[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 112 KB, 470x600, diy mascot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
626381 No.626381 [Reply] [Original]

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the ultimate /diy/ guy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2584180/Perfect-SQUEEZED-middle-Web-designer-builds-mortgage-free-home-30-000-8ft-20ft-itll-tight-fit.html

>> No.626387

Hey OP, I wanna do the same thing on some land with Cob. Plan on spending 30,000 too

I cant fucking wait. Only 2 more years in this shitty job and im ready to retire.

>> No.626389

>>626387

Best of luck, bro. Take notes of his interior for efficiency design ideas.

>> No.626390

>>626389

I can understand the allure of being mobile, but DAYUM I want land badly

>> No.626531

all the comments are dumb as fuck
"hes avoiding property tax so poor kids starve"
well shit, poor kids starve regardless of if someone pays property tax.

the world is full of dumb people.

>> No.626534

>>626381
From a purely project minded view its awesome and really cool, but its so impractical on a day to day basis. He's essentially living a luxury homeless lifestyle, with no fixed address. Its an awesome exercise, but utterly pointless.

>> No.626537

stop spamming this. he's been mentioned in at least three other threads in the past week. at length. with multiple picture reposts.

the house is crap. no consideration was given regarding wealther proofing or stability. it is stupidly expensive compared to various builds using foldout tents and a small box trailer equipped with appliances.

>> No.626539
File: 74 KB, 600x450, spreader_bar_tent.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.626540

>>626537
Isn't a HUGE need for weatherproofing in san francisco. No point in over engineering.

>> No.626568

what i dont understand is how the fuck this guy spend 30000 on this. i understand land but cmon man, you could have built something bigger or better than that for 30,000.

>> No.626592

>>626568
you misunderstand. he is living at home at his parents house plot at a trailer park. the 30 000$ was just materials. and he claims it was recycled materials too. and this is california where a trailer that size would go for less than 1000$. so somehow he bought 30 000$ worth of free pallet wood which doesnt make any sense.

>> No.626594

>>626592
It does seem expensive when prefabs start at 17-30K.

>> No.626597

>>626594
he wanted a small house to avoid planning requirements.
>lol stupid rules what are they for?
he encased an oven in wood with no spacing.

>> No.626599

>>626381
Sure, that's real spiffy -- if you don't own much of anything, and don't plan on ever owning much of anything, either, and don't have many/any friends because you don't have any room inside for more than 2 people, maybe 3 if they're OK being really close. Also you'd have to pay rent on whatever land you parked it on, or property tax if you buy land, and then there's the matter of what land costs. Also he's got no regular plumbing; you really want to clean out that toilet on a daily basis, especially if you get sick and have diarrhea?

Seriously, you guys need to get over this sort of thing. "No such thing as a free lunch".

>> No.626608

>>626599
You can have regular plumbing, just gotta put a flush toilet in and pay a plumber a few hundo to do a sewer tie in for you. Also living in a house like this is good for non-minimalist types who would otherwise be drowning in debt. Not saying this doesn't have its drawbacks, but it's not so bad as you say

>> No.626611

>>626608
To add, I agree with other anons: how the fuck did this guy manage to spend 30k without land. He must have fucked up like 3 times or hired a bunch of help.

>> No.626649

The only people who get excited over "tiny houses", shipping container homes, and shacks made out of pallets are people who don't do this kind of work for a living. 30K for that, please. Materials for a 2000 sq ft 3 bdrm ranch house come in under 50K easy.

>> No.626654

>>626649
not only that but the property will hold value better than a shed on a trailer.
It's cool that he did it, but there's nothing remotely impressive about it.
This isn't a new concept and its generally a bad idea and waste of money.

>> No.626656

>>626381
>mortage free
that's illegal

>> No.626658

>>626654
>>626649
Not only will this person be able to save up for a house/land and pay it off all in one go but they'll also be able to simplify their life without wasting time and energy on dumb shit that most people do!

having a house this small will force them to go out and do things instead of sitting indoors wasting their life away on the internet.

The whole point of these is an alternative to getting stuck in a mortgage for 30-60 years, the advantage being that they don't have to spent say 20 years paying for a house then suddenly lose their jobs etc and lose their house (which they've spent the past 20 years paying into only to lose it) when they could just save up and buy a house outright in about 10 years.

Imagine being 18 with no mortgage and saving upwards of 2k a month to put towards a house/land.

