[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 94 KB, 480x480, 4479.prd.s.020.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
716693 No.716693 [Reply] [Original]

could a deep urinal installed in home be more hygenic than toilet bowl?

>> No.716695

>>716693
does not matter, depends on user

>> No.716698

>>716693
Irreverent. The hygienic property comes from it being flushed away. Plus urine isn't really a health issue, feces is.

>> No.716700

>>716698
Feces in a urinal can accumulate, so the answer to OP is probably, no.

>> No.716714

>>716693
>could a deep urinal installed in home be more hygenic than toilet bowl?
they are more hygienic and they do use less water. problem is even in the wealthiest countries in the world, homeowners are reluctant to go the extra expense.

>> No.716716

>>716693
more hygienic?
probably only in the sense that when you urinate you don't have to touch the toilet seat
combine that with a automatic contactless flush and a sink with the same sensor tap and a air dryer and you're done.
Oh and did I mention the walls and the floor should be stainless steel. Make sure you put a drain in the floor so you can jet-wash the whole place.

>> No.716717

>>716700
You`re not supposed to defecate in urinals.

>> No.716719

>>716716
>Oh and did I mention the walls and the floor should be stainless steel.

Or just any non-porous material...

>> No.716722

>>716719
yeah well, something that wouldn't react with the chemicals is preferable, because you'd want to spray everything in thick foam before you wash it up right.
and who likes chemical burn marks all over their bathroom now?

>> No.716732

>>716716
>>716719
>>716722
stainless steel as a flooring were you are not going to have shoes on is a bad idea. some commercial grade vinyl flooring / linoleum that goes up the wall 6" would be worlds better. the drain is a must though.

>> No.716734

>>716732
brushed steel is not that bad if it's slightly heated.

>> No.716789

>>716717

It's a matter of preference, not fact.

>> No.716796

>>716693
I think you'd ruin the resale value of your house if you shitted it up by doing that.

>> No.716837

>>716693
sit the fuck down when you piss
problem solved

>> No.716841

>>716716
air dryer is less hygienic if that's your preference then paper towels>air drier>normal towel
but if you want to waste less then normal towel>air drier>paper towels

>> No.716877

They're higher maintenance and the drains can build up piss crystals if you don't flush with enough water

>> No.716883
File: 327 KB, 238x192, om nom.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>716693
Simply pee in the sink.

>> No.716893
File: 61 KB, 680x512, 1336662154171.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>716789
> this guy,
> in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen.
> thinking it would be a good idea
> to go up to a nice, clean unsuspecting urinal
> to pull his pants down
> turn around
> squat over the urinal
> maybe pulling his buttcheeks apart
> and laying out a big fat fudge dragon for all the world too see

>> No.717025

>>716789
The name "urinal" means "object you urinate in".

>>716693
No. However, having a urinal and/or squat toilet means there's no bowl of water constantly evaporating into the air and there is little to no condensation problems. Both are vectors for creating molds and rotting out some floors, respectively.

>> No.717045

>>717025
Utter crap.

One human outputs more than a litre of water per day, just through existing. If a toilet did that, you'd come in and the bowl would be empty.

The moisture output from twenty square inches of room-temperature water surface is not worth considering, as it is utterly dwarfed by other sources.

>> No.717059

>>717045
Ever stop cleaning your toilet seat for a while? black mildew starts to form on the bottom of it and the lid. Ever live in a humid environment where it is 80-100F and have people using the toilet a few times a day? Tons of condensation can make it look like the toilet has sprung a leak.

Some places actually have a hot water line that feeds the toilet too so they can adjust the water temperature in the tank and bowl, just enough to prevent condensation on the tank and bowl.

I've had to replace 6 rotted floors, in various houses, not due to a leaky seal, but instead from years of toilet bowl condensation. Which is why having vinyl flooring extend right across the hole in the floor then making the hole is way better than being lazy and not taking the toilet up to lay flooring and instead just cutting it to fit around the toilet.

