[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 6 KB, 265x190, c10c88c4-2aaa-4474-a0f4-8cba1f6f0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
673545 No.673545[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Combining audio sources?

I have old retro game consoles. I am planning to get VGA/RGB out of each one. I would use a VGA switch to control the output. All VGA switches with audio that I can find go for about $200+. is there a way so that I could combine the audio sources to just one jack/ 2 rca jacks?

>> No.673550

No retro consoles output VGA*; they all output SCART. SCART is VGA, except with combined sync, i50/i60 scanning, and stereo audio.

To switch multiple consoles to one output, all you need is a $10 SCART switch.

* XBox and Dreamcast do not qualify as "retro".

>> No.673557

>>673550
he may have modded the consoles himself
back on topic you should just use some rca splitters and chain them together if not just use a cheap a/v switch then you can turn to the proper audio when you switch video

>> No.673560

>>673557
What, by fitting them with a new video encoder, and rewriting all the games?

>> No.673565

>>673560
RGB mods are very common and not particularly hard
head over to /vr/ and you'll see

>> No.673568

>>673565
Duh.

VGA implies RGB; RGB does not imply VGA. If the console can't output RGB progressive, then it can't output VGA.

If the console's older than a Dreamcast, it can't output RGB progressive, and therefore it can't output VGA.

What it can output is SCART, because that's what it was designed to do.

>> No.673571

>>673568
rgb to vga converter also common and easy to come by

>> No.673574

>>673571
Though not recommended for quality because it has to telecine every field.

You get windowblind artefacts all over the place, and you get every frame 1/50th of a second late.

And in any case, bundling one into every console would be retarded, when you could instead bundle a single one into your monitor.

>> No.673628

Uh, get a TV with all the inputs you need?

Let's see, my older than dirt 32" Samsung LCD has it all from HDMI to VGA to Component to Composite to S-Video to even that weird HV-C VGA cable.

>> No.673714

>>673550
I would use a sync strike to mod the consoles for VGA.

>> No.673716

>>673550
also cheap SCART switches lose quality greatly, good ones cost at least $100 for an 8-port. VGA is also higher quality IMO

>> No.673717

>>673628
I need them all to go to a single VGA port ( for use with an SLG3000) and then through a VGA to HDMI upscaler.

>> No.673748 [DELETED] 

>>673717
Mate, gonna flame you here. Your idea is shit.
Feel privileged that your are my first flame :D
WTF idea possesses you to have a VGA fed through to a HDMI conversion unit?
You put a shit signal (VGA/RGB) in you will get the same shit out your HDMI unit.
***End of flame***

Better off you are, with transmitting RGB signal to a RGB TV/monitor with a standard VGA cable.
Emulators are real good at mimicking that "scan-line" or large pixel look like you would get from the original Space Invaders Arcade game, no need for hardware add-ons (such as the SLG3000) to do this.
Just find the options for this in your chosen emulator program.

For your quirky DIY mod choice with the VGA cable....
You obviously will need to cut some PCB copper tracks and solder in some jumpers at the connection sockets of your game units to route audio as well as VGA to the CORRECT socket PORTS of your receiver TV unit.
I say this, as every console has their own way of routing signal, so that the stooge consumer will be forced to buy parts exclusive to the manufacturer.
If you don't have an oscilloscope, find some pin-out datasheets from other DIY modders for your units to be hacked.
Noise issue won't be a major problem with audio sharing the same conduit wire path as your video, as the wire cables are twisted pairs and insulated. You just need to decide which three cables will be used for transmitting stereo/mono audio through your VGA cable.
Have fun identifying which wire is Red, Green and Blue and which ones do the Vertical and Horizontal sync.
Then you have the fun of composite signals...but won't go there.
If you only have HDMI on your TV, get yourself a cheap TV that has VGA or RGB-V/H input sockets or at worst, composite.

>> No.673751

it's called a KVM
lets you switch video, audio, keyboard, mouse printer depending on the model you get.
used in networking when you need to have one workstation to control ten servers because having ten seperate monitors would be impractical.

warning: cheap 10$ ones have poorer max resolution and color depth

>> No.673777 [DELETED] 

testin

>> No.673796

>>673716
Absolute rubbish.

The very cheapest SCART switches consist of mechanical switches that physically connect the input to the output.

You can't get more transparent without shifting plugs by hand.

>> No.673798

>>673717
Once again, NO RETRO CONSOLE OUTPUTS VGA.

so what your idea amounts to is:
>converts 480i SCART/arcade to 480p VGA
>generates fake scanlines at 480p to replace scanlines taken out by converting SCART to VGA
>upscales scanlines to 1080p, destroying them
>TV then scales upscaled scanlines to its native resolution.

Your idea is shit. If we can't talk you out of it, at least use a SCART switch and one SCART/VGA instead of putting in multiple SCART/VGAs and then trying to force audio through the PS/2 ports of a KVM.

