[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.67 MB, 3216x2144, glass_things2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
76656 No.76656 [Reply] [Original]

Alright, self-taught miniature glass blower here, one of my favorite things to make are these vials, pic related.

I'm also a science guy so I fill them with unusual and interesting things, like ferric oxide so you can make magnetic field forms in them, or glowing powder so you can find them in the dark for hours. I bought the corks and eye hooks bulk from china so they're fairly cheap.

Trying to sell them and make enough cash to keep doing what I love, any tips for what to put in them/other stuff to make them better?

Also, email field if you want one for yourself. Prices are negotiable.

>> No.76659

That's pretty damn cool. How did you start?

>> No.76661

>>76659

Well my dad's wanted to make neon signs since he was a kid, so we did some research, bought about $50 of glass, and I found that neon signs are incredibly difficult, but these aren't so bad after a few month's practice, so now this is all I do. I'm still using a large plumbing torch, someday maybe I'll make bigger stuff if I can get/make a bigger torch....

>> No.76666
File: 2.06 MB, 3216x2144, P1090249.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

moar pics.

>> No.76667

Do you lampwork them?

>> No.76668
File: 2.12 MB, 3216x2144, P1090253.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>76667

Yep. Start from 6 mm tube.

>> No.76670

>>76668
I should give this a try.

>> No.76672

I imagine you use soda lime glass? Or do you use borosilicate?

>> No.76680
File: 2.26 MB, 3216x2144, P1090247.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>76672

Borosilicate, don't have to anneal it for stuff this small, and it's stronger.

>> No.76682

>>76680
I was told you can't blow borosilicate. Then again, I don't see why not.

>> No.76684

>>76656
>>76656

Hey anon, these are really nice epics of the glow powder. You should sell them online for 5-10 bucks. I'd buy a couple. :P

Good job on finding something you enjoy thats awesome.

>> No.76685
File: 4 KB, 300x57, swindled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

These are cool. How much would you normally charge for one?
What an appropriate captcha. Not that your swindling anyone.

>> No.76690

>>76666

Quads. Hell yeah.

>>76682

It is harder to blow, needs more heat, but for stuff this small it's not too difficult.

>>76684
>>76685

Depending on what you want it filled with, what shape, maybe $5-10, free shipping to the united states. I'm giving discounts here lol.

>> No.76695

>>76690
That sounds interesting. But sadly I have no use for small vials at the moment.
Where do you get your glowing chemicals and for what price?

>> No.76699

Place them on ETSY

>> No.76710

So did you teach yourself, or take lessons from someone?

>> No.76711

Give advice to this guy.
>>76239

>> No.76718

i come from 76239. how would i go about changing the shape of bottles like those in my thread. i really like your curved bottles but im afraid if i heat them up they will crack. special teq or something? they are about .5 mm in thickness.

>> No.76730

>>76695

The internet, lol. All kinds of stuff on Ebay.

>>76699

I have.

>>76710

All self taught, started with glass and a torch in my basement.

>>76718

It depends upon what kind of glass. Borosilicate, like I use, doesn't expand much, so is generally safe if you use small pieces, but soda-lime glass is cheaper and will crack if you heat or cool it too quickly. You should be able to re-shape them if you heat them slowly, like start with a tiny flame and work up, and then bury them in sand so they stay warm for longer. Good luck!

>> No.76733

I don't know if this is against the rules, but you could start blowing boutique glass pipes. Make a deal with your local head shop and get some serious money. Hipsters will love your local and hand made products that are well known for their smooth tokes. Why settle with vials when you could be an underground legend?

>> No.76732

Oh sweet I needed some health & mana potions.

You selling, OP?

>> No.76736

>>76733
Because police?

>> No.76738

>>76733
not op but im gonna make pipes outof my bottles now, ty

>> No.76743

>>76730
Well link your bloody Etsy then so I can buy one of these off you

>> No.76746 [DELETED] 

>>76743

Email me, setting up paypal is easy, infinite customizations, bypass etsy fees, ???? profit.

>> No.76747

>>76736

Yes, the possibilities for doing it depend a lot on your local law. Here the actual drugs are strictly forbidden while the parpahernalia is not.

