[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.98 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
790209 No.790209 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /diy/8s, my landwhale of a friend sat on my piano stool and wiggled and he broke it.

It was funny as fuck but how do I fix it? Shorten the rest of the legs?

>> No.790210
File: 1.45 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.790226

use super glue...and maybe a nail

>> No.790228

I vote you drill some 2 dowels into it, and PVA glue it.

>> No.790236

>>790209

Wood glue, properly applied, holds stronger than regular wood.

If you want, get some 3/8" dowels from the hardware store, and using your most carefullest drilling skills you can drill a small hole up into the leg and up into the bench. Insert dowel and glue.

Though you probably don't need the dowel.

This is a good excuse to get or borrow some good clamps too. Use a 24"-36" clamp to hold the leg up against the seat bottom, and use two little 6"-12" clamps to hold the sides.

>> No.790255

>>790236
Reglueing the leg will still be weaker because the wood grain in that area was all torn up by the break, so the glue will hold but the wood it's attaching to has been weakened. But glued well and back to like 80% strength. That's why dowels have been suggested. You can also glue, then drill and dowel to reinforce. MUCH easier than trying to drill lined up holes in the grain like that, downside is you'll see the end of the dowel.

Option C is just to replace leg. Piano stools have bolts and screws keeping legs on, not glued. You can buy legs at box store, drill and put in hanger bolt and screws after staining the right color.
Also, take this time to tighten all the bolts inside the stool, those are NEVER tight, which is why they wobble, which puts strain at stress points on the legs (because the wobble lets it setup leverage instead of being straight up/down, and lets it get momentum doing so). Same thing with IKEA tables. like 85% of the wobble every time I've seen one is bolts not tight.

>> No.790256

>>790209

It almost looks like is screwed in in two placed. If it is, remove the remainder of the leg glue and clamp it together. Then set it up in a vise and drill it for a dowel and glue the dowel in the leg. This way you can easily dowel the leg.

>> No.790721
File: 3.85 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.791211

Wood glue + Clamp tight +Drill pilot hole +Counter sink hole so that head of screw can be hidden with wood plug+ screw two pieces together before glue dries.

Done.

>> No.791227

>>790209

Men are not landwhales.

>> No.791395

>>790721
oh you