[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 70 KB, 800x600, frugality.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
79549 No.79549 [Reply] [Original]

/diy/ is a great board and since I haven't seen one of these threads in awhile (on any board, come to think of it), let's put together a list of ways to live well but cheaply, /diy/-style.

This can be anything from how to eat cheaply to hobbies and entertainment that require little money. Anyone want to participate? I'm going to start with a few ways to keep yourself alive and not starving to death when you haven't a lot of cash.

>> No.79552

RICE COOKERS/CROCK POTS:

These little inventions are wonderful to have if you haven't a lot of money and not a lot of time. There's really no complicated explanation necessary--you dump your ingredients in a pot, fill it up with water, and let it cook for a few hours. Go to work, come home, have dinner ready. If you live by yourself, it's even better because then you can have meals for a couple days.

Even just basic rice is better than starving to death, and if you go to an Asian or Latino grocer, they have giant-ass bags of rice for ridiculously low amounts of money; once I saw a twenty-pound bag of rice for like eight bucks.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Decker-16-Cup-Rice-Cooker-White/7965241

^ I have this one.

>> No.79556

get a job in a kitchen. i eat for less than 20$ a week most weeks

>> No.79557

HOBBIES: READING

A library is a wonderful place, not just because it smells like old paper, but because it costs you damn near nothing. The cost of a library card is usually not very much, dependent upon a few factors. First, I suggest you go to a library that's actually in your county/parish, because out-of-county fees can be a bitch (it is also possible that you have never encountered these because my State is crooked and fuck it hardcore).

This is pretty much a no-brainer.

Libraries are, of course, wonderful places to start literature discussion groups. Sit in on one or two, see if you like it. Be forewarned, there are lots of middle-aged chicks with nothing better to do in these oftentimes...

>> No.79559

>>79556

That's not practical advice for some of us. Plus, working in a kitchen is not a very fun thing unless you manage to make sous chef kind of money. But once you hit that rank, money is less of a worry so long as you keep yourself in check.

Working at McDonald's and trying to steal food from them ain't gonna end well...

>> No.79561

HOBBIES: GUITAR/UKULELE

It may seem odd to mention musical instruments in a thread about frugality, but consider this: Once you've paid for the instrument, you own it. Unless you're buying something made of brass or very intricate mechanisms, you can get into music for your own amusement pretty cheaply. A guitar at a pawn shop might not be worth shit, but if it can hold strings in tune, it'll do the job.

You might also consider a ukulele, which can be bought new for not a lot of cash. They're also easier to learn than the guitar, but not nearly as fun.

>> No.79565

>>79559
i said a kitchen and not a shit hole. either way yes 9/hr sucks but im just doing it until i get a real job in my field. either way 2 meals a day for free adds up fast

>> No.79566

>>79561

if you want cheap instruments get a harmonica.

nice instrument once you learn to play it.

>> No.79568

>>79565

If you're nabbing two free meals a day, then yeah, I can see why you would want to stick with that job. Good on you for that and I hope you get a better-paying job that's more enjoyable sometime in the near future.

>> No.79571

>>79568
technically its only 1 but the owner told us not to plate anything wed be mildly upset about paying for. so you always get something weird fish or burger or a bunch of tiny frys

>> No.79573

>not buying 20 pound sacks of rice from your local asian grocer

>> No.79575

>>79573
>not getting all your food from the dumpster

>> No.79580
File: 17 KB, 482x428, cio.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>79573
>>79575

>> No.79928

>>79552

I almost always have a crockpot going.

Split peas are my main staple. It isn't just the ease of cooking them but I just never get tired of the flavor.

One soup bone, some seasonings, peas and water and you got a hot meal to start your day.

A good hearty, nutritious meal for less than a buck.

>> No.80209
File: 85 KB, 450x450, KillerMike-.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's simple: hustle harder.

>> No.80214 [DELETED] 
File: 45 KB, 568x758, 1253692622817.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Santa's Ghetto coming to you /diy/ to drop a protip this holiday season.

Do you like getting free shit, or twice the amount of shit for your money?

Here's what to do:

>Go to eBay
>Find some ASIAN powerseller with a top rated sellers bullshit
This shit: http://www.ebay.com/topratedsellers/index.html
>Don't go for something too expensive $10 limit nigga
>Buy it, pay with mother fucken PayPal
>Receive item in a few business days

---- He somes the HOOK UP ----
>Wait about a week, tell seller you still haven't received your item

>Asian nigger is either going to say:
--- "Please wait couple more days" wait, repeat step again

--- "I'll send you another one" doubled your swag

--- "I'll do a refund via paypal" Holla holla free swag and you keep your dollaz

That's it homie... why does this shit work?

Eazzy mother fucker... two reasons:

1. That Asian mother fucker wants to keep that top seller status... he don't want no nigger chimpin out negative feedback calling him a scam artist... majority have that shit written down like: "Please oh please if you have any problem contact me first before leaving me bad feedback, I fix! I fix for you!"

2. That cheapass Asian mother fucker ain't going to waste money getting that shit registered signed postage... he knows you the playa can just hit up PayPal and get a mother fucken charge back after opening up a dispute... not only does that mother fucker lose his cheddar but he gets a real angry neg for being a faggot ass tryin to shall.

Thats all you need to know homie, keep the hustle up, get some swag... and merry mother fucken Christmas

>> No.80219

I work at Micky D's. Besides free or reduced meals you can essentially graze your whole shift. Get enough in you that you don't need to eat again the entire day. Not gorging yourself mind you, just nibbling enough over a few hours that you're simply not hungry until you go to bed.

While technically it's stealing and probably frowned upon in more high brow establishments I'm confident enough to say that it's common practice in most establishments. As long as you're not making entire meals for yourself, sticking mostly to the food that's past it's holding time and going to be thrown in the trash anyway or burgers that have been rejected either from us making it wrong or customers ordering wrong, and not eating where it's obvious, you can conceivably be self sustained and not have to buy anything to eat except on your days off.

>> No.80222

>>80214
Wow. You're a scumbag.

>> No.80244

Some dollar trees carry fresh local bread. I don't know why.

But for $4 I can grab 3 big loaves of nice fresh Sourdough, the fancy kind that's usually like $4 a loaf at walmart, and a package of BAR-S salami. Enough to eat for almost a week at 3 sandwiches a day. Keep the extra bread in the freezer so it stays fresh. Hot mustard makes it even better.

Damn good peach preserves from egypt there too.

The meat clearance section at the grocery store is also good if you want to cook something that day. Specials on produce are nice too.

>What do we have here?

>Squash, 3 for $1 and 4 big porksteaks for $2

>Looks like buttered squash and BBQ porksteaks tonight. I'll make some sweet carrots tomorrow.

Yeah so I don't eat too fancy by myself. I use the cash I save to make sure I can show my gal a good time on the weekend.

>> No.80266

I make my own beer and apfelwein. The beer works out to between $0.20-$0.50 USD a 12oz bottle, depending on style. My session beer is the cheaper, the bourbon fortified, smoked malt, madagascarian vanilla porter is the more expensive type, for example.. The apfelwein around $0.15, and can be put together in less time than it took for me to write this response.

Of course, you can spend boucoup dollaz on equipment, or you can go cheap. Cheap is good when starting out.

>> No.80267

>>80219
times must have changed. I worked restaurants, pubs and bars for years and always got and gave (to staff) a free meal. Everyone knows to stay away from the steaks and fresh seafood, but do I give a fuck if some dishwasher eats a double plate full of spaghetti and meatsauce and 3 pieces of garlic bread while I pay him $6/hr?

>> No.80307

>>79556

I work in a commercial catering place now and then and the amount that gets thrown out is insane. I can normally feed myself, my gf and my 2 flatmates with the stuff I bring back in one night. Last week I had to throw out 20 fillets of plaice with lemon simply because I couldnt carry any more.

>> No.80318 [DELETED] 

>>80214
>>80214

And you wonder why people hate niggers.

>> No.80853

>>79566
I found 2 shiny professional harmonica's in the trash during the summer. No idea why someone threw them out.

It's really fun to make up a random tune, even if it sounds bad. But i'd like to learn how to play it properly. Any good tuts out there you'd like to share?

>> No.81032

I saw an ad on craigslist a couple weeks ago, someone was asking for a pallet for free or cheap to build a workbench. I ride my bike everywhere so I notice this sort of stuff, but i've seen at least 20 pallets since then that I could have just taken and nobody would have minded or noticed. I also found some new OSB in the recycling bin. I guess the point is: if you have the time to look around you could probably make some pretty sweet things. I should also say that crappy dimensional pine (at least in the US) is very cheap anyway, so it's not like some miracle wood source.

Tldr: Need pallets? Bike around in commercial/industrial district alleys (if it's safe). Bring a trailer.

>> No.81047
File: 75 KB, 1600x1226, 1314647028389.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(Not really much of a /diy/ element, but these are more important to me than silly things like "make your own yogurt"
Exercise:
If you are in school this does not apply, use gym/pool at school. Cheap way to get a full body workout (cardio and build some muscle) is swimming. I pay $15 bucks a month for an unlimited pass at my local community centre vs the $40 I'd be paying for a commercial gym. Equipment is cheap too, <$50 for a pair of goggles and swim trunks.

Tra/n/sportation:
Ride a bike to work/school if you can. <$200 on craigslist will get you a decent commuter. I can spend about $100 bucks on transit or gas in a month, so saving come in a few months. It's also a great free workout.
Check out the Pic before you ask what kind of bike.

>> No.81058

>>81047
So really, the only use of a fixie is to be a hipster?

Sounds kinda butthurt IMO.

>> No.81070

Go buy a thermos, the go to like whole foods and buy some cracked wheat. Boil some water, put it in the thermos with the wheat, leave that shit overnight.

