[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 39 KB, 600x270, aerokits-sea-commander-c2001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
734453 No.734453 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /diy/

I'm currently building a R/C boat and I'm close to finishing it. The kit came with a set of running lights but I want to run them in a circuit with some rechargable batteries, a couple of mini solar panels I have lying around and a switch (Obviously) Now electronics is where I fall down, so I'm sure I can't just solder all this shit together and have it work can I? what else do I need to make the solar panels charge the batteries?

Pic related

>> No.734461

All you need are some solar panels with the proper voltage rating and a diode.

You could do it the fancy way and actually have a circuit that stops charging the batteries when they're full, but I don't it's worth the effort.

>> No.734463

>>734453
A charge controller.

>> No.734500

>>734463
Something like?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Charge-Controller-Panel-Battery-Regulator-Safe-10A-12V-24V-UK-STOCK-/360684563165?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item53fa79aadd

>> No.734577

Hi! You do not need a charge controller, as the charging current will be very low when you use solar panels. Unless they are huge. But if you stay below 0.1C charge ratio, charge termination is not critical.
Example: You use eneloop 2000mAh cells (all other cells are shit).
Max charge current without termination would be 200mA. All you need is a diode between the cells and the solar panels, so that no reverse current flows.
3 Eneloop cells in series will be enough.
So you should buy solar cells with at least 6V rating, and max 200mA rating.
Buy LEDs instead of mini glow bulbs. You need resistors to limit the current of each LED to around 15mA. For a white LED, 40 Ohm is pretty spot on. Google LED resistor calculator.

Source: I started RC in '93 and know what I'm doing.

But seriously, unless you are doing it just because, hook the light to the power pack you drive your boat with.