have decades of experience so don't think that you can do it just because you're a computer dude.

>> No.825921

>>819963
EASIEST WAY TO DO THIS WOULD BE TO FIND LAND FIRST. BY LAND I MEAN THERE MUST BE A PROPERTY ON IT. RENT OUT THAT HOUSE OR RENT TO LIVE IN SOMEONES GARDEN. ONCE YOUVE FOUND A LOCATION YOU CAN LITRALLY FROM THERE ON (IF YOU ARE OFF GRID) DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. IT COUNTS AS A TREE HOUSE BY ALL MEANS AND YOU ARE LIGALLY PAYING. MAKE SURE YOU ARE PAYING IN CASH. YOU DONT WANNA HAVE TO REGISTER ANYTHING OR END UP PAYING TAX AND SHIT.

>> No.825970

>>825913
That is why I told him to find a good set of prints and NOT CHANGE them. In my area you need four sets. one for building commision, one for inspector, one for builder, and one for you. I've been in construction for too fucking long, but there's some things that I still won't attempt without a engineer fag. I am reasonably sure that if he has proper prints and actually uses spec materials,he won't have an issue. I could teach a fucking orangutan to follow a print.

>> No.825976
File: 173 KB, 938x910, 06433376.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Came here for images, post more small/cosy homes.

>> No.825995

>>825976
Thats ,aloni' - which at 240 qm, or over 2500 square foot + plus not-inextensive grounds, would probably make your definition of large interesting, if thats small..

Making small look big is the key, your example is doing the opposite.

>> No.826596

>>820524
>structural engineer
Someone must be butthurt with their degree.
>How do those amperages relate to wire gauge?
Yes, Physics I is required at all engineering universities in first semester. How did you skip that? OP probably didn't.
Maybe instead of looking at codes all day, you should familiarize yourself with the actual physical laws which happen behind them and require those codes to exist. That's why the codes exist for a reason, that's the reason behind them. Half of your shit is common knowledge for anyone who has seen anything which runs electricity at a close range.

>> No.826617

>>820046
Forget 2x4 they are to expensive. Use 1x2 like another anon did.

Make your building out of modualr squares of 1x2 that you then glue together.

>> No.826665

>>819963
Look into alternative building materials, simply for the sake of expanding your options. Old shipping containers, earthbag, sawdust/cement mixtures, foam block w/ cement core, etc.

Offgrid thoughts:
What will I do with waste water?

What will I do for heating, what is my backup for if the power goes out or the weather does not allow my cells to recharge?

Where will most of my power drains come from? How can I invest now to save later?

Since i'll be collecting water, how will I contain it? Is a pond a good option for my area?

What measures have I taken against skinwalkers?

>> No.826969

>>824316
This, computer engineering is almost all electrical engineering

>> No.826972

>>826665
>alternative building materials
there is no such thing

>waste water
septic

>heating
burn logs

>power
generator

>power drains
probably fridge or washing machine

>collecting water
tank

>pond
no

>skinwalkers
cover yourself in semen

>> No.826982

err ... why is everyone so quick to say what OP can and can't do according to "code" or "without a permit" ... does everyone here live in the same town? I'm an attorney and I can tell you that depending on where you live in my state the answer would differ from "call it a cabin and do what you want" to "you can't do sh*t without getting a permit from the local historical society." I'd have to image the laws are also different from state to state let alone from country to country. So, OP, I wouldn't give too much consideration to "you need a permit for that" or "do what you want" unless your willing to give more detailed info.

>> No.827079

>>819963
Uhm hm, what kind of totalitarian dictatorship country is that where they require licenses for doing stuff in/on your own dwelling ?
In this country one can build personal dwelling 3 storey high (maximum 12 meters tall though) providing just rough drafts of it's floors, facades and layout of the plot. If it could not pass fire department's inspection they'd just fine you.
Properly insulated and outfitted ISO containers might add space for your property probably without impact on your property taxes. Without changing their exterior too much they probably will not qualify.
If you have access to water (or run recirculation system) you can drill up to 30 meters deep in clay on your own (then you hit sand and get water), in this country they sell a set of motor+reductor+drilling swivel+set of 2" pipes for like $500. With tungsten carbide bit it can do limestone even. Search "EMAS pump" on youtube for off-grid water pumping (they also have videos on reservoirs building).
If you can spend $2500+ on good generator set, see listeroid engines. They are very slow (600 rpm), huge, water cooled engines designed to run 24/7 in harsh conditions. India and China make them for internal, rural consumption. You can get both electricity and heat from them. It can supplement your DIY solar panels.

>> No.827090

>>823608
Probably not very well for long.