This kind of living isnt for everyone.

it's fucking smart though and everyone in here putting it down is thinking in terms of a normal materialistic lifestyle.

A mortgage nowadays is the same as renting, if you cant pay it you're fucked and you've lost the place your living and any money you've sunk into it.

At least theres more security in having a small wooden house that you can move around etc. nobody can just take that away from you because you missed a few payments..oh wait thats right, there wont be any payments on these kinds of properties hahaha.

>> No.626678
File: 90 KB, 277x249, silver surfer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>you'll never build a house with your waifu

>> No.626698

>>626381
i don't see any smoke detectors. it looks like a tomb. an attractive, inspired tomb. add a laddered exit from bedroom and i could deal with it.

>> No.626699

>>626534
uh pointless? i guess your goal in life is to acquire as much shit as possible and breed?

>> No.626700

>>626568
30k including all appliances and tools. lrn2read

>> No.626711
File: 106 KB, 566x475, 8cZkZ[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>626698
You're blind and a pussy. Who worries about fire in a building that you're just seconds from being outside of?
>omg you put an oven next to wood
>my knowledge of fire safety comes entirely from minecraft

>> No.626761

>>626658
You act like living in a trailer is some new brilliant concept.
The reality is that it's a bad idea and a waste of money for the simple fact that real estate typically retains or increases in value.
If his ultimate goal in doing this is "to save $2k a month to buy a house" like you say, his best option would be to buy a used travel trailer for $5k and bank the remaining $25k.
He'd be 3 years ahead of the game.
Instead he has $30k into something he won't be able to resale, he'll have to pay lot fee upwards of $400-$500 per month all for the joy of living in a tiny cramped uncomfortable accommodations in the shitty part of town.
I bought a 2 apartment home and the apartment pays the mortgage.
After 1 year of ownership my house has already increased in value to the tune of $50k
When I sell I'll make a killing. All on the banks dime mind you.

>> No.626766

>>626711
>>my knowledge of fire safety comes entirely from minecraft
Ovens can't set things on fire in Minecraft, silly.
Is lyk u dot ivn minceraft

>> No.626817

>>626761
except if you lose your job and you cant rent out the appartment you'll lose your house, which you've been paying into.
mortgaging is an idiots game.

Why does he have to pay 500 a month to live in his lil house? All he has to do is find someone willing to let him put it on their land for free and i can guarantee there's loads of people out there who wouldn't mind this being on their land.

There are more ways to get a house/land than just having a mortgage.

Sorry but people are finally wising up to the whole mortgage slave dealio.

>> No.626819

>>626711
asphyxiation is more of a problem. that's what smoke detectors are for.

also, the whole thing is wood, and as to exits it's pretty simple logic, if one side of a house is on fire, you exit the other side. with one ground floor exit, there's no other option but to jump.

so, in conclusion, a fire exit ladder from the sleeping area and installing smoke detectors would help protect both their lives and their home. this is /diy/ where people are generally helpful, not /b/ you dumb nigger.

>> No.626833

>>626700
how could a cheap drill and saw cost even 10k? all he's done is make a small wooden box. the appliances arn't that special either. a cheap gas stove can be had for less than 500$. same for a gas powered camping fridge.

>> No.626847

>>626381
Young love is a beautiful thing.

>> No.626861

It's an example, one need not clone it.

Home purchase is situational. Some areas appreciate like a mofo and will continue, others less so, incomes vary so the "best move" will be different depending on the context.

Being a gearhead, I'd build a shop and live in that then build something else. That's common in rural areas. I don't "need" any more amenities than I did when deployed with the Chair Force. If you make thing which help you make things and repair things and refurbish things you have more things and your costs drop like a fucking rock.

I'm at the tail end of doing that for many years. It was more economic to buy old homes and renovate then add shop space so I did that and have been mortgage-free for years.
The other bonus is having plenty of gear in reach, more toys than I can use, and very low overhead.

If I had to build a small shedhome to beat zoning codes I'd do that, but I like ISO containers and would plop one on the site and fit it out instead. I use my High Cubes for shop space (love the gasketed goodness to keep fucking dirt-daubers out of the orifices in my equipment) but it's not difficult at all to turn 'em into shelter.

I'd just copy industrial outfits who do the same shit every day. You don't have to invent shit on an ISO unless you insist on it. Then neat barn paint/roof/siding or shotcrete or camo and done.

