[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 42 KB, 500x192, 51KZsJNibqL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
626729 No.626729 [Reply] [Original]

Hi DIY, I just purchased a machete in hopes to use it to clear a bunch of blueberry bushes on my property.

I noticed that the machete's edge just has a primary grind and isn't too sharp. I'm curious what the best method/tool(s) is to sharpen a machete.

tl;dr how2sharpen machete

>> No.626743

you don't.
They are meant to use the weight of the blade to do the cutting. You thin the blade it can chip it.

>> No.626746

>>626743
Never had a machete or used one, but what this anon says makes sense to me. It's like how you don't need to waste your time putting a hairsplitting edge on an axe, because it's the mass of the tool doing the bulk of the work, you don't need your machete shaving sharp.

Otherwise I'm guessing just whatever method is convenient for you, be it a sharpening stone or a bench grinder.

>> No.626751
File: 161 KB, 630x826, Axe-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>626746

Not putting an edge on an axe?

>> No.626752

>>626751
I'm not saying that you can't, but you wouldn't need to if you're chopping down trees, would you? And I mean, there's a video on Youtube of some guy shaving with a sharpened spoon sooo . . .

>> No.626753

Since the 1950s however, manufacturing shortcuts have resulted in a quality decline of machetes. Today, most modern factory-made machetes are of very simple construction, consisting of a blade and full-length tang punched from a single piece of flat steel plate of uniform thickness (and thus lack a primary grind), and a simple grip of two plates of wood or plastic bolted or riveted together around the tang. Finally, both sides are ground down to a rough edge so that the purchaser can sharpen the blade to their specific geometry using a file.

>> No.626754

>>626753
>Today, most modern factory-made machetes are of very simple construction, consisting of a blade and full-length tang punched from a single piece of flat steel plate of uniform thickness (and thus lack a primary grind), and a simple grip of two plates of wood or plastic bolted or riveted together around the tang.
This is, in fact, very easy to produce, but how does this indicate a decline in quality? It is the cheapest way to mass produce, but that doesn't mean that it's the sturdiest way to make a blade in the first place.
Also, I'm curious, where are you quoting this from?

>> No.626756

Just use a grinding wheel or grinder. Done. But becareful becouse if you need to be told how to do it you will lose skin.

>> No.626757

I used them alot for sod cutting. You can use a curb if you don't have a grinder.

>> No.626776

As one anon has already said, machetes arent meant to be super sharp. The bulk of the tool is what's doinf the work, not the sharpness. As long as there's an edge on it that isnt chipped to oblivion you'll be fine.

>> No.626778

survivorman shows how to do

http://youtu.be/616UDUVP2B4?t=17m48s

I don't know if it really makes any sense but he shows anyway

>> No.626779

>>626778
At 17mins 49secs, which doesn't seem to work in straight away in that embed.
Get your act together Moot.

>> No.626782

>>626729
put 1 stone then another one and with pee make slip of blade between two so it make sound of sparks but then no spark and do like 40-59 times and u will have the devils razor.

>> No.626808

>>626729
>I'm curious what the best method/tool(s) is to sharpen a machete.
There is no best, file, whetstone, diamond hone, oilstone, ceramic rod, they'll all work, same as with any blade. Just depends on how refined you want the edge to be.

Probably the simplest way is with one of those pocket diamond rods since you can have this with you and touch up the edge as needed in the field.

>> No.626810

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pTjQcATqf0

OP was expecting it to work like this.

>> No.626843

>>626729
you can just stroke it with a file a few times lengthwise if you want. its not likely to benefit much from it however. it is not hard enough to hold a fine edge, or hold a sharp edge for very long.

a machete is a cheap piece of mild steel with a handle, for hacking a path through soft plants. you can use them anywhere of course--but they are mainly used in tropical areas, where the ground cover is almost entirely soft plants.

it's not made of hardened steel to the point that it is worth grinding any accurate edge on it,,,, and you're not supposed to be able to chop down trees with it.

the two most important features is a hooked butt to help prevent the handle from sliding out of your tired hands, and a wrist lanyard,,,,,,, so you don't fling the thing into tall weeds when your tired hand does lose its grip.

>> No.626846

>>626843
Never though of tat a lanyard attached to swing hand and a machete, but makes sense. Would the identical concept work wit a sickle?