>> No.76748

>>76743

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80898200/cute-miniature-glass-vial-pendants

>> No.76756

>>76747
Also, call them tobacco pipes.

>> No.76764

I'm an Etsy seller too, and sell much shittier products than this. Here's how you can optimize your shop:

1. get rid of the creeper pic, replace with a product pic
2. go to their forums and ask some inane question in "business topics"
3. add more items. It only costs 20 cents and the "bigger" your shop is the higher you are in search results
4. Redo your titles and tags. The first 5 words should contain all of the important keywords, which should then be repeated in the tags. E.G.

"Luminous Glass Pendant" should be "Hand-Blown Glass White Necklace Pendant Luminous." Because no one searches for luminous but people search for white necklaces. You may want to switch to Glow In The Dark even.

Tags are ok but not great. Use all 13! And you need multi-word tags such as glow in the dark necklace, white glass necklace, etc.

>> No.76769

>>76764
That 4th one is really the most important btw. I can't even fucking find you in the search.

I want to see the words
Renaissance
Magic
Vial
Bottle
Fairy Dust
etc somewhere in your listings. Even if you only fit it onto one, make sure it's in the title and tags on that one item, and then people will get there, realize what you're about, and start shopping.

Also raise your fucking prices. Etsy shoppers are rich motherfuckers.

>> No.76794

these are pretty cool man. i may just purchase one for a cosplay.

cosplay is a keyword you should add by the way. Not only are etsy buyers rich as fuck, theyre all weeaboos too. these would look great for mana bottles or something.

>> No.76805

>>76794
OP if you are still here, heed this man.

Mana bottle would be a great title for one and a good keyword for all.

>> No.76806

>>76805
annnd I forgot to clear the name field from my other thread.

>> No.76829

>>76764
I tried selling on etsy for a while, and did the whole posting on forums and using tags thing, but still got nothing.
Do you relist a lot? Join all of the whatever new social networks they have now that I didnt keep up with?

>> No.76964

>>76829
I don't do either. If you can be found in search, then your photos, product, and prices should sell the item for you.

Search is relevancy now, not recency, if you didn't know that.

And what do you mean by "nothing?" I'm not a powerseller by any means, but I have a reasonable amount of sales.

If you never have had a single one, it's probably your lack of feedback keeping people away.

>> No.76986

are you that bro that was teaching himself glassblowing from grasscity.com?

his glass working was pretty good

>> No.76999

Hey OP if your still here are you still selling the here for 5$ each? I would like to place a order or two if you are
reply here or email me please.

>> No.77223

Those are cool little bottles!
Where did you get your supplies from?

>> No.77246

Making smaller lights would still be pretty cool. Or maybe really tiny CRTs, though I don't know if you can get much smaller than these:

http://www.sparkbangbuzz.com/crt/crt6.htm

>> No.77343

Really want to try to make some glassware like this.

Any suggestions on where to start?

>> No.77344

What do you need to start glassblowing?
(I'm interested)

>> No.77465

>>76964
Yeah, nothing means nothing. I have some feedback from buying but not sure if that helps. I might try again some time, I've had a look around etsy again and it seems the search algorithm and stuff are better than they used to be.

>> No.77474

If you can improve the stoppers you can put perfume in it.
or
olivine sand
swirling pearlescent nailpolish or liquid
seeds
small vertebrae
pollen
snow globeness

>> No.77513
File: 175 KB, 294x293, neat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>miniature glass blower

>> No.77617

>>77344

As am I

any info?

>> No.77622

Fill them with electrons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl-QMuUQhVM

>> No.77635

It's OP again,

>>77343
>>77344
>>77617

How I started was just with a small plumbing torch, you can buy them at Home Depot, small tank of propane is like $4 and will last you awhile, but later on I got a adapter so I can use a big 10 gallon tank like for BBQs

>>77622
>>77246

I've seen both of these and love them, I've tried several CRTs but didn't have the right high voltage, I've made a working thermionic diode but it burnt out because my vacuum pump was old and leaky... Funny story, my dad got it as surplus from a cyclotron lab.