>> No.626864

Dude built an expensive and shitty trailer, and you're in line to suck is dick because?

>> No.626866

>>626711
>Who cares about all of their shit being burned up?
pretty much everyone.

>> No.626910

>>626817
>mortgaging is an idiots game.
Again, I just made $50k playing the mortgage game, and I live mortgage free. Paying rent is a fools game.
>All he has to do is find someone willing to let him put it on their land for free
LOOOOL
>there's loads of people out there who wouldn't mind this
LOOOOL
Your heart is in the right place kiddo but you really have no clue what you're talking about.

tl:dr LIVING IN A TRAILER IS NOT COOL, SMART OR A NEW IDEA.

>> No.626914

30,000 seems pretty steep for a 'diyer'.

>> No.627253
File: 1.30 MB, 2592x1944, moretrailershinanigans.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey all, trailerfag reporting in.

FIgured it'd be alright to share my experience of living in a small, 14'x8' trailer that I built by hand and how living in it for just under one year now is going.

Alright, didn't expect every RV/trailer park to charge so much for setting down...it's hilarious because it's a fixed rate no matter the size of your trailer. I'm paying the exact same for my 14'er, as the dude next to me in his 40' gooseneck. They also put me on their smallest plot.

No matter how much soundproofing I put in my walls (3" of rockwool), it doesn't change the fact that I'm 3-8' from my neighbors, and they're using 2" of polyurethane board. I can literally hear my neighbors breathing, coughing, talking, and fucking if I step out of my trailer. Most of the time I just hear their music through my trailer walls, and they have terrible tastes.
Wind and soil are bigger problems too: no matter how stable the ground, a good gust will make you think 'this is the one to end this trailer' and the soil will always sink to fuck up your level...my tub has water in the front of it, and I just re-leveled my trailer last week.

I'm making money hand over fist with my job, and so are my co-workers. I have only a couple thousand saved, whereas they have nothing in the bank. They do all have new trucks, razrs, big houses though. Lent money to my boss, too.

I don't understand how people could pay so much for that size of home though. I payed just over 5k for my trailer materials and appliances...and I bought a 1k stove, and a 1k fridge. Then again though, I have no plumbing to speak of outside of one pipe going out from my tub. Planned on putting in a sink, and regret not doing it earlier, but now I'm just turning this into a small shop, and getting an old trailer to restore and live in.

If I could do everything over again, I'd probably have done similar. I had a blast working on my first diy project, and it's nice to know that I'm not locked into a shitty job.

>> No.627255

Heh, his trailer's bigger than my house...

Anyway, I was thinking about doing something similar over the next year, as I'm planning on moving in about two and a half years and so wouldn't want to build a permanent cabin. Originally, I was going to renovate a used '85 Coachmen RV, but figured that I might as well go big or go home, and build a true house upon wheels. Problem is, a used RV or travel trailer costs about five grand, whereas just building the base of my trailer (w/ new axles and wheels) will cost about the same. So, the project's on the back burner until I win a small lottery, as I'm estimating 20,000 dollar total cost, plus another 5-6 in miscellanious expenditures. I'd get a loan, but I don't think it's worth getting a home loan to /diy/ a travel trailer, even if it would be just exctly what i need in a home.

>> No.627384

>>627253
hey dude, more pictures of your current trailer, i want to see how it ended looking, those were pretty good threads.

>> No.627459

>>626381
>$30,000
>8ft by 20ft

This really seems like one of those subversive anti-propaganda, propaganda articles. Where they show you how you can do it without the "man" or some similar anti-conformism shit, but they put in the hook about it being fucking absurdly expensive. So, they are able to crush a lot of dreams for people thinking they might be able to do something like this simply because of the price. In the end, those people get normal home and expensive mortgages.

Why do I think this? Because I've built homes. One for myself, one for my mother, one each for 2 friends. None of them ever even approached $30,000USD. These are full sized houses too. Shit 8' x 20' is a pull-along trailer size house (oh look, it IS a pull-along). $5,000 is more the cost range if you really DIY and don't include all the worthless shit like PC, TV, etc. as part of the price. That's buying everything, not sourcing it for salvage or free. Oh, for $30k you could buy a brand new RV with more luxuries than that DIY one.

