[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 25 KB, 400x300, geocacheammocan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
74152 No.74152 [Reply] [Original]

Im not sure where this belongs, but I think /diy/ would be interested. Does anyone here geocache?
Post stories or whatever. Id really be interested in seeing some of the creative cache containers you have used.
Here is a standard ammo can container.

For those of you who dont know what geocaching is:
>http://www.geocaching.com/

>> No.74190

whenever i go on vacation to places i print out like the 25 closest geocaches to where ill be.

It is a really cool way to see some stuff only locals know about. I recently did this near Norfolk, VA and found all these cool areas. I definitely recommend it for vacations.

I tried to do it around where I live, but all the geocaches are idiotic film canisters.

>> No.74192

I've always wanted to get into it, but I don't have much spare cash lying around for a GPS unit. are there good cheap ones on the market?

>> No.74230

I tried hiding one, but when I tried putting it on the website, i needed to chase loads of people for 'permission'. However, I like finding them too.

Shit was so cache when I found my first one

>> No.74231

>>74192
It's not as good, but try going on google maps and printing the location and go from there.

>> No.74246

>>74192
you can always find good used ones on craigslist

>> No.74252

>>74192
do this:
>>74231

My and my scout troop managed to find 3 different caches with nothing but a map an a compass. Just use your brain.

>> No.74255

No, but I've known about it for a bit. I was just wandering around a forest preserve one day when I -just barely - spotted a metal box inside a fallen/hollow tree trunk.

>> No.74258

YES.
I've hollowed out a gold ball and put a cache inside.
I've used a rubber garden bird for a micro-cache.

>> No.74262

>>74258
GOLD BALL?

>> No.74266

I recall a story where a gentleman in a big city was looking for a cache and it brought him to an ally.

He was puzzled because there was nothing in the ally, not even a dumpster.
So he looked and looked but nothing.
Right when he was about to leave he pushed his head against the wall and noticed ONE single brick was pushed a bit farther than the others.

He pulled it out of the wall and there was like 300$ in it LOL

>> No.74276

>>74192
do you have a smart phone?

>> No.74296

Live at the edge of the burbs/sticks intersection.

A lot of people will snag Hide-A-Keys and slap 'em in odd metallic places (bridges, road guard rails, etc.). I've also seen Mint Tins electrical tape wrapped with magnets here and there.

Best one I've found was at the edge of a park. The edge of the park turned into forests. Basically it was a downhill slope into the woods that had a lot of concrete/construction scrap dumpage. The geocache was in a surplus ammo crate (see OP photo) tucked behind the concrete scrap in the hill, hidden by a log in a little aclove. Was filled with pen/paper log of finders and basic $1 store tidbits.

Best bet to find 'em. Basic GPS on a GOOD smartphone. Otherwise hardcore compass work. You'll be within 15 or so feet of the thing so go nuts and leave no stone unturned.

I'm planning (come winter) to put one or two out in the lake/swamp islands near my house. The swamp has islands in it only really accessible in the winter. In the summer a nearby trapshooting club fires away into the swamp. The swamp is also home to crane, coyotes, and deer. It will be buried. It will be awesome.

>> No.74307

I found one that was a pinecone with a hole drilled in it hanging in a pine tree.
Took forever to find.

>> No.74353

My favourite one was wedged between a lamppost and a sign. I liked it because as a kid, i walked past it 2 times to/from school a day without ever realising it was there. I checked back on the website and found that it had been there then too. So many people must be completely oblivious to them.

>> No.74364

I only recently got into it while I was in Germany. A close family friend of ours took us on two caches; both were ridiculous amounts of awesome. They were mid-evil themed, and one had a little mini game built into a tree stump where you had to stab a toy dragon in the heart.

Unfortunately, I personally live in a small town so there are only like 3 caches in 20 miles. Feelsbadman

>> No.74379

>>74152
You know, when I was living in Texas, I used to go quite a bit, but then I stopped when I got back to California.

I should start going again.

>> No.74385

Have been into it in the passed but not so much now its more main stream.