>> No.627032

Good thing you have so many ideas about your machete. I, however, am thinking you might be able to sell those plants. You might even be able to charge people to come and dig them out.

>> No.627034

>>627032
Worth a try if you are not in a rush.
*Blueberry Bushes - You Dig" with a picture of the bushes in question posted on your local craigslist Free section perhaps?

>> No.627060

>>627032
I gather wild blackberries every year on my neighbor's property. He thinks I'm crazy but he doesn't complain when I give him some to top his vanilla ice cream.

>> No.627066

>>626752
you actually do want a razor sharp axe
unless you hit rocks or nails you wont chip it or dull it much
a razor sharp axe produces fist size chips with easy swings

>> No.627082

>>626752
Actually, a sharp edge on an ax makes is easier to cleave through wood. it also makes it less likely to glace off what you are hitting and do serious personal harm.

>> No.627121

Latino man here some tips:
1) the best machetes handles are the soft rubber like, fuck wood and FUCK plastic, you will end up with a hand full of blisters
2) as somebody already mentioned put a lanard at the end
3) avoid hitting things like rock or you'll end up with a useless machete real fast.
4) I normally squat and then cut horizontally in a "circular motion" but do it the most comfortable way.
5) you can sharpen them (I use a sharpening stone) don't know what kind of machete most of you are using but mine holds a pretty sharp edge

>> No.627135

A machete doesn't need to be very sharp. Have you ever whipped a stick at tall grass?

>> No.627142

>>627135
I wouldn't call my cock a stick...
A log in the woods maybe?

>> No.627237

>>626729
I recently got a Friskars machete and noticed some of the edge wasn't very sharp too. I already had a regular pocket knife sharpening stone and used it to sharpen it up. Just do it in sections. With the machete being so big its easier to move the stone against the blade rather than trying to pull the machete across the stone.

>> No.628283

an axe file http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nicholson-8-in-Blade-Handy-File-06601/100208251 will sharpen all your shed tools.

>> No.628297

>>627121
>you will end up with a hand full of blisters

You can wear gloves. You won't get blisters if your hands are used to manual labor.

>> No.628547

>>626843
>a machete is a cheap piece of mild steel with a handle
Way to go with the generalisation there dude.

You're right about the handle part. But they are not all made of mild steel FFS.

>for hacking a path through soft plants.
Your image of them being used to slash big green leaves is erroneous, they're as much used for tough, fibrous branches, stalks and vines. Which is *why* they're not typically made of mild steel.

>and you're not supposed to be able to chop down trees with it.
Well maybe you're not but you can actually chop down smaller trees with a decent machete. There are plenty of vids and pics showing this if you're gonna come back at me and claim otherwise.

>> No.628576

>>628547
you mean saplings amirite? a machete blade is too thin for this job. oh sure, you COULD use your dads favorite knife to cut open that can of beans or lever something open but you might snap the tip. you COULD use a teaspoon to serve icecream but damnit you're going to catch hell when your mom finds that bent spoon because you were too lazy to use an icecream scooper.

>> No.628595
File: 4 KB, 163x275, ES2282-Surveyors-Brush-Axe-Ditch-Bank-Blade-813008-md.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>626843
>>628547
>>628576
I've never seen a machete (that you can buy in a store) made with any kind of mild steel. However, cheaply made machetes are cheap and shit and are not the tool for the job. With any machete you shouldn't be cutting things over 1 inch thick. For that you need a chopper. Those are a bit shorter with a much thicker blade. Properly made machetes are normally 0.125" (1/8") thick and a chopper will be up to 0.3125" (5/16") thick but only 11" to 12" long blade (16"+ overall).

Check out the line of Busse knives like the Busse Combat, "Busse Battle Mistress", or just about any run-of-the-mill kukri will work.

However! The proper tool the OP needs is called a, "Brush Hook/Axe". See pic.

http://www.engineersupply.com/surveyors-brush-axe-ditch-bank-blade-813008.aspx?gdftrk=gdfV22645_a_7c983_a_7c4620_a_7cES2282&gclid=CMShl9zJ9L0CFYuXOgodK3UALQ

On another note, I've seen a machete snap into two pieces and whiz past my face while a friend was trying to chop down a 2" tree.

>> No.628596

>>628595
continued...

In the spirit of /diy/ I recommend making your own brush hook or machete using an old lawnmower blade. It'll have the thickness you need for this kind of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0PfYDS4I9M