In the morning, cream of wheat breakfast. Add honey or cinnamon if you're a rich fuck. Cost .. . approximately 3 cents. I didn't come up with this, google the 3 cent breakfast and you can find the guy who did. I read it a long time ago.

>> No.81071

>>81058
that's actually true though

>> No.81096
File: 610 KB, 2513x2729, 1304113334869.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>79561
It's actually a lot of fun learning to make your own instruments. I had a college music class where we got to make our own instruments (look into World Music and different types of instruments outside of the classic western/orchestral instruments most of us know), and I was really impressed with the enjoyability of it, and the hurdles towards making a good instrument (it's not as easy as you think, but it's challenging in a good way... requiring thought and technique and research). You can experiment with methods and ideas and get really fucking creative.

Plus, if it's any type of instrument that involves wood, well... woodworking in general is a good hobby, too. Get a knife and scrap wood is everywhere.

>> No.81100

>>81047
http://www.bigshotbikes.com/track-bikes.html

That white one on top is so fucking hipster.

I want it...

>> No.81106

>>81071
Not really.
If you don't want to spend money working on your bike, that sounds like a fixed gear bike to me.

>>81100
They all look kinda urban bling to really be hipster.

>> No.81129
File: 165 KB, 562x490, 1296060412606.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Stock up on caned foods.
-Canned foods are cheaper.
-Canned foods have a longer shelf life.
-One year from now that canned food will still be eatable, can't say the same for that frost-bitten vegetables.

>Tupperware.
Go to your local dollar-store and stock up on it. Use this Tupperware to save all your leftovers. What was once Tacos leftovers from Monday, can now be Nachos for Wednesday.

>Schedule
If you got 9hours to fuck off on 4chan, then you got 30min to create a meal-chart for the week.
Knowing what you are going to eat beforehand can cut down on expenses. Knowing what you are going to eat today and what can be eaten as leftovers later saves a lot.

>Learn to cook!
You don't have to be a chef, but at least know how to work a rice cooker or boil water.
The microwave is the enemy of a Frugal lifestyle. Yes microwaving a frozen dinner is easy, but that frozen dinner will cost twice much more than making it on your own. Also knowing the convince of a frozen-dinner tends to make people splurge a ridiculous amount of cash on them. Stay away from it.

>> No.81147

>>81129

speaking of microwaves, most people are too lazy to learn to use the power levels on the microwave. Learn how to use those and suddenly BAM you can cook like 10x as many different foods in there without it being all hot and shit on the outside and cold and frozen in the inside.

e.g. you pull a leftover bowl of spaghetti out of the microwave. Before you read this, you might have hit "minute plus," and dealt grudgingly with that awful inconsistency of the food. But have some pride: set that shit to 50% power and cook it twice as long. The same amount of heat goes in, but the heat that goes in first has time to spread toward the middle. It's such a good feeling when that shit pops out and you can stick your fork right in and start eating without having it feel all ghetto.

Once you get a feel for your microwave, you can take something that you might estimate at 90 seconds, and turn it around to 70% power and cook it for 2 minutes 9 seconds and BOOM it's totally more delicious, edible and classy.

One small tip though, cooking under 25% sucks.
Another small tip, most microwaves won't let you use fractions like 2/3 or 1/3. You can use fifths if you like, or substitute 70% for 2/3.

Also, once you attain my high levels of microwave proficiency, you'll even learn how to spread it out so that you heat for e.g. 112 seconds at 60%, then, boom, 37 seconds at 90%! Holy shit, that's tasty now! Who's a motherfucking bitch-over-nature now? Where that confidence at now, dawg, yaknowwhatimfeelin? I'm a nasty bastard! You ain't just thinkin bout fuckin me from the front.

tl;dr: learn to use your microwave's power levels

>> No.81149

I sold my house and live in a trailer. Much happier for it.

>> No.81155

>>80244
t-that was beautiful, simply beautiful

>> No.81157

>>81149 cont'd
Use less energy. I keep it pretty cool in here and dress warmly: sweaters and wool socks. If I had an automated way to drain my water lines I could turn the heat off during work and not worry about freezing.
Showering with cold or even lukewarm water sucks, but some people do it... not that I would. If I did though I'd save about 30 bux a month.
Put insulation where it counts, the cost of insulation may pay for itself quickly depending on your situation.
Foil line windows in summer to keep heat from radiating in.
My window covers are sheets from wherever, no fancy curtains for me.
No name brand frozen dinners on sale can be as low as 80 cents.
Ramen noodles.
I eat my cereal with water (seriously).

>> No.81180

>>81157
how's the water cereal? Does it taste good? You have intrigued me.

>> No.81204

Not dude that posted but I have had water cereal before... it is BAD

>> No.81225

Walking/running is free.
"free" music and movies
internet tv
Use only a cellphone, no land line, and don't pay for data.
Buy used clothing, it's cheap and you can actually find pretty cool items.
Carpool if you drive a car.
Buy loads of pasta/rice/potatoes, those are really really cheap bulk foods that can be stored for a long time and cooked to go with pretty much anything.
Buy cheaper, lower quality meat, and just marinate it for 24 hours before cooking so it doesn't suck.
a multivitamin pill every day is cheaper than fruits + veggies.
Eggs for breakfast keeps you full.
Cook everything in bulk to save time.
Local deals and coupons are your best friends.

>> No.81235

>>81032

actually people get really pissed when someone takes their pallets. thats usually one of the main things that a manager or owner complains about. so watch yourself when you take one from somewhere like you said.

>> No.81251

>>81235
this is true , back when i was on junk that was my hustle . i used to get 3 dollars for each four way pallet . ask nicely and you'll get some

>> No.81268

>>81225
>Buy used clothing, it's cheap and you can actually find pretty cool items.
anything but this

>> No.81288

Print out those fake coupons for food. I've got a shit ton of food-related coupons saved on my computer, and nearly all of them work.

>> No.81303

>>81268
Actually a lot of 'vintage' clothing decades old is often in better shape than the cheap crap you see at low-end shops(Old Navy, Walmart, Target) selling garments at the same price range.

>> No.81317
File: 53 KB, 680x568, sotd110610[1].jpg_w=680&amp;h.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Use a DE razor to shave, instead of a cartridge one. Way cheaper in the long run.

>> No.81566

>>81106
>> If you don't want to spend money working on your bike, that sounds like a fixed gear bike to me.
In the past 4 years I spent maybe $150 on my mountain bike in repairs.
Plus I don't look like a douche while riding it.

>> No.81603

>>81180
It's not great at first but you get used to it, adjust, and eventually come to like it. Especially if you've got a roarin' hunger on.

>> No.81607

Instead of eating lunch take a walk. The exercise will do you goood

>> No.81627

>>81129
>>81129
>>81129
>>81129
I would argue that frozen dinners are probably cheaper if you take the value of your time into account. You can usually find them for around $1 each if you buy in bulk and it takes less than a minute of your time to take them out of the box and microwave....

Making your own meals is a lot healthier though...

>> No.81636

>>81627
>Making your own meals is a lot healthier though...

So the act of preparing a meal and eating it makes it magically healthier?

I don't see it.

>> No.81639

>>81636
frozen dinners use the lowest grade meats and other ingredients, and are full of artificial flavors, preservatives and colors, as well as using large amounts of salt and sugar to balance the flavor. They are also often made using cheap fillers like potato starch, meaning the can put less of everything else in it, and it still weighs the right amount.

Making a meal yourself gives you control over what goes into it.

>> No.81640

>>81636
>>81636
>>81636
I thought /diy/ didn't have as many trolls but maybe I'm wrong.

I meant that making the meals yourself is healthier because you don't have to but all of the preservatives and added chemicals that are put into tv dinners to allow them to be mass produced and last forever...

>> No.81647

>>81636
the amount of sodium in frozen dinners is ridiculous

>> No.81671

SOUP. as a poor person, soup is your friend. You can make it on the cheap since it's mostly water, and you can use leftover/stale vegetables or meat that has dried out a little, and it'll still be just fine.
If you keep adding water to it, you can stretch a pot of soup out for a looooong time....

>> No.81677

you can turn down your heat during the winter and stay warm by layering up on clothes,use towels to block drafts under doorways, and maybe cuddle up to something warm, like a pair of boobs or a hot water bottle.
If you fill a clean sock up with uncooked rice, tie off the open end, and microwave it for a couple minutes, you'll have a nice little sack of heat for several hours. The smell of the heated rice is unique and somewhat pleasant.
I sleep with one on my belly or wrapped around my feet on cold nights. feels super, man.

>> No.81682
File: 57 KB, 397x393, 1294949149989.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>81677
I just move my PC into my bedroom during the winter.
My GTX580 puts out enough heat to warm my room, no need to turn on the heat.

>mfw my room is toasty.

>> No.81685

two words
great value

>> No.81947

>>81106
This guy is right
Fixies are lighter, and fewer parts means fewer problems.

>> No.81968

I am amazed at the cheap food some of the posters are willing to put in their body. This is precisely why so many people are fat, sick and dying.

Pretty fucked up society when people can't even afford to eat. The average Cuban is healthier than the average American because they grow their own food and can't even afford some of the pricey treats Americans consume.

Very few Americans I believe could actually afford to eat a totally healthy diet unless they grow it themself.

Put down a layer of water permeable cloth on your lawn and put some squash seeds in their. In a few months you will have more veggies than you know what to do with.

inb4 some troll says that squash is technically a fruit.

>> No.81989

>>81968
>I am amazed at the cheap food some of the posters are willing to put in their body. This is precisely why so many people are fat, sick and dying.

>The average Cuban is healthier than the average American because they grow their own food and can't even afford some of the pricey treats Americans consume.

You're all over the place, man.

>> No.82050

Bump for the magic of frugal living.