Any ausfags should check:

http://geocaching.com.au/

>> No.74394

best one I've found was a bolt in a guardrail, with a hole in it. when the nut was screwed on it covered the hole that contained the log.

>> No.74404

Not into this but have a question.

There have been a couple of times I wandered off the beaten path to take a nap, read, whatever. Then some people come wandering up to me and are like uh were is the cache?

I was totally unaware this "sport" even existed.

Anyone have similar experiences about stumbling upon people that didn't know they had inadvertantly 'found' a cache? And if so what do you think explains this phenomena?

>> No.74409

>>74404
sometimes caches I go to are in public places and people ask me what I'm doing. I just explain geocaching. one time I had a cop get all mad at me for "snooping around" but I explained geocaching and he thought it was cool.

>> No.74417

>>74296
>Put GPS coordinates in a shooting range

Yeah, that sounds like a terrific idea...

>> No.74434

>>74417
yeah, probably not the best idea.

>> No.74438

These people usually interfere with my urbexing.

>> No.74595

Used to do this a bunch with my dad when i was like 14 or so. pretty fucking cool where you'll find the boxes. we used to go to wetlands and parks or just over to the post office and even college campuses.

>> No.74609

>>74385
>geocache hipster detected

>> No.74610

Never actually gone out and looked for one but I've happened upon them randomly like 6 times.
It's kind of like finding buried treasure.

>> No.74611

this is really interesting, ive checked it out and theres loads near me, going to use my phone to find them, so i have to downloads the geocache app and just search for them on the go yeah ?

>> No.74617

Holy shit there's one on my street.
I'm going right now.

>> No.74625

>see this thread
>"geocaching eh? never heard of it, must not be very popular"
>check nearest caches on site for shits n gigs
>10 within a mile of me

>THEADVENTUREBEGINS

>> No.74632

hey
this thing exists only in USA?

>> No.74634

herp derp, go out in to the bush and find some stupid box.

wow, people must be really bored these days.

>> No.74636

>>74632

nope, global, name a city local to you and i'll screencap the map and show whats near you

>> No.74637

just went on
>small town of 1200 people
>40 within a 7 mile radius
feels fuckin awesome!!! this is the coolest thing 4chan has ever showed me, thanks!!!

>> No.74644

>>74636
fuck
the nearest one is in other town.
but i don't give a fuck. i'll go there as soon as i can

what do i do? do i have to pay or register somewhere?

>> No.74646

>>74637

i know ! im not from a big place myself ! and theres stacks around, im excited to get out there and start finding these !

>> No.74663

Been Geo-Caching about 2 years now. I usually go out in the winter months because there is less undergrowth. Of course it's colder, but there aren't any mosquitoes then either. I think I've found about 60 caches or so, but I kind of lost count around the end of the first year.

Geo-caching is one of the best ways to get the "nerds from in front of the computer" and get them some exercise. If you love the outdoors, it's a god past-time.

Caches aren't just hidden in the woods (imo the best ones are,) lots of them are hidden in the middle of the city. The smallest cache I have found so far was a cylinder which measured 10mm wide and 8mm tall; a screw top container that contained a piece of pager for a log. I'm from Louisiana, US. I think there are about 2000 caches in this state.(?)

>> No.74674

I used to get people poking around the bushes of my shop, searching the garbage and whatever. Some of them would eventually come up to me and ask where the cache was. How should I know, I only own the place, right?

Brilliant sport for trolling someone, I suppose.

>> No.74716

>be 13
>10:00 at night on friday
>friend calls
>says to come over were gonna do something really cool
>ok....
>go over
>get in car with him, his mom, and little sister
>drive to park
>i ask what were doing
>GEOCACHING!
>wtf.jpg
>wander into forest for an hour or so
>i find this box thing
>yell i found something
>found the geocache
>fuckya.png
>leave note
>put back in same spot
>went home
pretty odd night......

>> No.74721
File: 74 KB, 400x400, 1322185609208.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>74617
I'm back.

Someone had stolen the geocache and I got chased by coyotes.

All and all a good night.