>> No.77637

steampunk cosplayers would love your shit

>> No.77651

adding you on etsy so I can throw your stuff in a few treasuries, nice stuff man.

I got involved in forum/teams and all on there for a minute but it doesn't help one bit, if people want your stuff they buy it and if they don't, they don't

>> No.77774
File: 61 KB, 300x300, dsc0007uk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Come on man, you can buy clear glass vials. If you are going to lampwork at least make something interesting.

I've got a GTT Mirage. I don't normally do implosion marbles but here are some in soft glass. If you are interesting in learning it is a very popular hobby.

The chances are you can get lessons/rent torch time in your city.
www.lampworketc.com is a good site.

>> No.77787
File: 11 KB, 188x250, Shawn_perfume_class_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You should probably learn to finish your vessels instead of cutting the tube and flame polishing the end. The process is giving you uneven lips.

Also, your points are too thick at the bottom. There is a glob of glass left at the base of all your vials. It weakens the structure and looks amateurish.

>> No.77788

Those things look like coke vials

>> No.77796

OP, these are fucking sweet. I like the little glass glow-stick like ones, my raver friends would suk dick for that shit.

>> No.77798

I have slightly stretched ears and think a little one with glow stuff inside would make the coolest earrings.

Could you make a glass earring with glowy blue power inside- tapered on one end like in some of your pictures- and either with a stopper or flat on the other end- like half a centimeter or less thick?

>> No.77823

My advice: make your shit as nerdy as possible. Make replicas of potions from video games and whatnot. The mana idea upthread is exactly the sort of thing you should be doing. You should probably try to appeal to the magic crowd as well. "Fairy dust" or some such nonsense.

>> No.77829

>>77798

I can do that easily... How does 4mm outside diameter sound?

Check my Etsy later tonight.

>> No.77850

>I can do that easily... How does 4mm outside diameter sound?

That's what she said.

>> No.77861

On Etsy, people love "tobacco pipes" if they're hand blown.
Branch out a bit, gain some recognition, list more stuff.

>> No.77878

>>77829
Sounds awesome friend, I will.

>> No.77880

>>77635

Cool, I have several of these torches.

Any tips on where to get the glass, what to use for blowing, techniques, etc.?

>> No.77898
File: 2.21 MB, 3216x2144, earrings_1l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>77880

Basically just look around on youtube or such for glass blowing videos, especially videos of people making neon signs. Also, get a length of surgical
tubing, you can use this to blow in the glass without having to hold it awkwardly and cut your lips on the glass.

For the glass, I prefer to use borosilicate because even though it's higher melting, it cracks less often when cooling.. Basically just google "lampwork supply", there's a few good companies, such as GlassCraft Inc.

>>77878

Pic related.

>> No.77909

>>77898
what is that glowy stuff? radioactive? or just glow in the dark?

>> No.77939

>>77909

non-radioactive, glows from being charged with the sun or other light source...

I do have plenty of things that do glow because of radioactivity but they aren't exactly safe to sell on the internet.

>> No.78531

I don't really have anything to contribute, but that's awesome, OP.
I really like tiny glass bottles.
Disneyland has two glass stores and you can watch them make tiny glass figures. It's something I really enjoyed as a kid.

>> No.78653

>>76656
How much would you want for a box of 10 vials?
I am a natural medication and bootlegging (tax free i mean) person. And I could need some of em to put in a "Kampftropfen" or a "Heiltinktur"

>> No.78657

That's awesome.

>> No.78658
File: 25 KB, 331x241, jack.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have nothing to add, but I just wanted to tell OP that this is awesome and good work.

>> No.79772

Bump for Awesome Thread

>> No.80416

OP.
Where did you learn this.
I must know the ways of this craft.

>> No.80441

>>80416

Learned it in my basement with a piece of glass tube and a plumbing torch, and looking up a few things online helped but most of it was just me.

>> No.81010

OP here, this is a fairly old video of me, excuse the messy bench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UAMzehfHwE&feature=related

>> No.81084
File: 66 KB, 461x700, 1271210617824.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>OP
For the love of all that is good if you start making pipes, please post something about it on here.