>> No.827093
File: 150 KB, 1000x779, 1331341511-008-delta-shelter-bb-1000x779[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>823608
not flat

>> No.827095

>>826982
Did you read the thread? Many people are saying to check the local laws and not ask here.

>> No.827096

>>827093
Not steep enough

>> No.827107

>>827096
well you sure know a lot more about the architect who built it

>> No.827209

>>827107
Guess when you see someone making a mistake they know more than you too ;)

>> No.827215

>>819964
hes right, at the very least you need some kind of blueprint, and for that...you need an architect....but everything can be done completely by you.

get an architect, youll thank me later.

>> No.827225

>>819963
In the US, as long as its on your own property and you dont intend to sell it you dont even need permits. At least for electrical on anything downstream from the main breaker which, if you are going off grid, would be all of it.

>> No.827307

>>823608
Hah, google for commyblocks photos. Ta-da! They have flat roofs AND a lot of snow falls in the region.
The reinforced concrete roof shall bear ~200kg/m^2 load of snow, why not? You also get additional insulation from much snow and/or useable surface.

>> No.827310

>>824493
yah nah bro, lived in perth, knew an architect there. regularly getting up past 110f. my house was unbearable. he built his house with passive cooling systems like large solid thermal masses and properly angled windows and shit and properly insulated so it stayed cozy all the time. its only the shitty ticky tacky boxes that need HVAC.

>> No.827313

>>827310
But arabs and persians knew about passive cooling for millenias.
What could be easier than to bury a system of PE pipes around/under your house and get the thermal mass?

>> No.827319

>>819963
build underground, only know how is required

>> No.827320

>>819964
>dont sprout nonsense you obviously dont even understand
like you?

>> No.827321

>>820031
>All a trailer would need is a basic inspection to get registration
do you need to register a trailer that you dont use on the road and always sits on private property??

>> No.827322

>>821262
>Why couldn't one teach themselves HVAC? not OP here.
too much for their brains to comprehend aparantly

>> No.827326

>>821348
>Studying from books has no relation to actually building up/repairing/maintaining an actual system.
No? What do you think the book is for then?

>> No.827327

>>827313
Because anything a builder is unfamiliar with, they hate and won't do. Hence why shitty timber frame with facade is the main construction technique. Stone isn't that much more expensive in terms of labor and materials if you take into account that it takes several different people to install a timber frame wall, someone to apply the facade, the frame, the plaster, the paint. It's just that there are so few people who are actual stone masons these days.

>> No.827328

>>823716
you can take the kid out of college but sometimes you cant take the college attitude out of the kid

>> No.827330

>>826972
>>waste water
>septic
nice thesaurus action there

>> No.827331

>>827079
>Uhm hm, what kind of totalitarian dictatorship country is that where they require licenses for doing stuff in/on your own dwelling ?
That would be "the land of free" now bend over for your anti terrorist search

>> No.827340

>>827331
The patriot act, we like to show patriotism by shitting on hard won rights people died for.

>> No.827341

Oh look it's this thread... again.

Fuck this thread, fuck the op and fuck ops stupid fucking picture.

>> No.827363
File: 1.56 MB, 1403x1018, tl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>819964
Unemployed architect detected

>> No.827919

>>819971
>a mortgage

This is not necessary.

Op just call a real contractor that does this shit and talk to him. Any blue collar honest guy would gladly advise you for a fee. Instead of paying him to do it all just pay for his knowledge/time. Most steps of house building are 1 hour of permits/inspection vs hundreds of hours of labor. Get yer man thats wise to the area to help you with permits/inspections and you do the labor yourself in between.

>> No.827979

>>827363
arm chair engineer is that you?

>> No.828426

Planning is bullshit.

My m8's mum had a little country farm that needed to have mains electrics fitted. The total cost would have been £30k or something like that

Also there was a program here in britbongland about people building houses without planning and being ordered to pull 'em down. Fucking pathetic.

If its built to regulations, is safe, on your own land, isn't obstructing anyone view or causing any major problems, why even bother?

One chap sold his house to build a eco friendly 0 emission house out in the county up the road. Nobody to see for miles. He built half of it after getting a visit by the local council. He was ordered to pull it down, but some bats had moved in. Bats y'see are protected under EU law and it's a finable and jailable offence to disturb bats and their homes. He was in a catch 22. Either get fined for not pulling the house down, or getting fined for disturbing the bats home. Fuck gubermenht.

>> No.828498

>>819963
It's pretty much illegal to build your own self sufficient home in America the way you want to, might as well just forget about it.