>> No.74725

>>74307
Where do you live!??!!?
In BC?
If you do I may have also found that one! Crazy good spot awesome hunt!

>> No.74726

>>74663
holy crap, another cajun.

what part?

>> No.74730
File: 50 KB, 600x400, deaddrops1-600x400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The new geocaching?
http://deaddrops.com/

>> No.74735

>>74730

If I saw that nonsense, I'd tear it up with my Leatherman. I'd be madder than hell if that shit ripped my jacket, etc.

>> No.74736

>>74730
this sounds so fun

>> No.74737

>>74730
Brick is trying to give me files.
Seems legit.

>> No.74740

>>74735
Why would you be that close to the wall while walking?

>> No.74743
File: 112 KB, 600x341, 1320206937879.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Go geochaching with group of friends.
>Track down geocache to one small area.
>Look around for ages, limited number of places it could be.
>Look in tiny hole, nothing there but a small-ish rock.
"Fuck, not here."
>Look around for at least 40 minutes.
>Look in hole again.
"Maybe it's under this rock."
>Pick up rock, nothing there.
Wait a minute, this rock feels weird.
>mfw the rock was actually a container designed to look like an ordinary rock and I was the one to find the geocache after ages.

>> No.74742

>>74740

High traffic area, you never know.

>> No.74747

>>74742
I'm pretty sure the people that would put these up would also put them in a place where you can stand next to it with a small laptop.
Then there are the dumbshits and trolls...

>> No.74755

Holy shit, this is awesome. Just went and grabbed my friend to look for a couple near us, found one but not the other. Wish i'd known about this earlier.

Start of the holidays too. The hunt begins.

>> No.74771
File: 66 KB, 701x497, 1259365661061.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If someone was to ruin the fun of a geocache... what would be the best way to disappoint fellow finders?

I was thinking of like writing racist slurs in the log book - filling it with a horrible substance (rotten food, dog shit) and then spray painting it in a neon pink so it stands out.

Yes I'm juvenile and a douche bag.

>> No.74772

I did Geocaching for about 1 month. I started out as a way to do more walking. I would look for geocaches that were placed along nearby trails and then walk to the cache. Those were the only caches I looked for. I would avoid caches that were placed in parking lots and playgrounds(were you would be noticed) by the "muggles"(normal non-geocaching people) and they would wonder what you were doing. I finally went to an "event" to meet some other geocachers. Until this event, I had not met any other geocachers and wanted to see what these people were like. The people at this event were the most weirdest group of nerdy losers I have met in my life. I was there for about 10 minutes and then went home. And so ended my Geocaching.

>> No.74868

>>74771
poop in the geocache

>> No.74897

>>74663
>>74726
Another cajun in here, From Basile. I live in Florida now, though. Feelsbadman.jpg

>> No.74909

The husband & I go geocaching all the time. We've found quite a few good ones. It's actually surprising how many geocaches are out there. We've only been spotted by muggles once, they asked what we were doing, we told them, and they said it sounds pretty interesting.

We use an app on our phone. c:geo if I'm not mistaken.

>> No.75024

>>74772
>>74772

Makes me wonder why they don't get trolled more often.

>> No.75032

>>74771
pipebomb

>> No.75038

>>74771
punji sticks

>> No.75861

Its not very popular around here but i geocache pretty often

>> No.76192

I tried it out earlier this summer, it was ok, you can tell the people who are fucking nuts and the people who just do it for casual fun. Really it would only be fun to me if I had younger kids. There are a few people in my area with 10,000 logged finds and they will hide thousands of film canisters in the most pointless places.
The main geocaching website is stupid too, they want you to get premium membership to use basic features of the site, and the other geocaching sites aren't popular enouph to have very many.

>> No.76204

Wow I put in my postal code and there happens to be one roughly a 10 minute walk from my house. I'll have to check it out soon

>> No.76936

So the caches are actually 'empty'? I searched where I live and they seem to be along the lines of "this building was a blah blah blah"

If there's more to it, say something cool stashed away then it might be more worthwhile