>> No.673801
File: 26 KB, 320x320, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>673714
What does this magical sync strike have on it?

A fucking SCART socket.

Buy a SCART switch, use the consoles' native SCART leads, and pull the audio off before it hits your VGA postprocessing monstrosity.

Sorry this idea is boring and uses boring off-the-shelf components and industry standard connectors.

>> No.673810 [DELETED] 
File: 49 KB, 500x300, vga2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>673748
>Feel privileged that your are my first flame :D
Fuck off, namefag. Your personal feelings towards OP are irrelevant, and stuff like
>:D
and
>***End of flame***
is shitposting. Lurk moar.

I'd be ashamed to put my name on >>673748 ; why aren't you?

>You obviously will need to cut some PCB copper tracks and solder in some jumpers at the connection sockets of your game units to route audio as well as VGA to the CORRECT socket PORTS of your receiver TV unit.
Rubbish. Just modify a $2 AV cable.

>If you don't have an oscilloscope, find some pin-out datasheets from other DIY modders for your units to be hacked.
>Have fun identifying which wire is Red, Green and Blue and which ones do the Vertical and Horizontal sync.
Or, if you don't feel like re-inventing the wheel, just google "SCART <name of console>"

>Then you have the fun of composite signals...but won't go there.
Composite Video is just composite sync added to an unmodulated version of RF. If you want to, you can just ignore the video data and treat it as a composite sync (this is what RGB SCART does: it's backwards-compatible with devices that don't support RGB, because the sync signal is also a composite video signal).

>Noise issue won't be a major problem with audio sharing the same conduit wire path as your video, as the wire cables are twisted pairs and insulated.
VGA cables use coax, not STP. You're even wrong about tiny details.

>> No.674245 [DELETED] 

>>673810
I have a happy stalker here,
Venting and trolling away...I will ignore your own self inflicted venting...very much a fart in the wind.

Won't even bother flaming your shit excuse of a ramble...wtf...lol...cash up oon some money so you can get some reading glasses and learn how to read in context fool.
...and in case you missed it...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

....respect my opinion and I will respect yours troll.
See you on another board, I am not hard to miss.

>> No.674260 [DELETED] 
File: 23 KB, 385x164, crochunter1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>674245
>here we see a real beauty
>this is a namefagging troll
>carefull folks he's a big one
>best just give im his space and ignore him

different guy... but seriously your doing a great job of contributing nothing to several threads..
perhaps you could go swim with some stingrays?

>> No.674266

>>673798
actually it's more like 240p to 480p and then 480 to 1080
also Dreamcast is retro territory here on 4chan

>> No.674269

>>674266
I believe anything 2 or more generations ago could be considered 'retro'. I just used retro as a general term.

>> No.674276 [DELETED] 

>>674260
Thanks for the verification of my earlier statement, regards me having a happy stalker...and so soon after only a few days of being here at 4chan..
Why don't you crawl under the nearest rock like a good troll now. I am actually contributing quality input, unlike yourself.
Actually come to think of it, you are doing a great job yourself, contributing nothing on topic to numerous posts, choosing to vent your infantile puberty infused frustrations in the only way you can in this topic and others I have contributed with.

Laughable really. But entertaining, so do please keep your irrelevant rambling coming, but do keep it with the 4chan TOS so I don't see you getting kicked.

>> No.674279 [DELETED] 

I don't see why everyone on here is being a dickbutt about this. I just asked a simple question, I don't want your input on my video solution. I have done my research and decided to convert all 15khz RGB/Cs (SCART) to 31khz RGB/HVs (VGA) and use a proper VGA switch. (I have found that quality VGA switches are cheaper than quality SCART switches. I would put it through an SLG-3000 to emulate a CRT (just for the funzies) and then through a nice VGA to HDMI scaler. It would be better quality than if I used my TVs built-in budget scaler.

>> No.674280

I don't see why everyone on here is being a dickbutt about this. I just asked a simple question, I don't want your input on my video solution. I have done my research and decided to convert all 15khz RGB/Cs (SCART) to 31khz RGB/HVs (VGA) and use a proper VGA switch. (I have found that quality VGA switches are cheaper than quality SCART switches) I would put it through an SLG-3000 to emulate a CRT (just for the funzies) and then through a nice VGA to HDMI scaler. It would be better quality than if I used my TVs built-in budget scaler.

>> No.674291 [DELETED] 
File: 55 KB, 370x300, 1365333922801 mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>674276

>> No.674292 [DELETED] 

>>673810
>modify a $2 av cable. No need to perform an rgb mod.

You are not worth talking to. You don't know anything.

>> No.674329

>>674280
>I don't see why everyone on here is being a dickbutt about this.
Gee, neither do I.
>I don't want your input ... I have done my research
Oh, that's why. Go read "How to ask questions the smart way" for some insight as to why your behaviour might antagonise someone who isn't your fucking employee.