>> No.82060

>>80318
You actually think that person is black? You're a tard beyond all tards.

polite sage

>> No.82064

>>81157
>>81180
>>81204

Oatmeal for breakfast. Same basic concept, but with warm oatmeal. Just mix oatmeal, a little salt and water and pop it in the microwave for a minute. slice an apple/banana in if you feel its too bland. much cheaper than regular cereal, healthy and will keep you alert well into the afternoon.

>> No.82173
File: 35 KB, 384x439, 1310961011797.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>81989
>>81989

All the high fructose corn syrup is rotting your brain and making it hard for you to focus.

>> No.82375

>Pocket Change:
Start picking that shit up!
A majority will think they are too good to be seen picking up change they accidentally dropped. Some idiots drop it because they don't want to carry change.
This is your chance at a goldmine that's hardly ever tapped into!
See change, Pick it up. By the end of the year I guarantee you will have collected enough to buy yourself something nice.

I make $200-300 a year picking up change!

>> No.82401

Big ups to the person last week who put up the Geocaching link. Well done Sir. Free treasure hunts anywhere in the world.

>> No.82413

>>82375
>I make $200-300 a year picking up change!
Where the fuck do you live? A city? I'm lucky to see two quarters in an entire year.

>> No.82422

>>81968
Any tips on how to have a healthy diet as a poorbro? I am a pretty mediocre chef right now, looking for healthy and cheap recipes.

>> No.82429
File: 49 KB, 450x338, 1292647735794.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>82413
Yes, location does play a big part, but knowing where to look maters more.

The city streets are an easy find for coins, but their are better places to look.
>Mall.
The mall is crawling will dropped coins. search the food-court.
>Vending machine
People tend to put too much change in and forget to retrieve it or simple let change drop to the ground near it. Do a quick search.
>Fast-food restaurants
Change is always near the counter or on the sidewalk near the exit.

>> No.82673

>>82375
>>82375
>>82375

MEGA FUCKING DITTOS!!!!

I easily find a minimum of a hundred bucks a year in change. People are so fucking brain dead now it defies belief.

Just last month I had to go Western Union some money to get a bill paid in a hurry. Had a buddy loan me fifty to make the full amount. I got out of my truck, say a wet soiled twenty just laying their at my feet. I picked it up and handed it to him and said here I owe you thirty now! We both got a good laugh.

You absolutely would not believe how much money people drop. If you walk your dog early in the am go by any drive ups in your area, look down. Pay phones, pretty much any place anyone gets in their pocket especially if they were drunk the night before and you are the first guy there in the am.

Isn't really enough to where you can plan a day around it but if you learn to make it a habit you will really be surprised what you haul in.

Nothing like being short on cash and finding a twenty, fifty or a hundred just laying there. Hundred bucks is the most I ever found but twentys can be pretty common. Easier to spot if it snows where you live as that U.S. green sticks out from the other side of a parking lot.

>> No.82690
File: 194 KB, 1280x960, Picture 55.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I could be biased as I am getting into urban farming but you can pretty much live off potatoes.

I have heard that potatoes and milk are a complete food source. All the protein, fiber and vitamins you need for the day. Potatoes are the most nutritious plant food known. Five bucks of potatoes can feed you for days. This is why there have been so many poor farmers in history relying on them. A potato field and a couple of milk cows you have a basic diet. Maybe kill a deer once in a while and take an odd job to pay for some extras.

I plan on growing truckloads of these little spuds.
>>82422
>>82422

>> No.82698

>>82690
its potatoes and cabbage. they provide all the amino acids and most of the vitemins you need.

>> No.82704

>>82698
Jesus christ your place must stink

>> No.82710

Stir Fry.
If you're into asian food that is. I can buy frozen packages of veggies with frozen noodles for $3-4. Lasts about 10 meals. A package of stir fry beef will last 3-4 meals. That's $4ish.
Oil a pan, med. heat, drop in the beef, some stir fry marinade sauce (I found some in the clearance section for $1.25, about halfway through it and it's been 6 or 7 meals so far) and cover it and cook it for 5 minutes or so. Then throw your veggies in, add some pepper and other spices you might want, a little more sauce and cook until the veggies are done. You'll have a nice healthy meal for a couple bucks.

Also, skip breakfast if you can. I can stand to wait until noon to eat, I'm not usually hungry before 11 anyways. If you have to eat breakfast, oatmeal with honey, cinnamon, vanilla and some fruit, if you can afford it.

>> No.82727

>>82690
true, all that.

I get the bags of red baby potatoes at the store, get the organic ones as the others sometimes won't sprout. eat some, stick the rest or the uglier ones in a box of dirt, water once ina while, keep it in the window. pop it open a month or two later, ten times the taters filling it up.

im not too involved in growing food but a tater box is easy and definitely doubles your food dollar over a month or three

>> No.82739

>>82690
>>82698

this is the second time today i've seen /diy/ give out appalling nutrition advice.

you guys need to cut this shit out. if you're going to try to do shit yourselves, you're going to have to know what the fuck is going on with the shit you're doing.

>> No.82740

TURNING RAMEN INTO FOOD
I did this just today op. trust me, It works.
1: put 2 cups of water, seasoning packet, and 1tsp soy sauce in small pot, boil dat shit.
2: beat an egg and add to water while stirring with fork, you now have mofuckin eggdrops
3: Put da ramen in dat shit. Roll up 2 slices of ham together and chop them into thin strips. Put it in da pot
4: eat dat shit.
td;lr a decent meal for about 50 cents and me trying to talk like a negro.

>> No.82745

>>82739
LISTEN TO THIS MAN, HE IS CORRECT.
these fucktards don't know shit about nutrition.
in simple terms you need the following:
4 grain, 3 veggie, 2 meat, 1 dairy
that should be your eating ratio, ajust for caloric consumption. you need to get vitimans as well.

>> No.82747

>>82739
naysayers on /diy/ are required henceforth to explain, since they know it all, the alternative method which meets their own criteria for DIY of whatever they are saying nay to.

>> No.82758

>>82747
not the guy but come on how the fuck do you not understand that a potato has next to no nutritional value. the ratio of starch and water to nutritional content is appalling. you will only get vitamin C, B6 and a few minerals. it's lacking in iron, vitamin A, and other key nutrients. it's okay to have a medium portion of your diet be potatos, but more than 20% is never going to be healthy.
the whole notion that someone can survive off of 2 foods for an extended period is absurd. any diet needs balance. and you are only going to find that through a mixture of grains, veggies, and protien.

>> No.82762

>>82758
good reply, now how to satisfy those needs cheaply, as OP requested.

potatoes make a decent source of carbs/starch, right? and are a good cheap veg to grow as part of diet. like I said buying a bag, you can plant a few and end up with many more for free.

I wasn't the one that posted that it is a complete diet btw, I just said theyre cheap, easy to grow, and you can get twice as many that way...

how would you say to make food cheaper and still satisfy nutritional needs? any /diy/ ideas or are you just here to naysay?

>> No.82771

well here it goes. a man weighing 185 and standing 6'2" will maintain weight on 2700 calories assuming he sits around all day youre on 4 chan you do. 23954 calories per week. I'll be using the weekly add from my local grocer for this one.

Master list
Eggs (1.89) (840)
2 pounds Oatmeal (1.40) (3484)
1 pounds cheese (4.00) (1600)
1 loaf good bread or bag tortillas (3.00) (2000)
3 pound pork roast (4.00) (3660)
cheap bbq sauce (1.00)
1 pound london broil (5.00) (853)
2 pounds brocoli (2.00) (308)
3 pounds potatoes (1.50) (1266)
3 pounds tomatoes (3.00) (246)
2 pounds pasta (2.00) (3366)
1 pound swai fillet (3.00) (581)
price total = 31.79
Calorie total = 18,121

>> No.82772

>>82771
wrong calorie perweek number there, should be 18900

>> No.82777

know someone who works in a shop.
enough food is thrown out without being sold t feed all the people below the poverty line and it's all just being wasted.
if you don't you can just go dumpster diving behind shops to get packaged food that was on the shelves just minutes ago.

>> No.82783
File: 202 KB, 419x691, 1320969970880.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>82710
>>Also, skip breakfast if you can.

Stop it right there. Three meals a day, or grazing through out the day, is important for your health.

>> No.82792

>>82771
again, this thread isn't about exactly how much is needed, but about /diy/ ways to make those needs less expensive to fulfill.

although having it written out like that is cool.

your list isn't vegetarian or vegan either though- how do vegans survive for decades by not following your list? or people who have less budget than that?

>> No.82798

Humans can survive on very, very little food. Is it healthy? No. The number of foods you should eat a day is a healthy suggestion. I can assure you that I have not eaten the suggested amounts every day in my life. Hell, probably only a tiny fraction of my life. I'm still going strong though. Find a diet that works for you, there is no perfect universal diet.

>> No.82807

>>82798
so it's safe to say that someone broke, who needs to be frugal for a while, could actually do all right on potatoes, milk, cabbage, and bread for a while?

I fucking am so sick of the derailing troll naysaying safety kids on /diy/ right now, you don't even know

just let people explain what they're doing and how, for fuck's sake.

>> No.83103

>>82783
Actually it's the opposite.

http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Diet-Biological-Powerhouse-Explosive/dp/1583942009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&
amp;qid=1323004516&sr=8-1

Yeah, "warrior diet" sounds silly, but the principles behind it are rock solid.

>> No.83108

Take it from me
I dont eat breakfast, i dont eat lunch.
I only eat, once, at night after i wind down from working all day.
I smoke a pack a day, which stops the hunger pains all day ( i didnt smoke at all one day, and i ate breakfast, 3 lunches and when i got home).
I drink at least 3 500ml cans of energy drink, filled to the brim with sugar sugar sugar, every day.

I'm just over 90kg, 50%muscle50%fattyfatfat

You dont need 3 square meals every day to survive, anybody tells you otherwise? fucking stupid. Im the proof, the last day i had 3 square meals was last christmas with the entire family.

As long as you drink water all the time, and get SOMETHING into your body at night time, you can survive.