>> No.828754

>>820350
Montanan here, if the storage is made separate from the house, it's much easier to pull off the small house in a rural area. It's also easier to clear a shed than it is a big ranch house with a fuck-all cellar in it. As long as there's a clean, dry, and secure place to store your supplies, you'll do just fine. A shed works really well for this purpose.

>>820524
>hurr durr ma inspekter

>>821315
>I'm a 23 year old tradesman and what is this
You're killing me m8

>>822203
>Air flow load calculations
You mean making your ducts so that they don't shoot hurricane force winds? Making sure that your furnace isn't trying to cook you alive?

>>822202
Being off the grid can get pretty tough, especially when you get older and develop health issues. That's why first aid, firearms, and stockpiles are your best friend. Wood burning stoves, solar panels with batteries, well water (with just-in-case manual pump) are enough for basic necessities.

>>822370
Luckily, my dad is a soil scientist. It won't have to deal with shitty customer service.

>>823608
Montana snow can be a real bitch sometimes, but as long as your building is sound and can handle the weight, you're typically alright. It's the part of getting your vehicles out that's the problem at that point. I've had to get up four hours before work just to make sure I was able to dig out the car or truck in time to get to work.

>> No.828756

>>828498
those guns sure protected your freedoms

>> No.828763

>>828756
zzzzzzzzing

>> No.828871

>>824477
Great infographic m8, that'll be useful.

>>824493
I'm from a place where you only need air conditioning two weeks out of the year. Makes the winters a real bitch though.

>>824503
>as long as there's no foundation you're cool
That's why sheds can be plopped down no problem. But if you're living in the building, not having a foundation or being raised from the ground can be a problem. All it takes is a little water to ruin the floorboards. Great way to avoid permits though.

>>825620
Thanks for being a bro dude. I learned a lot from working with my dad (plumbing, carpentry, electricity, etc.). It makes me very confident in being able to pull off a small house project.

>>826596
It doesn't take much to learn the voltage capacities of wire gauges. It's fairly simple.

>>826665
Dude, alternative building materials? That's something I wasn't thinking of. I mean, that'd reduce building costs significantly, imagine not forking out 5 grand for a pre-built shed and just earthbagging it! Great questions, btw.

>>826972
A generator isn't the most reliable method of powering your house. Not to mention, gas is more expensive than being on the grid. Look into gassinators and other alternative fuel sources. Also, wood might not always be available for burning in a stove. It's also a bitch to constantly refill during the winter.

A washing machine, are you serious, faggot?

There's more collection methods than a tank. You can make a small cistern using cement if you want.

>>826982
Good point, some jurisdictions really don't give a shit what you build and where. That's why I'm planning on moving back to Montana where no one gives a shit.

>>827321
Nope, it's the same as leaving a truck to rust in your backyard. You can let the registration expire, and the government will eventually forget you even have it. In this case though, you never registered it in the first place.

>> No.828878
File: 48 KB, 1500x1241, 1380559131528.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>827327
That explains so much. That's why these naysaying faggots are bitching about no one being able to do shit.

>> No.828958
File: 164 KB, 500x343, tumblr_n81t57cInL1t95q2wo2_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

gonna leave this here:
http://cabinporn.com/

>> No.828995

You say you're an engineer, which means you are fluent in bullshit.
BUT
Yes, you can build a small house on your own, but building one like in your pic, nope. You would need help , a lot of it. HVAC you have to have freon certification, and you can only use the one's listed in that certification. Not all freons are covered by one certificate.

As far as the well goes, you will need to check if they are even legal where you want to build. If you live in certain municipal areas, you have to be on city water. Same goes for electrical, some areas you have to have a permit for solar panels and pay a tax for using them. Also the rainwater collection is up in the air. The government is apparently trying to say you can't do that, which is bullshit, but they are.

and unless you live in BFE you can't just do whatever you want, especially if you ever want to sell it. Permits and inspections are required. You can hire a company to do all of the inspections as you reach each building stage and apply for the permits your own.

Do it if you want to do it, just be smart about it.

>> No.829011

>>827079
What country are you in, anon?

It sounds nice.

>> No.829016

Is this the same thread, or another one? I usually just do a ctrl f for metal and browse or leave /diy/.

>> No.829017

>>821379
>everything man has ever attempted was done right the first time without learning from mistakes or without proper guidance and training
OP probably can teach himself HVAC theory, practicality is a whole new ball game. Just because you know how to do something right doesn't mean you're able. With time though he could be the best that no one ever was, not to freeze to death or get too hot in the sun. He could call across the land searching far and wide for a guy to do it for him at a cheaper price

>> No.829020

>>819963
Have seen this very identical image a zillion times already in the past on diy. Pls utilize a different image so that this post could attempt to fly as an original threat, but actually not.