>> No.717089

>>717059
>Ever stop cleaning your toilet seat for a while?
Yup. When I was single I went months at a time without cleaning my toilets. Once was in the master bath and saw regular use. The other was in a hall bathroom that got used maybe once a week.

>black mildew starts to form on the bottom of it and the lid.
Must suck where you live. No black mildew problems for me. Outside of the hard water build up in the bowl, settling dust and the occasional piss splash over they were clean.

>Ever live in a humid environment where it is 80-100F and have people using the toilet a few times a day?
Yup. Summers out here are brutal. It can hit the low one hundred teens here. Humidity sucks too. Still no mildew.

>Tons of condensation can make it look like the toilet has sprung a leak.
Thats one thing I don't have a problem with. No condensation. The house is well insulated, the bathrooms are well vented and we have a good HVAC.

>> No.717096

>>716693
>ould a deep urinal installed in home be more hygenic than toilet bowl?

urine is sterile by nature, hygiene is not an issue.

>> No.717100

>>717096
Urine stays sterile for about a minute and then is rapidly colonized by all the garbage floating around in the air and on whatever surfaces its touching. Its not something you want sitting around as its basically a bacteria wonderfood. That and, you know, its human waste. Its all the garbage and poison your body needs to get ride of, mixed with water and violently ejected via the genitalia.

>> No.717107

>>716883
i do this, its nice

>> No.717110

>>717089
>contrarian posting

Eh, you know not everyone has things exactly like you do. It does not at all refute the original point. Open water and humidity causes condensation and mold. Urinals don't have this problem.

>> No.717112

>>717110
Actually, it does.

Your problem was a chilled surface condensing humidity that was there already, not humidity being created by something that does not (when compared to showers, dishwashing, breathing, etc.) create a measurable amount of humidity.

>> No.717179

>>716693
Not for a female....awkward

>> No.717190

>>717112
>muh moving goalposts

GB2/b/ if you want to nitpick like that.

>However, having a urinal and/or squat toilet means there's no bowl of water constantly evaporating into the air and there is little to no condensation problems. Both are vectors for creating molds and rotting out some floors, respectively.

Still stands. And you can't even say anything about the other sources of water because in most places when the bathroom light is on, the vent fan is on. Not so for all the rest of the 1,000s of hours of condensation and bowl of water evaporating.

We are after all comparing a toilet with a urinal.

>> No.717195

>>717100
>Urine stays sterile for about a minute and then is rapidly colonized

well, if you have such piss-poor aim (pun fully intended) and don't clean up after yourself, I doubt any receptacle will matter. Just piss outside. At least when you aim at the ground, you can't miss.

>> No.717198

>>717190
No it doesn't still stand.

You used an "and", so refuting either point refutes the statement. No movement of goalposts occurred.

And your first point *is* refuted. The evaporation from a toilet *is* insignificant. The evaporation from a toilet *will not* be noticeable in a house with humans living in it, and if a toilet evaporating produced moisture at the same rate as a human breathing, there'd be no water left in the bowl when you got up in the morning.

>> No.717199

>>717190
As to your second point, no-one's made any kind of argument (for or against) beyond the realms of anecdote.

I'd suggest, though, that given the ubiquity of toilets, and the scarcity of rotten floors, that your anecdote only occurs in circumstances that most people would not consider usual.

I posit that in most places, the mere act of cooling a toilet with mains-temperature water is not sufficient to promote condensation.

>> No.717214
File: 98 KB, 800x584, squat-toilet[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This might be even better, no?

I have been thinking of something like an urinal too. My dad has no concept of aiming, he pisses all over the place. I think the toilet has to be one big bowl that he gets suspended over, or maybe just piss in the shower... Even the washing machine has started to rust from all the salty piss.

>> No.717252

>>717198
>>717199
See,

>However, having a urinal and/or squat toilet means there's no bowl of water constantly evaporating into the air and there is little to no condensation problems. Both are vectors for creating molds and rotting out some floors, respectively.

Sorry dude, but you are BTFO by this fact and trying to pedanticize your way out of putting your foot in your mouth.