Hell, the asians can live on a bowl of rice a week, think about that. A fucking WEEK. I couldnt even do that.

>> No.83109

>>82807
You'll need some source of water-soluable vitamins (esp C) and a better protein source.

Not a 'for good health' but 'to avoid permanent debilitating damage'. Also depends on how long you're talking.

>> No.83110

>>83108

UGH I don't think I'll be taking anything from you, thanks. No, no hug. Back off.

>> No.83111

A very cheap hobby/social evening is pen-n-paper rpgs, as long as you don't have to buy little figures or tons of books. Granted, you might be unlucky and can only find horrible people to game with.

>> No.83113 [DELETED] 

>>83108

You are obviously either a meth head, lying, drunk or trolling.

Have you been checked out by a physician to know that you are just fine? Or do you just feel ok since you are 15?

>Hell, the asians can live on a bowl of rice a week, think about that. A fucking WEEK.

I lived in Asia for a number of years. WTF are you talking about?

ISHYGDDT

>> No.83115

>>83113
Australia doesnt count as Asia.

>> No.83117

>>83108
enjoying your stomach ulcers from smoking on an empty stomach? you will soon.

>> No.83118

>>83115
yea your full of shit kid, your going to die pretty soon if you keep that up.

>> No.83120

>>83117
Since when does smoking on a full stomach make it healthier?

>> No.83121

>>83120
i didnt say that. i said

enjoying your stomach ulcers from smoking on an empty stomach? you will soon.

ill break it down for you becuase you are obviously retarded.

smoking on an empty stomach allows smoke to get trapped in there. it slowly eats away at your stomach lining and causes ulcers. want to know how i know this? happened to my friend, he is fucked now. took over 30 years off his life.

so you better start enjoying them kid, your in for a hell of a ride.

>> No.83123

>>80214
That's fraud, you stupid fuck. eBay sellers have it hard enough, without assholes like you making it worse.

>> No.83127

>>83121
Well thinking like that;
As long as you smoke only when you cant eat another bite, you wont get stomach ulcers.
Just me or does that sound a bit silly?

Obviously your friend had a weak stomach.

There was this guy i knew, and by "knew" i mean i didnt know him at all, and it was a friend of a friend's friend, but he was one of those sihks? (Turban wearing, vegetables only)

Anyway he didnt smoke or drink, against his relegion, and he died of lung cancer when he was 40ish.

I'm smoking as im typing this.

>> No.83129

>>82807
Look, medical bills are a LOT more expensive than spending a few extra bucks for nutritious food. Through dieting alone, I once caused myself to have a Vitamin B12 deficiency. If I hadn't had a blood test done, and kept up at that rate, I could have caused nerve damage or any number of other problems.

There are plenty of ways to save on good food--coupons, sales, growing some shit yourself. But never, ever think you're saving money by eating just a few foods per day, because it will come back to haunt you later in BIG medical bills.

I'm a very frugal person, but I learned the hard way that some things aren't worth saving money on because they're more expensive in the long run. I tried to do a repair, injured both arms, lost my job (it had no disability benefits), and still don't have 100% use of my hands/arms to this day. It would have made a lot more sense to spend $20 on a new item, instead of trying to fix the old one.

tl;dr - Frugality is about saving money long-term, not just right now.

>> No.83130

>>83121
>>smoke goes in lungs not stomach
stress and bacterial infection cause ulcers. NOT smoking. smoking goes along with stressful situations, and is used as a coping mechanism by people who have a difficult time coping with life.

ergo: he smokes because he has no coping mechanisms- his stress also gave him ulcers

smoking is unhealthy but not in that way, no matter what.
I want to add "you idiot" but this is /diy/ so I will say kid.

http://people.ku.edu/~jbrown/ulcer.html

>> No.83131

>>83127
no kid, you still dont understand and its obvious you are 15, or have the mind of one. you are twisting my words. stop it. you will fuck your stomach up if you smoke with nothing in it. that is a fact. nothing you try to say will ever change that kid.

your free to be an idiot if you want, i wont stop you. but smoke on an empty stomach, and its worse. a lot worse.

this is comming from a smoker to. same goes with even more if you smoke bongs on an empty stomach.

so you keep being an ignorant little 15 year old kid, i wont stop you. but heed my warning, stop being a shit cunt if you want to live till your old.

>> No.83133

>>SMOKE GOES IN STOMACH
>>MADBRO SAYS SO MUST BE TRUE

>> No.83134

>>83130
the smoke isnt the direct cause of them, but they they doo hastily speed up the process. as i said, which you obviously are to retarded to read, is that smoking strips the lining in your stomach.

learn to read before you spew shit, kid.

>> No.83135

>>83133
dont act like a kid, no one is mad except the kid who thinks hes so hardcore because he smokes.

>> No.83137
File: 17 KB, 500x500, 276.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.83138

I actually don't smoke.

And no, it does not. If in fact you have read some scientific article stating that smoking strips the "lining" of your gut in any way, I would LOVE to read it.

<<says the biologist who studies ulcers in the lab

>> No.83140

Smoking killed my father, and raped my mother.

>> No.83142

>>83138
yes it does. as i said, i have a very dear friend who is going through this right now, as a direct result from smoking on an empty stomach.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/tobaccostatistics/a/cancerstats.htm

http://kidshealth.org/teen/diseases_conditions/digestive/ulcers.html

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/dailylife/a/basicssmoke.htm

http://smoking.ygoy.com/2010/01/22/why-does-smoking-cause-ulcers/

i like the last one, its basically what i said and you obviously chose not to read

>Smoking has been seen to increase the incidence of infection by this bacteria. >Research has shown that smokers have a greater incidence of ulcers. Not only this, their ulcers do not heal easily and can be fatal more than in non smokers.

>Another reason for smokers getting stomach ulcers is stomach acid. Stomach produces acid that is neutralized by naturally occurring sodium bicarbonate, an alkali, if there is any excess or if this acid goes out of the stomach. Smoking has been shown to reduce the amount of this alkali. Due to this, the acid does not get neutralizes if it gets out of the stomach.

>> No.83154

>>83142
and the research actually says...

wait, those are all "dear kids please don't smoke" sites. got anything with a paper. research. fuck, even something from an .edu

no?

smoking does not cause ulcers.

smoking makes you more liable to suffer more from many things, including ulcers. it degrades your body's defenses. cause? NO. smoking, especially SMOKING ON AN EMPTY STOMACH, has nothing to do with anything, and is no more risky than any other kind of smoking.

now can we talk about how to get cheaper rutabagas or something, and you stop yer naysay trollan?

>> No.83158

>>83154
ahh i love it when kids get butthurt. why dont you post some sauces to back up your claims kid? i did, and you didnt even try to dismiss them.

>get proven wrong
>call person a troll

this is why we cant have nice things, because of kids like you.

so where are you sources to back up your claims, kid?

>> No.83160

>>83158
I posted a research link .edu in my first reply to you.

>> No.83161

>>83158
or wait- you wanted me to prove a negative claim? lol/

your poor friend. I wonder if he knows his bro is now a crusader against something that isn't the source of his troubles.

>> No.83162

>>83160
that doesnt disprove my claims. in fact, it backs mine up. thanks for proving yourself wrong, kid.

>> No.83167

>>83161
once again, you keep seeing what you want to see.

smoking was the cause of his fucked up stomach. it was the linchpin, if you will. maybe if you read my posts instead of acting like "mr biologist super smarty man" you would understand what im talking about.

also

>biology
>a hard science

pick one.

>> No.83168

proven in every way: trying to be frugal is dangerous and will give you rickets, scurvy, death, and ulcers

>> No.83171

>>83167
this is related to /diy/ frugal how again?

dear frugal OP, please spend more on food, so you don't get teh ulcers

>>DEADLY ULCERS CAUSED BY SMOKE WHEN HUNGRY

>> No.83175

>>82771
Very nice, copied and saved for reference. However, is there anyone who could suggest a shopping list for around, say, a tenner a week? Please and thankyou

>> No.83177

>>83171
it isnt, but its related to that kid trying to act all hardcore. i wanted to give him a taste of his future with the story of my friend. then you came along being a cunt, and i proved you wrong.

now thats out of the way, everything i have to say about frugality probably has already been mentioned.

also this kid who smokes a pack a day is a retard, he said he was from australia, and smokes here cost $12-15 for a 25 pack. for $12-15, hell even $10 i can buy myself a weeks worth of food, which is nutritious as well as tasty (if you know how to cook that is)

>> No.83181

>>83177
36 year old chick non smoker here, without ulcers.
>>>your biologist

your misinformation about medical matters is a disruption.

>> No.83185

>>83181
shut the fuck up attention whore, you had no reason to bring your sex into this discussion other than wanting attention. fuck off and dont do that again.

now, im talking about smoking on an empty stomach. you probably dont do it to the extreme this kid was talking about, if you do it at all.

so how about you shut your mouth, ok whore?

>> No.83186

Don't have much to contribute but I will chip in with my own.

Buy eggs - cheap source of protein and good breakfast

Drink water throughout the day - living in france at the moment and these fuckers all have at least a litre bottle of water in their bags when they go to work - take a swig if you're thinking about having a snack, tones the hunger down, it's also pretty damn good for you to stay hydrated. Also, once you have a bottle just refill that motherfucker and you have free drinks for the day.

Pasta/rice - cheap as fuck and keeps for a while. Aforementioned eggs can be added.

Frozen veggies - not as good as their fresh counterparts, yet you can get a decent mix of veg which will keep and get you some of them vitamins all the cool kids love

Tuna - comes in tins, relatively cheap, protein and tastes good.

Take your leftovers, use them.

Eat breakfast.

Cycle/skate to work - Do something you like (personally I take my longboard). Gets you some excercise, perks you up for the day and it's cheaper than the bus

I'm saving a decent amount of money living pretty cheap (hoping to get a year of uni minimum paid off by the time I graduate), and that's with buying myself treats e.g. couple of six packs a week and a pack of fags every other week.

