[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 85 KB, 640x671, motor wheel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
77496 No.77496 [Reply] [Original]

How would one go about making one of these?

>> No.77497

bump

>> No.77498

>>77497
Why, thank you.

>> No.77502

normal bike parts

+ some odds and ends

>> No.77517

Your picture is not the best quality, but... The inner wheel is likely coated with gear teeth that apply the force from the engine. Steering is done by tilting the seat and the center of mass left/right if it's just a single tire, in the case of two parallel tires you could apply differential power to each and turn that way.

>> No.77526

Do these have any advantages, apart from slow acceleration?

>> No.77528

>>77526
They look fuck awesome, especially if you're wearing a General Grievous costume in it.

>> No.77530

>>77526

Aside from cool factor? Not really. Having a tire in the middle of your field of vision kinda sucks too.

>> No.77533

Looks fucking awesome.
Not trying to discourage you OP, but I don't think it would be terribly stable at high speeds.

>> No.77534

braking will be fun. Free roller-coaster ride

>> No.77538
File: 50 KB, 428x510, crying man hd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>77534
>mfw I imagined that

>> No.77545

Well shit. Pic taken in 1931? People back in the day were more advanced and awesome then we give them credit for I guess.

>> No.77553

its called a monowheel
most built have been bicycles using solid-rubber tires
kerry mclean has been building motorized ones for quite a few years now, many using tires from french agricultural tractors
http://www.kerrymclean.com/

he crashed on one a couple years back and got fucked up.

up to about the 1920's or so these were thought to be the wheeled transportation of the future. roads were rough (very few cross-country roads were paved) and larger tires rolled smoother than small ones. as experimenters built and crashed them, it became generally agreed that monowheels are known not to be stable at "high" speeds. they tend to 'hubcap' which is exactly what his did,,,, at only 35 mph or so, on a smooth paved street

>> No.77556
File: 227 KB, 1412x1112, They see me rolling, they hatin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Needs the "haters gonna hate" version with the pensive niggers off to the side

>> No.77579

Ideal tire thickness?

>> No.77590
File: 15 KB, 250x166, akku_07_24h(1)_rdax_250x166.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here is some footage from 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dWkDi-_kAM
(ignore the hotwheels logo)

here is some more footage of the event:
http://www.hildesheim.tv/index.php?Itemid=92&catid=73&id=1627%3A09062007-akkuschrauberrennen
-2007-hawk&option=com_content&view=article

A monowheel that a team from an art school in Germany built to compete in a race of vehicles powered by cordless drills.
You can see that it has quite considerable agility, but at the same time, it is hard to maneuver.

Sort of an art/design/engineering challenge

>> No.77594

If you had something along the lines of a clutch attached to a deadmans handle, would that not alieviate most of the risk factor? The danger, as far as I can see, is when the outer wheel turns faster than the gear driving it - rolling down hill, or if you let the throttle off to fast - so the rider would end up orbiting the outer wheel. If you could disconnect the drive fast enough, and there wasn't too much friction, sureley the weight of te rider would keep him where he intended to be?

>> No.77596

The guy who invented this spoke at my grade school. He drove it in the gymnasium. The soles of his shoes were coated with the wax that's used on the inside of milk cartons, since his shoes were his brakes. He was also an Olympic medal winner (bronze and gold, i think), and invented a machine that used warm fluid to turn a wheel or something.

Captcha George fromIns (George from I.N.S.)

>> No.77614

this thing looks so awesome but seriously confuses me

>>wheel in front of face
>>looking around wheel shifts balance
>>suddenly you're turning anytime you want to see where you're going

am I missing something here>

>> No.77619 [DELETED] 

>>77590
look at that water beer in the video. why the fuck are the nazis always bitching about american beer being piss if they're drinking that shit.

>> No.77620

>>77590
why are the germans always bitching about american beer being water when theyre drinking that crap in the video?

i drink beer twice as good as that.

all the time.

>> No.77628

>>77619
newsflash, seeing and tasting are different senses.

>> No.77752

>>77596
>The guy who invented this spoke at my grade school. He drove it in the gymnasium. ...

i hope he didn't say that he invented the monowheel. there's lithographs nearly a hundred years old showing people riding bicycle versions of them. :>|

if you are talking about Kerry McLean, then,,, he still didn't invent it. he has probably built more examples in the last 25 years than anyone else though.

>> No.77905

are these things street legal?

>> No.77914
File: 24 KB, 500x350, monocycle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

you could make some sweet cash if you did build one, there was one in the neiman marcus christmas catalog a year or two back, with a $13,000 pricetag.

it was ugly at hell too, pic related.

learn to build one, then sell it to richfriends who dont know how to steer them.

>> No.77916

>>77905
this depends on your state (or country), but where i am from (illinois), yes they are!

>> No.78007
File: 106 KB, 560x670, venuswars001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gyros and modified "segway" brains. Good luck

>> No.78020
File: 411 KB, 550x640, 77ae5af3078ffc40f613c71b725eabf951e6b5bf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>77496
What about a mono wheel with a bubble capsule around it? That would fix some of the safety issues, and you could just make the interior wheel into a gyroscope for stabilization...
Sounds crazy, I know but just what I came up with

>> No.78039

>>77914
still...looking right at the wheel...and now it's made of ketchup

wtf haah

>> No.78042

Don't you have to put one handle in your ass and one in your mouth?

>> No.78051
File: 119 KB, 430x537, Agusta_monowheel430.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.78116

Oh hey, Crimethinc made something kind of like this, only a little different. Basically, it was a normal bike, but with a stationary tire going round the outside starting from the front tire, over your head, stopping at the back tire. So you could ride it around like a normal (-ish) bike, but when you slammed on the breaks, you did a flip, then kept riding like nothing happened. They did a video on making it in their Guerrilla Film Series, under "shorts" (along with other shit, like making a record player out of a bicycle)

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4489706/CrimethInc-Guerilla.Film.Series.2xDVDR.2006-NTSC

(the movies inside are all rights reserved, but the dvd itself is copyleft so its not illegal to download)

>> No.78129

From almost every engineering perspective, a monowheel is a shitty idea.
Just riding one and balancing is a circus act; accelerating and braking is dangerous.
Making one would be a huge waste of time and money.

Cyr wheels, on the other hand...

>> No.79089

>>78116
It's the "safety bike" one