Oh yeah:

>most people choose to build on a flatbed trailer to make the house mobile and to avoid maximum square footage requirements that most municipalities have in place for permanent structures.

That shit, isn't for your comfort or safety or anything like that. It was devised as a way to help make home building and owning too expensive to do without a bank's mortgage. They lobbied for it after all.

tl;dr

This is easily done for a rather low cost. Use your head. Source materials locally, salvage as much as you can. Use craigslist.org and freecycle.org to find free and low cost building materials. Fuck this other bullshit.

>> No.627462

>>626540
It is mobile. It can be moved to the east coast if he wanted to. Or, his plans may change and he might sell it to someone that needs to move it some place where it needs proper weatherproofing.

Also, weatherproofing helps maintain temps. Either hot or cold. Thus, you save money in the long run.

>> No.627465

>light above bed isn't recessed
>bump head on it while fucking all the time

>sink isn't above toilet where it could save space

>no fold down/fold up porch on the side

>most of the expense seems to be in stainless steel bobbles "high-end stainless appliances including a marine-style propane range, propane on-demand hot water heater and compact combo washer and dryer unit", toilet paper holder, and those buckets everywhere.
>why stainless steel buckets? why.jpg

There's where all the money went. The trailer and the stainless steel bullshit.

>> No.627848

In the southern US, the poor people live in mobile homes called "single wide" and "double wide" with full kitchens and bathrooms for less than $30k.

>> No.627872

>>626381

>Paying THIRTY THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS
>FOR A FUCKING TRAILER

>Not buying a fucking home for 5 thousand less then that.

Holy fucking shit this honkey is retarded.

>> No.627879

>>626540
>Isn't a HUGE need for weatherproofing in san francisco.

That's wrong. You need weather proofing for any wooden structure that's exposed to the elements unless you don't plan on using it for the long term. That guy obviously made the house just for fun and has no intention of living in it on a permanent basis.

>Alek estimates that he spent $30,000 on the house including all of the tools, building materials, finishing materials, nice stainless appliances and furnishings.

I think it's way more than that given the exotic furniture and construction materials.

It's not possible for him to build the house without help from other people. Labor probably costs even more than the the materials. He's a hack and a poser, not a real /diy/ guy. Building houses is not something you could just learn from the internet and master in a short period of time.

>> No.627984

>>627879
>Building houses is not something you could just learn from the internet and master in a short period of time.

My old man drew up blueprints and built his own extension to his home with nothing more than a few weeks of drinking, and drawing. Had it pretty much spot on, outside of needing some additional support and a few hurricane clips.

I helped him put it all together, along with one buddy of his who was an ex-carpenter. We knocked it out in three weekends for the frame and roof, but he's been stuck on the interior shit for a long while now that I've moved states on him. Willpower on those sorts of projects is a bitch to manage.

He can't internet, so I imagine someone with a bit of confidence in their hands, and a good head could easily teach themselves the basics of putting together a house. Just gotta make sure you get the blueprints reviewed by a professional.

>> No.627995

>>626531
fucking statists, I tell ya.

>> No.628002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsDOD0dTQI

>> No.628020

>>627984
buddy was a carpenter.
so... someone highly skilled in carpentry was there to provide constant advice?

looks like you proved your point.

>> No.628142

>>628020
>>627984
Anyone with half a brain can build a good house. It's those really fucking stupid people that don't know shit and can't learn shit that are the problem. And, those people are normally the ones actually building houses because they can't get jobs doing anything with more complexity than being told 100% of the time what to do. For them it was either become a "carpenter" on a crew for a contractor or become a McDonald's cashier. Both are on the same level.

It isn't rocket science.

>> No.628172

Relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Segal

>> No.628228

funny how that's on the daily mail considering british planning laws. and no way would living in what is essentially a trailer be practical over here.

>> No.628264

>>628142
There are stupid people in every job performed, I will give you that. Your post suggests an unfair generalization of construction workers however. If that's how you meant it, so be it. If not then I'm mistaken.

>> No.628312

>>626381
Dude could have bought a mobile home and got out way cheaper with 10x the space. If he was really creative he could have even built a small studio twice the size for that.

>> No.628441

>>626381
That's one of the better tiny houses... It has a decent amount of windows, and the interior isn't all pine paneling.

>> No.628448

>>628441
not sure how more windows means a better place. I thought less was more: more insulation, less radiant heat, fewer seams, and better sound dampening.