>> No.83192

>>83185
I don't smoke. I am probably your mother's age.

Your ignorance detracts from the discussion and could cause kids to fear random shit that isn't true.

yes, I will have sex for money. do you have a job, son?
>>83186

on the note of cheap veg, even cheaper is to hit the farmer's market for in-season. when something is in season, there's a glut. and it gets cheap as fuck. spending a little time learning to can veggies, or pack freeze them at home, solves both the "cheap hobby" and the "cheap food" as well as the "GODS SAKE YOU CANT ONLY EAT POTATOES" problems all at once. Combine fresh season veg with crock pot and freezer or canning and you can eat super cheap.

>> No.83198

>>83192
no your my wifes age. if you were her id slap you back into line. i dont hit women, but ill smack a bitch.

>yes, I will have sex for money

ohh god, your more pathetic than i thought. everything you have said has not been rendered dismissible due to that comment.

holy shit you are low.

>> No.83201

>>83177
Never said i was from Australia, just pointing out the fact that unless you've lived in some of the poorest places in Asia, you wouldnt know what its like to live on a bowl of rice a week.

And i'm older than you.

>> No.83203

>>83198
your wife likes being a shitty whore who also gets beaten for the rent money, then?>

cute, that.

>> No.83210

>>83201
i didnt say my age, and you said you were from australia kid

>Australia doesnt count as Asia

want to make up some more shit kid?

>>83203
my wife is a saint. i never have to hit her because she knows her place, and isnt a bitch like you.

also you are not a woman, but some gay guy, its obvious with your last post. keep making up shit on the internet, faggot.

>> No.83212

For fucks sake. I'm aware that internet discussion inevitably turns to the slander of mothers and assertions of homosexuality, but I'd quite like to learn some more motherfucking frugal methods. You know, like as was suggested in the OP.

>> No.83258

Housing: Avoid rent by living in a van (google vandwellers) OR mom's basement OR share rental house with lazy dudes and do the yard and housework to defray rent cost OR buy an old small trailer and scrap of land to put it on. Work hard to minimize your electric and heating bills.

Appliances, housewares, and clothes: Periodically check out a thrift store for things. Coffee makers for $4, expensive name brand overcoats for $8, nice chinaware and cultery, and even major appliances can be gotten for 10% or less of regular cost.
Food: Buy staples in bulk and cook it yourself.

Eat meat only 2 or 3 times a week. Don't buy junk food like potato chips and other snacks. Pack a lunch when you go away from home. Work in the food industry and receive meals as a perk. Live with lazy dudes and do their cooking and KP in exchange for free food.

Transport: use a bicycle if you can, even if you live in a van. Owning a bike and not a car will save you tons of money. Own an older Honda civic hatchback.

Use a debit card instead of a credit card. Avoid debt. Avoid interest charges.

Don't smoke or drink alcohol. If you want to drink, brew it yourself. You can also grow tobacco, but it leads to expensive health problems later.
(Cont.)

>> No.83260

Fitness: Bicycle for cardio, bodyweight exercises at home, YMCA classes for Karate, Yoga, gym access, etc.

Hobbies/ Social Activities: PnP RPGs with decent people (ones that don't require lots of stuff for each person), Yoga classes (lots of girls), library (even if just for DVDs), learn to play a musical instrument. Minimize phone-cable-internet expenses. If you are spending a week's wages on it every month, you should think hard about it. Avoid relationships with people that are mooches.

Health/ Medical: Eat healthy and stay fit is really all you can do. Avoid physically dangerous jobs that won't cover injuries or job-related health issues.

General Rule Of Thumb: Saying; "My time is too valuable to bother with ____________." is usually BS. It only applies if you are spending that time actually earning more than it would cost to DIY, not when you order pizza so you can spend more time on Skyrim or World of Warcraft.

>> No.83269

>squatting
>dumpster diving
>stealing
>not bathing
>not working
>using my friends computer to get on /diy/

>> No.83291

Rice and legumes (beans) eaten together are a staple of frugal eating in many countries.

one example:
POPEYE'S RED BEANS AND RICE

1 c Uncle ben's long grain rice - cooked
2 cn Red chili beans in chili
- gravy--1 lb each
1 t Chili powder
1/4 t Cumin
1 Dash garlic salt

In saucepan heat beans without letting it boil and
stir in chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. When
piping hot, spoon chili mixture into 6 small dishes,
adding a few tb of hot, cooked rice to each serving.
Season with Chili Seasoning Mix, if desired. 270 cal, 5.9 gr fat, 60% fat.

>> No.83296

Even more frugal is to use bulk rice and bulk dried beans.
Soaking the beans for 24 + hours with some baking soda creates a foam on the surface of the water. This is the enzyme that creates the infamous "bean gas". Adding the baking soda, rinsing them and scraping the scum when boiling removes it.

>> No.83298

>>83296
Baking soda destroys pepsin and fucks up your digestion.

>> No.83300

Only if you consume the baking soda by drinking the water you soaked your beans in.

>> No.83305

>>82690
>>82690

Sorry but I didn't realize potatoes made such excellent troll food.

This forum is limited in the amount of space you are allowed for your submissions so I was only trying to give a general idea about using potatoes for a food source.

And yes these have been a staple of many civilizations both in the Americas and Europe as well.

I did not mean to imply that you could live off of only potatoes although many a poor Irishman or Russian has obviously done back in the day.

If many of you have traveled to third world areas you know this is how many people eat. Rice, rice, rice and then maybe some fruit or a piece of meat when they can find it. Many cultures through history did not in fact have a richly varied diet but had a few main staples and spent the rest of their time trying to acquire the extras like vegetables, meats etc.

Sorry if this concept is lost on you.

Obviously if you only ate any two foods over time you would start to develop problems boredom being one of them.

What I was implying was that the potatoes provide your fiber, carbohydrates and some vitamins and the milk provides the protein, fat and minerals and what ever other vitamins you don't receive.

This is just a basic starting point for a frugal lifestyle. Of course you would need to supplement it with other things which I in fact said originally.

>> No.83308

>>82792
they buy cheap shit or have enough money to eat healthfully (vegetarian) I am of the opinion that a vegan diet is never healthy.

>> No.83409

>>83308

A bold and unfounded assumption, my friend. It's certainly possible to eat unhealthily as a vegan, but as one of a growing number of vegan athletes I can tell you that my health and performance level is easily above that of my lesser omnivorous brothers. Do some research, it'll do you good.

>> No.83546

>Use a debit card instead of a credit card. Avoid debt.

Probably the biggest single thing to do.

>> No.83548

>frugal
>smoking

>> No.83560

>>82690

my anthropologist friend told me this; she said you'd be a little deficient in vitamin C but adding oranges to this kind of diet would fix that.

>> No.83578

If I were to save pocket change in a small container, would it be worth it to save any coins except Dimes, and Quarters?

>> No.84069

>>83578
In the quote, all I saw was that it can make you more likely to develop issues, and I saw nothing about smoke going in the stomach. Also, internet tough guy act made me almost lol.
>>83158
Most definitely. I work in a gas station, and we yank excess pennies out of the take a penny dishes to keep out of sight of crackheads (general term we use for the ghetto rats around here). Typically there's a couple bucks built up by the people who don't bother using them, in an 8 hour period. Then we don't use pennies on the shifts that do use them.

Our paper guy picks up every penny he sees on the ground. Dude probably finds about 50 cents to a dollar on the various floors he visits. He respects thee take-a-penny, though. Classy dude, even if he's crazier than hell and just asked me if I could ever gurgle urine like they did in old oiman days.

>> No.84073

>>83578
I was kind of thinking about it. Do you likee throwing money away? I mean, at our gas station a refill costs $.96. Assuming you work 5 days a week, 52 weeks, and pay a dollar each working day for a before / after work soda, that's 10.4$ a year you're throwing away, not keeping thos pennies.

I've never understood people who leave change. I toss all my change in a jar. Last time I emptied it, i'd been saving for about 6 months, and hadn't been using my debit card. There was 130$ in there. 50$ of that was nickels and dimes.

Man. Thinking about lost change makes me want to make my metal detector work again. That's something I should post about on /diy/ when I get home.

>> No.84079

>>83308
>vegetarian
>healthful
Lrn2paleo, have fun being sickly thin and atrophied from protein and b vitamin deficiency. Also enjoy being a slave to carbohydrate insulin spikes and dips that make you hungry all the time, and trying to satisfy that hunger with salad.

fruits and vegetables are dirt fucking cheap. Buy cheap frozen chicken, which is also cheap, stew meats and pork pork pork! High calorie foods like fatty meats keep you satisfied, i eat smaller meals because i don't feel the need to stuff my fat face. I'm not hungry till hours later. Want to make food go further? Eat more fat, eat more protien, cut the fucking carb addiction. Stabilize your insulin levels and food cravings wont rule your life.

As far as those trying to get by on potatoes, it is possible but miserable. Rice is better, but again you are always hungry. know that getting hungry 30 minutes after chinese food? Now thats your whole life.

>> No.84143

>>80222
He is, but it's true. I had a chinese seller send m the wrong item once, I told them I'd send it back but i wasn't paying for shipping, they told me to just keep and they'd send me my item. to bad the thing they sent me was a shirt that wasn't very flattering.

>never buy any food full price
make a list if what you want. if it's name brand, look on the manufactuerer's site for coupons.

if you have friends or family who get the sunday paper, ask them for the coupons. save them and when you write your list, only put stuff if you have a coupon for it, otherwise, wait.

Check the circulars for your local stores online before you go shop, see what specials they have. ALWAYS GET THE REWARDS CARD. Usually if you ask for one they will sign you up right at the register.

If you can buy in bulk, do it. Get two or three friends, split a membership to a bulk warehouse (it's usually around $80 a year). Even better if you can find one that has a gas pump.

