[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 48 KB, 960x520, 1493400-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
626486 No.626486 [Reply] [Original]

/diy/nobots,
is there a way to get past the plastic with connectors such as pic related?
i keep geting unstable readings with my multimeter, and i've pinned the problem down to the lead wires. i'd like to solder new wire to it, but is there any way to get past this plastic without fucking the connectors up?
what's that even called in english? molded connectors or what? (no it's not that, google images shows some special type of "molded connector")

>> No.626489

You can try whittling the insulation away to re-attach the wire, but the end result is likely to suck.
Better to replace the plugs or even buy new test leads. That plug type is called a safety banana plug, most likely 4mm size. Normal (not safety) plugs should work too, assuming your meter isn't too fancy.

>> No.626490

Oh, and you can try spreading the contact springs before doing anything else.

>> No.626491

>>626486
>what's that even called in english ?
Banana plug ?

>> No.626501

A safety banana plug. It is posible to buy them separately without wires, or invest in some quality probes, that shit on the picture is for "use once a year".

>> No.626502

thanks guys, i'm still undecided if i'd rather get some plugs and assemble the probes myself or rather buy a pair.

>> No.626524

Could be the soldering inside your meter has come loose/dry. Had that before.
Open up the meter and re-solder them or check you still get unstable with new cables.

>> No.626603

>>626486
Don't waste your time. Just buy a decent set of test probes, they're going to be better than anything you can make.

>> No.626739

>>626486
OP i know this is diy but for the sake of good connections and safety, if i was you id just buy a few pairs of leads from ebay or somesuch. fluke leads have a nice feel to them.

>> No.626816

>>626739
99% of "Fluke" test leads on eBay are fakes. For safety, buy from an authorized distributor.

>> No.626838

>>626816
what makes flue test leads more magic than any other piece of wire? do multimeter leads need to be a particular inductance or something?

>> No.626845

>>626838
You can expect the cheapest Chinese wires to have very small cross section, shitty strain reliefs and generally flimsier construction.
It's up to you if that's acceptable or not.

>> No.626850

>>626845
so electrical wire soldered to banana plugs would be fine? assuming OP doesnt need 1000V protection.

>> No.626860
File: 24 KB, 504x504, banana plug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> so electrical wire soldered to banana plugs would be fine?

whenever you're choosing a banana plug, it's good to consider this type of solder-less plug (pic related). the little screws on the side act as Darwin filters, eliminating those hobbyists who are a danger to the herd. if they're careless enough to handle plugs that have high voltage on them, the little exposed screws on the side will quickly make them ex-hobbyists, and that will make Darwin smile.

>> No.626894

>>626838
>>626845
Cheap test leads also use PVC insulation which has a much lower melting point than the silicone used in high-quality leads. Silicone is also more flexible and doesn't kink.

>> No.626949

>>626860
Who would make such a thing?

>> No.626952

>>626949

lel, only place ive seen that shit on is on electric lego parts that came from the time of jesus.

>> No.626965

> Who would make such a thing?

search "banana plug" on google images - you'll get plenty of sources.

>> No.627021

>unstable readings

You what ? Even moving them will cause them to jitter around which is why analog is still popular.I suggest some steadier hands or some alligator clip leads