Also: something about a window that doesn't open really annoys me. feels like it defeats the purpose of putting a hole in your home.

>> No.628468

>>628264
I think he means to say that construction work is process work. you learn a few skills along the way that take practice, but not much. a construction worker does what they're told because their skills lie in the manual labour not with civil engineering or architecture. but the actual design and everything associated with the construction of a house outside of their speciality is alien and foreign to them.

it is just a job though. so whatever someone finds most tolerable to do 7 hours a day shouldn't really characterize them. people sometimes go for jobs below their abilities but overwhelmingly people look for the best paid work they can do.

I have seen horrors when builders improvise from the design plans. or labourers think they know what they're doing. like chipboard cabinets backed onto wall with no fireproofing and tiny conduits built into the cabinet where the wires have melted because they wern't in wall rated. or roof support collapses fix'd with mdf supports.

>> No.628545

For expensive areas - the bay area, new york, london, etc - this makes perfect sense.

It is unfortunate that we can't all live in shit holes in bumfuck no-where (because we have discernible talents and high value jobs) but we can't all pay $30k for a house. Some of us pay $2-5k/m for studio flat rent and can't afford/simply don't want to pay a $1m mortgage for a 1 bedroom flat. If you work in a city like San Fran - with excellent and quick routes into the city - why not do something like this?

I'm moving over to they Bay soon and this presents a real option. Who cares about the money saved so that you can buy a 'real house later down the road' - compounding interest on funds available to invest is the real value of this option.

>> No.628616

>>628264
>Your post suggests an unfair generalization of construction workers however.

It isn't. It is exactly how 90% of ALL construction workers are. They do what they are told to do, without needing to know why they are doing it. I should know. I've been on the front lines of that bullshit in 3 states. Granted, those were in the south of the USA. Fuck that place.

>>628468
Exactly.

I had a contractor tell me that 14awg is now in-wall code in my area for normal house wiring, for an entire room. That fine if you are only using lights and branch of 12awg for it, but a PC, microwave, toaster oven, etc on the same circuit is asking for trouble if the breaker doesn't flip. Yet, these guys install that all the time and the residents have trouble with them all the time; even when the plans state in-wall 12awg. Because everyone overloads outlets with powerstrips these days.

I use 10AWG with 12AWG branches and 8AWG for things like dryers/washers. I'd much rather "waste" money on thicker wire so the breaker will be what flips and the wires don't catch fire in the walls. For future LED lighting I'll be using really thin wire (18-24awg) since it'll only be a 5v/12v 30amp/10amp, 360watt max PSU with about 7watt max per light array (Cree).

>> No.628645

>>628468
I think you're confusing the term construction worker with laborer.
Construction worker can refer to Tradesmen (Carpenters, Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC, etc.) These guys are specialists and know more about their respective trade than anyone else.
As for the problems you've encountered, like mdf roof supports (...bullshit), a building inspector would catch that in two seconds and the laborer who did it would likely be fired.

>>628616
You can't just pick and choose what type of wiring you want, you have to calculate load and follow strict guidelines set forth by Code.
If you don't know what you're doing, ALWAYS have it inspected by someone who does.

>> No.628665

>>628312
If you read the artice you'd know he
a) wanted to build his own
and
b) he built it on a trailer bed to circumvent legal restrictions, not to slum it up in tornado alleys alongside plywood and aluminium prefabs.

>> No.628667

>>628616
>14awg is for 15amps
>12awg is for 20amps
>breaker will be what flips
the breaker rating is based on the wire used, not what you're using the plug for. so the wire will never "catch fire".

>PC, microwave, toaster oven
way over the limit for any 110v socket, so the socket and/or power strip will melt if you rigged the breaker.

>> No.628670

>>628545
No one save for the rich as fuck and poor and stuck will live in those places if they can help it.
Those cities are litterally giant piles of shit with small diamonds randomly strewn about.

>> No.628673

>>628667
>110V

How can anyone live with less than 240v?

>> No.628694

>>627255

So build something intermediate for a reasonable cost and live in dat fucker until you've made more money.

You will want to change things as you get more experience anyway. Brick-and-mortar homes aren't permanent commitments so don't treat a trailer like one. Think "mobility".

BTW the major reason to use new axles is if you expect to tow it often. You can always build on a used trailer and inspect the brakes and bearings. Bearings are cheap enough to replace while you've exposed them .