Buy bulk staples and split them between you and your friends. DON'T BUY LUXURY SHIT. What the fuck do you need 180 popsicles for? Just get the meat, beans, beer, chips and dip, coffee/tea, cheese, bacon etc. Many price clubs also ahve coupons which you can use WITH the manufacturer's coupon. I saved about $60 on a $200 shopping bill recently, and I don't have to go shopping again for probably 2 weeks (it would be less frequent but we eat alot of fresh produce).

>> No.85882

not diy, but cheap. local indian grocer stocks MREs for about $3(AU) a pop. they are some gormet shit, all natural no preservatives

>> No.85889
File: 19 KB, 200x257, 1308978315001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>84079
>have fun being sickly thin and atrophied from protein and b vitamin deficiency
> fatty meats keep you satisfied
fatass detected. red alert, fatass detected.

>> No.85899

>>79549
>/diy/
>great board
choose one

>> No.86073

>>85889
Yeah thats why atkins makes people loose weight, because its the meat and fat that made us fat, not the corn syrup and wheat they keep jamming down our throats. Paleodiet is just atkins plus fruits, so none of the ketosis nastiness. Retard detected.

>he thinks meat, the staple of mankind for 100,000 years makes you fat
>he thinks grains are healthy, having higher caloric concentration and wreaking havoc on insulin levels
>doesn't know that humans have only eaten grains for 10,000 years and have yet to fully adapt
>Laughingwhores.jpg

>> No.86084

I get all my paper products from various public places for free. Paper towels, napkins, tp, etc. Also, stuff like sugar, sweernets, coffee creamers, plastic utensils...saves a lot of money.

>> No.86251

>>79566
+1 from another harmonica player. Best thing is, keep one in your pocket and whenever you're bored just sit down and have a play. If you're good enough, you might even start busking and make money off it!

>> No.86308

poor engineering student here sharing some advice:
- shave with a DE razor. they provide a shave equivalent to a $8 razor at 10 cents per blade replacement
- bulk floss. it is not common but sometimes you'll see it on ebay or military surplus. i bought probably a lifetime's worth for $30 or so. no more $3 packets of floss!
- you do not need toothpaste to properly brush or cream to properly shave (water is fine). though i prefer using both and they are cheap anyway.
- bar soap is fine for hair if you don't want to go for overpriced shampoo.
- you can use vinegar to cook AND CLEAN. it leaves a smell for the first couple hours but does a good a job as anything else.
- there is NOTHING WRONG with tap water. drink it. squeeze some lemon and chill it if you get tired of water.
- BIC pens write as well as pricier pens and they last so long I can't even get through a $1 pack/year and I'm a student
- seconding rice as a staple. rice cooker is convenient but not needed; you can cook rice in a closed pot, too
- eggs are cheap protein, great with rice, last awhile even w/o refrigeration. canned tuna, too, if you are not worried about mercury
- costco sells 500 (year and a half's worth) pack of multivitamins for $10 when on-sale
- seconding the guitar. the violin is my personal instrument, but guitar and piano are some of the few instruments that can self-accompany. plus, guitars are everywhere and decent ones are cheap!
- library, kindle, and torrented audiobooks (great for multitasking) for wholesome, mind-enriching entertainment

lol @ people recommending fixies. /diy/ worrying about maintenance!? give me a fucking break it's a fucking bike. a $20 POS mtn bike off craiglist will climb hills better than a fixie. Nobody will steal it, either.

>> No.86338

>>83300
I'm dying of laughter, thanks

>> No.86363

>>86073
meat hasn't been a staple food for thousands of years, basically since the beginning of civilization (farming) and there's a big difference between the meat you get today and the meat from thousands of years ago. That said, it's not like you can't eat meat and still be healthy, the way I like fries every once in a while, but it's expensive and unnecessary, which seems to be what this board is about.

>> No.86392

>>86363
>meat hasn't been a staple food for thousands of years
WUT

>> No.86394

>>86363
>meat hasn't been a staple food for thousands of years
lol wat
fuck off veganfag

>> No.86415

>>86392
>>86394

Not op, but I think he meant meat is not THE staple food, i.e. biggest part of your diet. Obviously there has been plenty of meat eating the past 10.000 years, but not as the main source of nutrition.

>> No.86452

>>81225
don't bother with cheap multi-vitamins like centrum or one a days. You'll just shit them out because your body can't assimilate most of the pill. Usually because they derive minerals and such from shit sources. For example they'll get calcium from clam shells or rocks which your body can't break down, but it's on the bottle so they win.

>> No.86976

Little things that amount ALOT:

-Carry your own water, stop buying those bottled water and bring your own container, same goes for your coffee

-stock up on non perishables- toilet paper and other shit like shampoo, detergent

-Learn to pay CASH- NO CREDIT CARDS

-Cook for yourself and eat healthy, no amount of vitamins can replace proper nutrition (protip; centrum isn't really the complete deal so are other vitamins on counter) Go to the market, go with veggies, fruits and proper amount of meat. In the long run it will pay off, then having to spend a fuck load of cash on a hospital bill.

-those are some of what i can think of so far, and a frugal lifestyle doesn't equal to a crappy life too. Try to treat yourself once in a while in anyway you feel deserving.

>> No.87459

-Fast one day a week. Fasting has amazing health benefits and saves on food cost for the day.
-Buy borax and mix it with water and keep in a jar. You have a shampoo substitute for almost nothing. Borax has plenty of other uses too like as a laundry detergent.

>> No.87710
File: 10 KB, 300x300, bananas1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can't believe nobody has mentioned these guys. They are usually around 40 cents a pound. They are tasty and filling. Most places with self check out will have discounted codes for ripe bananas for a few extra cents off.

>> No.89865 [DELETED] 

>>86308
- I advice toothpaste or toothpowder. The friction from raw toothbrush will not be cool for your gums and enamel. And paste kills bacteria and does some other good stuff too.
- Always boil tap water before drinking it. Even better - fill a casserole with water and let it stay for a few hours to get heavy stuff down, then boil it. If you have resources deep freeze it in a bottle and then boil melt-water. That will get it really clean. At the water station they get it to perfect drinking standarts, but have to add chlorine for it to survive a trip in shitty old pipes. Or else you would be immediately poisoned after you take a sip from a tap.
- Buy food at the store after you had your meal. And make a list of what you need beforehand. Then you'll be an ice-cool nigga and not a dumb spending fuck.

>> No.89877

>>81317
/brofist

>> No.90024

LEARN2COOK.

If you buy ready made food you will ALWAYS either get charged more or eat shit.

If you cook, cook large amounts, freeze leftovers for future meals.

Example: 300g ready-to-go pizza dough costs about 2,50€ here in Germany. 1kg of all purpose bread flour and 3 packs of fresh baking yeast cost about 2€.

>> No.90063

Fish oil or cod liver oil will substitute fish in your diet pretty much forever and is super cheap. Does wonders for your skin and joints (no homo). Eggs substitute meat protein for me most days, meat is pretty expensive where I live so I only eat chicken filets every few days. Squash, onions, eggplant, beans, carrots, cabbage, broccoli... all healthy as fuck and cheap too. Don't forget to take care of your body just to be as frugal as possible. You want maximum profit for a minimum investment, you know.

>> No.90071

The realization that if you live in a first world country, you really need to reexamine your life and figure out for yourself what exactly you need to have a fulfilling life.

Figure out the costs to live, so food water shelter.

Then figure out what you need, which might be a phone, internet, whatever.

And what you want like say a car.

People just need to break out of the consumption mindset of getting more and more and more. You don't NEED the latest iphone, you dont NEED $300 jeans.

I love nice things, I love all this new tech stuff and the latest fashion and video games. But it is not necessary to live a ffulfilling and fun life.

>> No.90088

>>86415
>Mongolians
>Inuits
>Chukchi people

The latter two are noted for having especially low rates of cardiovascular disease.

Obviously they have vastly different lifestyles requiring much more caloric intake than the average amerifat though.

Fermented walrus meat anyone?

>> No.90135

I make a pot of this to eat for a week:

Stick of butter
Any meat
Carrots
Potatoes
Water
Rice, if you want
Salt, if needed

Put in a pot and cook for about six hours. You will eat all week.

>> No.90138

>>90135
How do you keep that from rotting after the second day?

>> No.90145

>>90135
How is this not just boring as fuck?

>> No.90158

>>90138

not the same guy but probably the fridge or freezer

>> No.90159

>>90138

>refrigeration

But seriously, along these same lines, something I've heard of and tried is "perpetual stew". (this works particularly well for vegetarian/vegans, ie without the animal proteins, in my experience)

Make a pot of soup. When you've had your fill, refrigerate the rest. The next day, bring your soup to boiling and add more veggies and water, rice, barley, beans, whatever. Every day, bring your soup to boiling and add more to replace the volume removed. Theoretically you can start with minestrone and end up with chicken noodle soup after a few weeks. Because you're boiling it, you're killing the attempted buildup of bacteria that would otherwise multiply and take over your food after a week. Your soup is effectively never older than 24 hours, and just gets richer and more brothy over time.

This is where the "bean porridge in the pot nine days old" came from.

That's what people used to do, keep a cauldron and just chuck some more beans or a leg of cat or whatever in there once in awhile.
I love this board.

>> No.90778

>>90159
The only negative I can think of to that plan is the electricity/gas for your constant stove-running would get really expensive.

But that's basically what the family back home does over any holiday where there's a big meal. They leave a massive pot of soup/stew/broth going for the next week and slowly work it down.

>> No.90780

>>83308
a) I was saying that if you are choosing between vegetarian and vegan diets vegetarian is healthier
b) you are a silly fuck wit and if you are low carb its impossible to be an athlete

>> No.90795

>>90145
steal sauce packets from Taco Bell/Arby's, problem solved.

