[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 715 KB, 1600x1200, sensory deprivation tank.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
71351 No.71351 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/
sorry if this is weird...
what would i need to know first to build an isolation bubble?
i was thinking of constructing a sound proof half bubble that would fit around a comfortable chair. what kind of materials would be needed to make the person sitting inside the bubble 100% or as close as possible from outside environment?

I' an insomniac for the last 15 years. that's half my life... haven't had a decent sleep in days and all i can think of is the time i spent in the sensory deprivation tank back at the clinic 5 years ago. and how relaxing it was.

do i have a chance to do such a thing? i don't care how hard or what i need to learn. i need this

>> No.71356
File: 15 KB, 450x303, GoogleEmployer01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the closest visual example i can get is this.
is it possible to construct such a sphere that would be almost 100$ isolated?

>> No.71358

Hrm...

is this a wet bubble or a dry bubble?

For either, you'll want an outer and inner hull, And a layer of noise-reducing insulation between the two. Something like fiberglass and acoustical foam would be ideal, but failing that you can make yourself a plywood "box" inside another box, with the gap in-between filled with Egg-crate foam & acoustical tiles.

fiberglass would already be watertight, so you could just flood one of those, Plywood would need a bed-sealant (like, plastic wrap, rubber sheating, that sort of thing) to make it watertight.

A real isolation bubble would have to be raised up off the floor too, with insulating material beneath you as well, so a step-up might be advisable.

Am I being clear, or do I need to spend 10,000 hours in MS paint to illustrate my suggestions?

>> No.71359

Man, i know how you feel, i was in the same situation not loog ago, but i found a cheap solution!

Do you want a picture of my setup?

>> No.71369

>>71351
dry bubble.
i thought about the rising up from the ground. i thought two layers of wood with 10cm of acoustic sponge (it would be 2 layers i guess).
same material with higher density for the lining of the bubble.
to be honest my problem is i'm not very educated... kind of didn't have much schooling. im good at building things but i lack knowledge about required skills and materials

>>71358
yes i would like to see your setup please.

thank you both

>> No.71381

Bathtub. Get a simple large Fiberglass bathtub, you might find one from a remodeling company, then you just need to build supports for it that insulate noise from the ground and a lid that does the same for ambient noise. Add body temp water and *Poof* a sound deprivation tank.

>> No.71793

maybe something like this
http://www.instructables.com/id/Multi-Use-Media-Pod/

>> No.71810

this is a good start: http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimate-Softness-20-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ3H4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UT
F8&qid=1321938441&sr=1-1

>> No.72380

bump for interest

>> No.72492

>>71369
you seem to have the right idea
for the base you will need rubber since it is the cheapest. ask around garages and tire shops in your area

The bubble isolation itself might be a problem. since you mentioned you have no previous experience it might be a problem picking the right foam.
my best bet would be is design the shell. try to make the space between the inner and outer shell as large as possible. the larger it is the less your costs will be.how will you build it? find a carpentry if you live in large city this might not be so easy. either way once you find a carpentry just show them your sketch and explain what you are doing at least proportions and leave the rest to them. you'd be surprised how much help a professional can be
don't forget an air intake when you draw the shell btw.

that sounds fairly simple you probably think. where's the trick? well no trick the hardest part would be the foam. for that all you need is a yellow page book. look for places that sell equipment for music studios (i live in fairly small town and we have 3 of those) and consult the sales person. usually they have this egg-carton shaped foam in diffident levels of density. the denser it is the better isolation it gives. you shouldn't need more than 3-8 sq-meters for this so you may be able to afford the denser ones.

insomniac brother here. so i have to ask why all the trouble? i know meds are messed up and not worth the sleep they give you. but did you try psychiatric meds? a couple of clonex200 seem to do the work for me when hydro's can't

>> No.72515

>>72492

why don't you just sleep in the trunk of your car, keep the lid open a crack for oxygen?

make sure the latch release works though....

>> No.72516

>>71351
alcohol is my isolation bubble, sage for not being helpful.

>> No.72520

>>72516
Agreed.

OP just get shitfaced. You'll fall asleep for a long while.

>> No.72538
File: 73 KB, 430x504, facesitting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

maybe your mom could help out

>> No.72554

Big problem to think about; heat. Excess insulation means you'll warm up pretty fast, and depending on how long you spend in there, it can get pretty hot.

I used the bathtub method a few years back. It works really well, but overheating was a bit of an issue. Still haven't found a good method for sleeping. Good luck to you.

>> No.72586

Booze & Demerol/tramadol does the trick every time.

>> No.72879

If you want the best soundproofing, you needs wall with fuckloads of mass. There is no substitute for sheer fucking hhhhhngggggg mass when it comes to soundproofing. Good soundrooms might use room-within-room construction and are made of steel, concrete, and/or lead.

A cheaper solution is to wear circumaural headphones (most comfortable) and play white or pink noise on a seamless loop. I'm a very irritable person and masking all the sounds of office and home improved my quality of life significantly.

>> No.72939
File: 6 KB, 250x201, 1614656.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll be in the chamber of understanding

>> No.73968

Use multiple layers of sheetrock. That's about as cheap a sound-deadening as you can get.

I've always wanted to build something like this. Have a monitor that'll work for TV and your PC, a comfy couch big enough for two, and great sound. And a kleenex dispenser...

>> No.75405

if you live in portland, oregon. or close.
go visit float on.
they don't charge too much, and got 4 tanks. bet you could even look how their system works while beeing there and learn.