>How can anyone live with less than 240v?

Beats me. If I have 240 on the pole I'll have a fucking spider box at least coming off that bitch. If I were mobile I'd be thinking "jobsite style". Shit, TDY locations in KSA were wired that way and lasted many years.

You can do one of these for yourself inexpensively enough. I'd straight up copy industrial designs.

http://www.seabox.com/catalog/flyers/sb461.9.chu-2m.pdf

>> No.628717

>>628667
>>628645
Another example of Mr. X syndrome. I think you need to learn how electric works and how codes work. You can use any wire at or above code without any inspection problems.

A wire too thin will light up like a light bulb if the breaker is too beefy. That's why you use a breaker that matches both your uses and the wires. A hairdryer will fry 30awg, but not flip a standard breaker. The breaker is intended to be the weak link in the chain here.

>PC, microwave, toaster oven
>way over the limit for any 110v socket

Seriously? I've never in my life seen any of those surpass 1760watts. Most sockets are rated 110v-120v 15amp-20amp, coupled with a 15amp-20amp breaker and 14awg-12awg wire. Most PCs are 600-1000 watts, microwaves/toaster ovens 750-1500 watts, and hair dryers 1800 watts.

Then you have these faggots come along and say, "oh but 14awg is code". Hurrr, enjoy your shitty electrical system that can't handle anything more than your dragon dildo pump and a single blacklight. You want to do something with your electric, install better everything. Fuck.

>> No.628731

>>626833

he got nice appliances, very nice ones

but most of the cost is because he did it in lolifornia

>> No.628733

>>626864

waiting in lines is for communists

>> No.628734
File: 463 KB, 750x421, Steel shipping containers 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>626649
I want to build a shipping container home because I can get containers for about a grand or two each, I do my own work, and I'm not overly materialistic. Being sort of an oldfag, I want to simplify. My current mortgage is nothing because I bought smart, not to keep up with the Jones Family which means I get to put effort into stuff like that if I so choose.

Considering I am also in the hurricane/termite combo line of fire, a shipping container home is a down right no-brainer.

This guy? I am completely uncertain where he put 30k. He must have hired laborers to do the work.

>> No.628754
File: 336 KB, 750x421, meka-world-alp-320-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>628734
>pic

Oh god, that company. They could at least not photoshop EVERYTHING.

>> No.628759

>>628734

You are a good candidate for ISO container fun. I like my shop ISOs and want more. Hit the Sea Box and other military/industrial ISO sites for ideas. I'd live in an ISO or multi-ISO structure. I worked in them while in the USAF which is why I bought mine.

Visit steel building kit sites such as Steelmaster as they make kits which are easy to erect (I've a 20x20 I set up, unbolted (anti-seize on the fasteners paid off) and moved when I PCSed to my final duty station) and integrate with containers.
Get High Cubes, NOT standards. You'll thank me later! Study available lengths, they now have 53-footers.
Don't use chain store roof coating. It's a water trap. Use industrial roof coating such as Sherwin-Williams urethane.

Do your sheet metal with MIG if possible. If you already weld and have decent gear you'll know what processes you can best use. I used a suitcase feeder with .045" 71T-11 to weld my roof joint strip, but I bounced the puddle off the heavy stock and flowed it to the 1/8" x 2" wide mild steel joint strip a bud sheared for me out of a 4x8. Made that long run go much faster. (The wire was free.) You could do it with stick and patience.

Two kinds of people to ignore. Fantasists who know nothing about them and did no homework but are blinded by artfag naive lust, and those who have not worked with containers but dislike them out of some sort of anti-container rage. Containers are an industrial product so think "industrial" and you'll be fine.

3M 5200 sealant is the Spooge of the Gods. Do not even bother with common silicone. You'll thank me for that, too.

If another hurricane comes through my area, I'll be in my shop which will last long after everything else in my area is blasted flat or blown to chaff.

>> No.628761

>628754

Agreed. Ignore all container fantasy vendors who can't show you their products in the steel. They suck dead leper taint.

Visit welding forums and hunt posts by those who mod containers for a living. Modular industrial container housing survives abuse nicely. Artfag shit is arty, that is all. Add artfag touches AFTER your core is done.

>> No.628777

>>628717
>You can use any wire at or above code without any inspection problems
Where did anyone say you couldn't?