>> No.90827

>>90778 The only negative I can think of to that plan is the electricity/gas for your constant stove-running would get really expensive.

That reminds me, in my apartment the heat isn't free but I have access to as much scaldingly hot water as I want. I'm trying to figure out if I can rig up a sort of radiator-style gizmo so that I can warm the room a little without putting a ton of moisture in the air.

Aside from a personal hot water bag, of course, got that covered. Guess I'll report back if I come up with anything worthwhile.

>> No.90850
File: 709 KB, 2500x1674, DSC_6694.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you live in a city, I can advocate two words: scour Craigslist.

I have found the most insane deals there - my best find was a Thinkpad W520 for $350. I also found a nice working Rolleiflex 2.8f (a fancy old square-format film camera) for $200. On ebay these cameras typically go for $600+.

If you have a lot of patience and are willing to lurk on Craigslist once a day for what you want for sometimes up to a year, you'll inevitably find a steal.

Of course, you can find a huge number of great buys at garage sales, but that's more common knowledge.

Picture related; the Thinkpad I just got off Craigslist just recently.

>> No.90862

>>90850
>I have found the most insane deals there - my best find was a Thinkpad W520 for $350

Not a fan of possessing stolen goods, personally.

>> No.90874

>>90850
>>90850

Any time I need an article that costs more than twenty bucks I post an add in Craigslist items wanted section.

Usually I only use an email contact just to screen sellers and spammers.

>>90862

As for this guy I would say that there are a lot of trolls and assholes that like to hang here. Don't feed the trolls.

>> No.90879

I'm not going to play with the diet insanity on here, but just leave a little bit of general shopping advice:
COMPARE PRICE PER UNIT/SERVING/WHATEVER IS APPROPRIATE WHEN BUYING BULK OR ON THE CHEAP.

Seriously, the ppu for many bulk items is not cheaper than getting "normal" quantities. Some items, bulk is the only way to go, but not every and not all the time. Pay attention to the ppu and know prices at other retailers.

As for the on the cheap part, most of the stuff at Big Lots, Dollar General and the like is sold in less quantity for either the same ppu or a higher ppu than the same product at regular grocery stores/walmart. It's cheaper because you're getting less. Again, this isn't true for everything, but for enough that it makes it worth your while to pay attention to.

>> No.90882

>>90862
ignorance is bliss my good sir

>> No.90883

>>90879
> retailers
only a fool pays retail

I heard it on star trek 15 years ago

>> No.90885

>>90159

That is probably how most of humanity has fed itself for over ten thousand years.

I do the same thing. I don't even refrigerate it. If you keep a lid on it and heat it and add every day to the pot you shouldn't have any problems.

Although I do it I still wouldn't recommend not refrigerating your pot. I only mention it to show the general safety of the method.

>> No.90887

>>90879

That is one of the oldest scams in grocery right there.

>> No.90925

>>83158
It doesn't matter. Smoking is a waste of money and time in your life.

>> No.90951

>>90885
>>90778

hey, it's
>>90159

I didn't leave it on the fire or stove all the time - I refrigerated between times. Like, bring to boiling, eat, cool, put in fridge. Or, if it was coolish outside/in the house just leave it on the counter with a lid. Like >>90885 said I would not recommend not refrigerating, especially in a nice warm house, especially if meat soups, but for a veg soup out of doors in fall? sure, why not, less you have to heat it up later.

I've never gotten sick from it, and that stuff gets pretty damn tasty after a few additions and the original stuff starts to get cooked down into broth.

>> No.90984

Go to the closest casino, preferably a really busy one.

Pretend to play slots, walk around, drink the free coffee/soft drinks.

While you do this, keep your eyes on the machines, people will ALWAYS forget money in them.

# of people + money X alcohol = stupid

People leave money still loaded on the machine, which you can gamble with (don't) or you can just print the ticket out and cash it.

Look around for tickets, cash, or any machines with money on them.

I did this at a casino with a friend, I made 150$ in 30 minutes. Left with a big smile on my face. Be aware of security and pit bosses, but apart from that, good luck.

>> No.91455

Craigslist. CraigslistCraigslistCraigslist.

>> No.91487

SHIT IN PUBLIC:

I am a single male, I do not have toilet paper in my house. The shit is way too expensive, unless you wanna skimp on something that feels like mexican sandpaper on your ring hole.

I get by without any toilet paper by shitting at work, they are technically paying me for the time it takes me to shit, and I'm using their toilet paper - win, win.

On the off chance you do have to shit at home - can't hold it, stomach ache etc. You can always jump straight in the shower afterwards and clean yourself up anyway.

PISS IN THE SHOWER/DON'T FLUSH:
Why waste water flushing a toilet when you can just piss in the shower? If you've already had a shower for the day and are busting for a leak, piss outside, piss in a bottle and toss it in the trash.... as a last resort piss in the toilet, you have to flush, eventually you're gonna have to clean it etc. It's such a hassle. If you do have to piss in the toilet, since you should never be shitting there if you follow step 1. Just leave it and close the lid, let a few pisses build up before you flush.

>> No.91492

FUCK LIGHTING!

I've noticed in most apartments and a lot of houses, there is an excessive amount of lighting. Fuck lighting, electricity is expensive. To give you an example, there are a grand total of 4 lights in my kitchen, all operated by a single switch. What the fuck do I need 4 lights for? My fridge has a light in it, my microwave has a light in it, the oven has a light in it, the stove has a light over the top of it. And you still need to put 4 lights in a fucking kitchen? I unscrewed 3 of the bulbs and let the automatic lights in my appliances do the rest.

Anywhere there are multiple lights, unscrew some fucking bulbs, if you find the area is a little dim without all the lights, give it a chance, it's probably just you being used to 15 fucking lightbulbs. Alternatively, 4 x 60watt smoked bulbs = dimmer then 1 x 100watt clear bulb. Why the fuck people even use those smoked/diffusing light bulbs is beyond me, they are retarded and just make it need more bulbs.

>> No.91498

SHOWERING:

Take 1 shower a day. Right before you have to step out into public. That is all you should need if you use an appropriate amount of anti-perspirant, deodorant, cologne, whatever. There will be exceptions to this for people in manual labour jobs and what not, who sweat up a storm at work and come home smelling like wildebeasts. Regardless, get an egg timer, put it in the shower, or use a watch etc. Spend <4mins in the shower, that's all you need. Wash your face, wash your hair, wash your cock/vag and your asshole, give everything else a quick going over - Don't forget behind your ears. Get the fuck out.

Hot water = electricity and water costs, it is a beast on the bills.

The shower is for making yourself clean, not fucking standing there going HNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG as hot water falls on you for 45 minutes. Get clean, get the fuck out.

>> No.91513

CUT YOUR OWN HAIR:

A pair of clippers costs $30 - $50 depending on quality. A haircut costs $15 - $25 depending on where you go.

Don't be a faggot, your hairstyle probably sucks anyway, chances are you're a shut in, ugly, and bitches don't really give a fuck anyway. Buy a pair of clippers, shave your own head, use the little attachments if you want it a bit longer and can't deal with a number 1. Within just a couple of haircuts you've made your money back on the original price of the clipper costs and you can start saving from there on in by repeating the process.

>> No.91519

CLEANING:

Fuck detergent, hot water kills 99% of germs if it is above 60degrees. Just soak your dishes in some hot ass water and wash them. Detergent is a waste of money. Same as laundry detergent/powder, you get a stain on your shirt, chances are no matter what fucking laundry shit you use, it's gonna stay there, convert your shirt or whatever into a reuseable cum rag and move on. Your clothes will be no less clean if you just toss them in the wash sans washing detergent/powder.

Sweep and mop as much as you can as opposed to vacuuming fucking everything.

Dust using just a clean rag, don't worry about any of that spray on shit or fancy crap.

For toilets, walls and kitchens and what not, you can use vinegar. It'll smell for a couple hours afterwards and then it'll all be good. Shit loads cheaper then detergent, better for the environment, and you can use it in cooking as well as cleaning.

>> No.91530
File: 29 KB, 276x276, original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>91519
>Your clothes will be no less clean if you just toss them in the wash sans washing detergent/powder.

>> No.91553

>>91519
Detergent is necessary for a machine wash.

If you want to do without it then you must go back to mechanical stain removal - beating wet clothes on a rock, even then a soap of some sort will make things a lot easier.

>> No.91577
File: 1022 KB, 352x194, 2libo5s.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>91519
what.
yeah hot water kills bacteria but you need soap to loosen the food oils from your dishes that will make everything else taste terrible and like that food.
and you can make your own laundry detergent for cheaper with borax and bar soap, and your clothes will actually look and smell clean. or instead, get detergents formulated for cold water, which will save on heating bills.
i am never coming to your residence.

>> No.91637

>>91498
Women have to shave their armpits and legs as well as leave conditioner in the hair for 1 min. Shaving and showering in less than 4 min. is impossible. You'd cut your skin all over the fucking place, shaving that fast. Don't even get me started on the damage you'd do, trying to shave your pubic hair....

The sensible way to shower is to get a low-flow shower head with an on-off switch. That way, you can take your time while shaving, etc., because you can turn the water down to a trickle while doing so, then turn the water back on to rinse.

>> No.91642

>>91637
You can just turn the water off during such processes. 4 minutes is a bit asinine though.

>> No.91644

>>91492
You could also use CFL bulbs which save just as much energy, without your home looking like a haunted house.

>>91487
Are you trolling? If you shit at home and shower to clean up afterward, you're wasting a fuckton of water. And if you let piss sit around in the toilet for hours on end, you'll have to buy harsh cleaners AND waste water to keep the toilet clean. Not to mention, pissing in a container and throwing it away adds to the garbage in a landfill.

No wonder you're single. You're a filthy, disgusting slob who lives in the dark.

>> No.91702

Regarding the "Eternal Soup" or any other form of "just keep adding to it!" meal..

