[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 32 KB, 491x315, intel-thin-mini-ITX-mainboard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
742706 No.742706 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone attempted to use the Thin Mini-ITX standard to build their own custom laptop? It's the height of two USB ports, so I figure it might be possible to build a (slightly bulky) laptop myself as long as I can machine the chassis and get the right parts online.

Anyone got any suggestions?

>> No.742709

Don't forget the cpu cooler not pictured. Also get as much info on power efficiency as you can. I built a nas out of one and was dissapointed

>> No.742710

hdmi only laptop. or is there tm-itx mb with inbuilt vga? Dont see the reason for trying to build a laptop with this tbh, its probably going to be awkwardly portable.. just build a mini desktop box for it instead?

>> No.742713

>>742709
I'll be waiting for Broadwell processors to be released, which (supposedly) going to have a very low power requirement. The board itself uses a 19V ATX adapter internally, or an external laptop charger.

>>742710
It has an LVDS connector built into it, which I have already successfully connected to to a 15.6" laptop panel. I'm not too concerned about portability, I have an ultrabook for that. I just want to try and see where I can take this.

>> No.742740

>>742706
Google "novena laptop" to see how much work is involved in making a laptop.

Even if you're only planning on making something as aesthetically-pleasing as a Novena, you've got charge controllers, batteries, speakers, keyboard controllers, etc. etc. etc. to worry about.

(If you're not going to be bothering with a battery, don't bother making a laptop. Just bung the motherboard in a VESA-mount case and call it a job.)

>> No.742753

>>742740
The only major thing I'm concerned about is the battery. The board uses either a normal laptop charger or an internal "ATX-19V" connector. Both take in 12-19V with 6-9A of current.

I'm trying to find out where to go next for the battery part.

>> No.742805

>>742706
>Has anyone attempted to use the Thin Mini-ITX standard to build their own custom laptop?
Yes, pretty much every edgy kid on the block has had the same idea.

Here's the inherent problem with it: Laptop motherboards are more highly integrated than a desktop motherboard, especially when it comes to power supply. A laptop motherboard has all the power supply circuitry on-board, and accepts a single DC input, from which it synthesizes all the other voltages it needs. A desktop board uses an ATX supply, which supplies multiple voltages. You now have to have something the size of, oh, say, A DESKTOP TOWER CASE to house everything. This is not even to mention PCIE add-in cards, which are full-size for a desktop board, the CPU/SoC heatsink/fan, which is large on a desktop by necessity and small and flat and very integrated into the design on a laptop, etc etc etc. The best you can reasonably accomplish is a more 'portable' design case with a somewhat integrated LCD display -- but you're not going to cobble together an Apple Macbook Air with shit from Fry's.

>Anyone got any suggestions?
Craigslist. Used laptop. For the DIY element, get one that needs some minor repair (keyboard or LCD replacement, etc).

Or, there is some company that makes some half-assed open-source laptop kit out there, but it's still pale in comparison to a purpose-designed-and-built laptop.

>inb4 buyfag
What some of you KIDS don't seem to get (or are wilfully being trolls about) is that some things aren't practical in the least to DIY, and being DIY doesn't mean being stupid just to satisfy your own pride. If purchasing a part is going to save you tons of money and tons of TIME (which NO ONE other than skeezy NEETs and retirees have in any abundance) then that's what you do.

>> No.742833
File: 66 KB, 625x626, thisisbait.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>742805
> implying KIDS
> implying buyfag
> implying trying to make a Macbook Air

Thank you friend, you've convinced me of the errors of my ways. Your extensive knowledge of assembling basic computer parts has convinced me that that this project is retarded.

Unfortunately, I'm a retard. So I'm going to continue trying to learn and see what sort of system I can create as a harmless hobby.

I will certainly follow your advice if I ever feel like replacing the battery or LCD panel in a laptop though.

>> No.742930

A CNC-machined case might actually sell if well-designed and interesting. It could incorporate tool-less access, silent cooling and power supply and result in a project that wasn't just jerking off.

Once the basics were done it's a breeze to alter the basic design in CAD.

Since there is no reason to use a desktop board because it has zero advantages in a notebook and many drawbacks design cannot overcome, a boutique CNC recasing of a successful notebook board could also take off in the niche market.

Thinkpad fanatics pay mad cash for Frankenpad custom notebooks. They could very well pay even more for a nice CNC body for their loved components and OP wouldn't have to depend on the original design. He could CNC recase a magnesium-framed Thinkpad and add or relocate features. More drivebay room could allow SSD RAID.