>>717214
That is a squat toilet. You squat to use it regardless of 1 or 2. You don't stand to use it for any normal reason.

>> No.717253

No. Urine splatters MORE the further it drops, until it reaches it's maximum velocity.

And urine is NEVER sterile. That is a fucking myth.

>> No.717271

I think a urinal hygienic properties are directly relational to the user aim. Take that into consideration when making the decision on installing one in your home.

>> No.717316

>>717252
No, you are a moron who doesn't understand quantities.

An entire toilet bowl holds about half a litre. A human, just existing, produces a more than a litre of humidity every single day.

To contribute to a humidity problem even half as much as one human just existing, all the water in the bowl would have to evaporate.

When was the last time you went to look at a toilet, and all the water in the bowl had evaporated?

Never, that's fucking when. The amount of water that evaporates off a toilet is miniscule, so much so as to be absolutely irrelevant.

Saying a toilet causes a humidity problem is like saying putting an ice cube in the plughole of the sink will solve one. The quantity is simply not there.

>> No.717352

>>716789
Sometimes I forget that this still is 4chin

>> No.717569

>>716693
Not for girls would be awkward.

>> No.718653

>>717316
People that have summer homes or huge houses with unused bathrooms do have toilets/sinks that have the water evaporate. It causes a stench since the trap has no water barrier to the sewage line.
While I agree that this would never make a "humidity problem" it is something that happens fyi.

>> No.718739

>>717107
Good, it is the most reasonable action.

>> No.718751

I almost always feel splashback when pissing into these fucking things.

>> No.718852

back in the 40s and 50s urinals were commonly extended from the floor to about 4 feet in height. They were also usually marble.

That's when America ruled. We fucking pissed on polished marble.

>> No.718865

>>717569
>implying op would ever have to worry about gurls using his bathroom....

for what it's worth you could look into the low water use version of this.. just make sure you don't hook it up to old plumbing... not sure if it's crap or fact, but have heard a few horror stories where the urine sitting in an old pipe rotted it out because it wasn't being flushed clean with water.... again.. this may be bull but something to think about

>> No.718872

>>718865
Our office waterless urinal did just that. Had this terrible smelling piss sludge they had to pump out before the plumbers would work on plumbing.

>> No.718878

>>716796
>if you shitted it up by doing that.
But as has been pointed out in the thread, urinals meant aren't for that.

>> No.718888

>>718852
My elementary school was like that. It made a lot of sense. It didn't matter if you were 5 years old or 50, your height didn't affect which urinals were available to you.

>> No.719506

Every time I piss in a urinal, there is a ton of splashback. It may stem from the fact that my bladder muscles propel the stream out from my body at a substantial fraction of lightspeed.

Anyway, I hate urinals, and only use them if there are absolutely no toilets available. At least the splashing in the toilet ends up running down the sides of the bowl instead of flying out all over my pants legs.

>> No.719507

>>717569
It's actually pretty hot. Unfortunately, this is a work-safe board so I cannot post pics.

>> No.719608

>>719506

You don't fuck a girl full speed the entire time. You don't piss full speed the entire time.

Common fucking sense.

>> No.719610

>>719608
Not that guy, but... hey. Of COURSE the twitch muscles of your legs work EXACTLY THE SAME as the non-voluntary muscles that make up your bladder, which exert a constant, non-controllable pressure.

Oh wait no. You're a fucking retard.

>> No.719749

>>719610
>can't into controlled peeing
>laughinggirls

>> No.719757

>>719610
Are you serious?

>> No.719786

>>719610
You have a problem with your body, it is not normal to be unable to control the flow of your pee.

>> No.720017

You all do know that urine has less bacteria and is generally cleaner than your sweat is? Wouldn't be surprised if peeing in the toilet bowl actually decreases bacterialevels, as urea has sanitizing properties on its own.

>> No.720027

>>719610
different muscles. you have both voluntary and involuntarily controlled muscles. I think he was talking about the involuntary muscles.

I can't do the urinal thing man, I have a large penis but it's just too weird for me.