This is not safe food practice, even if you are popping that big pot in the fridge every night. This food is spending way too much time in the "Zone" and it is not magically one hundred percent safe just because you boil it.

1- speed chill a pot of soup Before putting it in the fridge. This means resting the bottom of the pot in a sink half-full of cold water and/or floating frozen (clean) water bottles in it with plenty of stirring. You want things to go from Hot to Cold as fast as you can.

2- Split that thing up
Try not to drag out the same giant pot and reheat the whole mass. Splitting it into smaller containers means it is easier to cool/freeze and easier to heat up the proper portion without wasting energy on an amount you are going to have to cool off anyhow.

Soups, stews, chilis, almost all freeze wonderfully, and you don't have to tie up your tupperware-knockoff dishes.

Just dose out the amount you want into a good ziploc-type (not a slider) bag, seal and freeze. Letting the bag(s) lay flat on a cookie sheet you have pre-chilled in the freezer helps fast freezing And will make it easier to store in your freezer.(a roundish 1 gallon ice boulder is hard to stack)

Even and flat freezing will make thawing easier too.

tl;dr
Cool things off faster for food safety and quality.
Save time, energy, dishes and Zone exposure by portioning.
This way that budget soup will still be worth eating.

Frugal side note:
at many fairs/events (in 'murica at least) you will find a booth being operated by the local energy company. Many times they are handing out free CFL bulbs just for the asking, probably part of some energy awareness mandate. Ask for a second, or third if they seem amenable!

>> No.91718
File: 17 KB, 300x225, smkid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All the money you tards are saving by eating shit on a daily basis, will be squandered by future prescriptions and medical bills.

>> No.91726

>>91637
>>91637
>>91637

>women have to shave

>frugal thread is frugal

>> No.91734

>>79573

>implying you wouldn't be malnourished from eating nothing but rice

>> No.91741

>>91637
>Women have to shave their armpits and legs as well as leave conditioner in the hair for 1 min
What?
There is no rule about shaving or conditioning your hair. No one HAS to shave at all, especially if you are living as frugal as possible.
Shampoo and Conditioner should be right out the window too. Baking soda for washing if you really need it and Apple cider vinegar for conditioning.
>BUT my hair gets nasty and greasy in 24 hours!!1!
The you're washing it too fucking much you retard. Your head produces natural oils to keep your hair and scalp nice, but if you are washing them away on a daily fucking basis, you body starts over producing them making your head a nasty oil pit. Stop washing your hair so harshly and let it do its own thing. Ideally, you should only need a rinse with water, no soap or anything, then let it air dry.

>> No.91744

>>91637
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but do you really need to have the water running constantly while shaving your legs?

>> No.91747

>>91744
Hell no you don't! Get a cup, dip to rinse. Ain't hard.

>> No.91783

>The you're washing it too fucking much you retard. Your head produces natural oils to keep your hair and scalp nice, but if you are washing them away on a daily fucking basis, you body starts over producing them making your head a nasty oil pit. Stop washing your hair so harshly and let it do its own thing. Ideally, you should only need a rinse with water, no soap or anything, then let it air dry.

True in most situations, but some people are more naturally greasy. That's like telling someone with disfiguring acne to just wash their face every night and it'll get better.

>Also, as a fellow chick I never leave the water running when I shave. Just lather up your legs and turn the water off and shave. Makes it easier to see where you've already shaved too. Quick rinse at the end.

>> No.91792

POOR MANS BEST FRIEND: SELF CHECK OUT
This is the easiest way to steal. Yes, it is stealing. It is easy to get away with, just be out of the cashiers line of sight.
All you do is pay for one thing, bag several. 4-1 is the perfect ratio. Great because you can get nice things like steaks, healthy foods, expensive juice etc and only pay for 1 dollar pasta or whathaveyou. I cant emphasize enough how awesome this is for poorfags. Even blatantly ripping of the store is possible, walking out with 15 drinks and paying for two.

>> No.91811

I was halfway through this thread then I hit all the posts with the retard who keeps calling people kids. I can't possibly imagine how dumb he is in real life.

On a side note, lentils are really cheap, easy and very filling. Just boil them in a bunch of water for 30ish minutes.

>> No.91826

>>91744
If you don't want to look like Jack the Ripper did a job on you...yes, you have to keep the soap fairly wet, if you have sensitive skin as I do.

But as I mentioned in another post, I use a low-flow shower head and turn the water down quite low when shaving, shampooing, etc. Reduces water usage considerably, yet you still have time to shower in comfort.

>>91792
You're not supposed to post illegal shit here. Also, self-checkouts at places like Wal-Mart have all sorts of shit in place to foil crap like what you're suggesting. Finally, WTF is the point of saving money, if you end up getting busted and have to post bail that costs more than you could ever hope to save by shoplifting?

>> No.91858

I just bought an extra freezer to store frozen goods when I find them on sale. It's irritating finding a great deal on meat or vegetables and knowing full well it's not going to fit.

>> No.91860

>>91826
>>91826

Agreed. I really think this coming generation doesn't really have a clue what it will look like when they really and honestly need to do all their shit on their own.

No more welfare, no more thieving, no more lying on friends couches.

Just my two cents so take it for what you will.

>> No.92606

bumpan

>> No.92629

I'd rather eat my cereal dry than with water.

>> No.92638

>>91492
my dad has engrained into me TURN OFF THE LIGHT WHEN YOU LEAVE THE ROOM

I recently got a bunch of $1 cfl bulbs. They're 7watts.

elec here is 11cents/kwh

1000/7 = 142 hours to use a kwh and cost me 11 cents.

I don't (see above about turning off lights), but if I left it on 24/7 it would cost me

.11/142 =.0007746 cent/hr

24 * 30 * .11 /142 = ~56 cents a month

It just no longer true.

>> No.92670

>>91826
But going to jail is the ultimate money saver!
Free food and lodging! Free gym access! Free man sex by the buttload!
Hell if you lived like this thread suggests jail is paradise.

>> No.93824

>>90984
>>90984

I knew a guy in Vegas that did this almost for a living. Not surprisingly his nick name was Credits.

I thought everyone was full of shit but he had this shit down to an art. He took me into a casino and showed me a machine within a couple of minutes.

I am not sure about the legality but I do know he had been banned from more than a few casinos. Casinos keep lists and photos in their databases. Some of the really big ones use facial recognition software.

There is really an art to this but I have seen it done.

>> No.93840
File: 6 KB, 250x250, 1321923985071.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread started out pretty good and then took a sharp diversion. A small troll brigade seemed to have shown up headed up by their leader the Kid troll who is the bane of the DIY board. I really wish they would give his IP the ban hammer.

Also people that don't believe in soap and water and basic hygiene. This was started as a thread about frugality and seems to have turned into a thread about some post apocalyptic barbarian lifestyle.

>> No.93841

actually microwaves are ok in one way- I make all big meals on sunday, like stew, lasagna, and soup shit, rice and beans. pack em up in ziplocks in the freezer in single servings, lunch and dinner all week made ahead I just nuke em

same with breakfast shit, make a zillion brek burritos and also oatmeal.

keep soap in a little bag made outta an old thin tshirt material, makes it last longer

turn the damn light off when you leave the room.

>> No.93843

>>93840
>implying only one person on this entire site says kid

you really are a naive kid, kid.

>> No.93847

>With regards to clothing

Often people view thrift shops as the "go to" place for cheap clothing. If you're patient you can get brand new clothes for just as cheap.

I haven't bought a shirt thats cost over $5.53 in two years. Old Navy has XL shirts (good ones too) that go as low as $2. Just watch the clearance bin, wait for the right price, and you'll have saved about 400% compared to a price marked at MSRP.

Thirft stores are amazing for formal wear such as Blazers, slacks, and ties. Everything else can be found with that orange tag on it.

>> No.93866

Cooking up a big pot of fried rice usually keeps me content for a few days, and provides me with all the nutrients/food groups i could dream of. Cheap as fuck too, you could probably make excellent fried rice out of dumpster scraps.

>> No.93946

>>93840

>I will sell my buttocks for wetwipes

>> No.94207

Stew can be made from just about anything and a big pot will last days if you keep it refrigerated, although I'm not a fan of the perpetual thing.

I also buy potatoes in large sacks and try and hunt out the places like farm stores that sell a full sack for about £5. About once a fortnight fill the oven with them and baker them properly and how like them and put most of them in the fridge and thats lunch sorted fora while. All I need to do is take one out and either blast it in the microwave or 10 mins in the oven and I have a proper baked spud.

Something else to consider is sharing housing. Since I lost my main job I've only been able to catch bits of work here and there. However I was lucky enough to have a house with several spare rooms which I let out to lodgers which covers the mortgage and a few bills allowing me to keep my own place which can often be cheaper than renting for yourself..

Another real money saver when inside all day is to turn the heating down a bit and ware a thermal top and woolly hat.

Also turning the heating off when you go to bed and wearing a a woolly hat whilst in bed with an extra cover will keep you comfortably warm until you get up the next day and works almost down to freezing point. When you get up either turn the heating on again or have a brief breakfast and leave the house saving more heating.

Also being active like cycling places will keep you system more active and you will generally feel the cold less.

>> No.94223

>Talking about smoking in a frugal living thread

OH the irony

>> No.94225

>>94223

> Talking about living in a house, wiping ass with anything other than your hands, eating things other than grass and small rodents in a frugal living thread

>> No.94237

Regarding all the diet arguments:

nutritiondata.com is a very extensive resource for information about the nutrition content of specific foods.

Also, potatoes are quite high in vitamin C.

>> No.96051

>>94237
>>94237

Potato guy here. Good post.

That is what is what I am saying. Do some basic research. Potatoes are just a staple diet. That doesn't mean they are the only thing you can eat on a budget.

This black and white thinking so fond with the troll mindset really won't get you very far in trying to survive in a frugal lifestyle.