[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 599 KB, 1920x1080, 1372505064067.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
625957 No.625957 [Reply] [Original]

Ok guys,

About to buy a small house with my lady friend. The roof, foundation, septic and well are in good shape. Ive been working construction for about 12 years. going to gut it and re insulate and sheetrock, possibly some framing but want to know of any awesome ideas you guys have (random outlet locations, wallsafe plans) ect. Anything that would make the house more fun.

>> No.625990

Styrofoam insulation, hardybacker backing all sheetrock, it helps insulation and mold also helps locate undesirables at the party, look for the guy complaining of a broken fist.

>> No.626002

If you're going to rip out the drywall anyways, I suggest going completely mental with outlets. They are cheap and easy to put in at this stage.
Pretend there is no such thing as extension cords.
Also, one in a closet or cabinet is sometimes useful.

>> No.626004

>>625957
if you have an attic.. and a garage. Make a ramp that pulls down from the roof inside the garage, buy some shifter gokarts. put them in there for storage [remember to drain the fluids or have proper ventilation.] also what state? assuming you're American.

>> No.626086

>>625957
>with my lady friend
Are you married?

If not, draft a contract spelling out the exact ownership percentages, obligations for paying mortgage, mandatory sale or buyout if either party leaves the house, how the house will be valued at time of sale/buyout, what to do if the house equity is zero or negative at time of sale . . . holy fuck.

It's a really shitty idea to lock yourself into property with a second person if you are not joyfully long-term married. I would call it a certain path to suicidal misery.

Some dork I know on a regular web forum bought a place with his new wife (second marriage). She decided she had to let her spoiled brat 25yo single-mom daughter move in because "she's down on her luck and needs a place to stay". The ONLY thing the fucking moron didn't do in his prenup was to spell out ownership equity percentages of the house if the house was underwater on the mortgage.

Needless to say, the eventually-ex-wife insisted that she get 100% of the amount that was paid off, and that he get stuck with 100% of the unpaid obligation. Since the house was underwater by about $250,000 it wasn't an option. She also refused to move out while the house was being sold, and did her best to make it a disaster to sell.

tl;dr: you are a fucking moron for buying a house with another person at all, but even more so for doing it with a girlfriend.

>> No.626101

yes we're married and very happily at that. no garage but there is a 2nd story attic bedroom that is rather small but it will be easy to raise the ceilings a bit and make it a nice loft bedroom.

>> No.626108

>>626101
Ok, in that case I'll shut up. :-) Congrats.

>> No.626120

>>625957

Tech the living shit out of it.

You will have every wall off. Take the time and ask an electrical engineer and a software engineer what they would do to make your home futuristic/ remove the drudgeries of normal living.

I'm not in the game yet but i'm talking as much automation as you can afford.

Your automatic garage opener is childs play.
Your locks are all on/off at the touch of a button.
You have an integrated media server across rooms/video display / speaker systems throughout the house

Install a device so that power is removed from everything but the essentials (fridge/freezer) when you are not there.

Install solar panels and all that bullshit.

You should be living in the future.

>> No.626124

>>625957
>with my lady friend
Partnership wit a gf in purchasing of home is a disaster waiting to occur. Need to be married wit a buyers agreement contract between both parties, just to be on the safe side.

>> No.626125

>>626124

Learn to read there's literally 9 posts tops in this thread.

>>626101
>yes we're married and very happily at that. no garage but there is a 2nd story attic bedroom that is rather small but it will be easy to raise the ceilings a bit and make it a nice loft bedroom.

Bump for OP

>> No.626128

>>626125
Not when I posted this.

>> No.626150

>>625957
Lots of outlets. Don't forget runs of CAT6 and CATV from each room to a central patch panel location. You might want to think about putting in hard wired alarm wiring as well. And some CCTV wiring as well. If you don't know what wire to pull, put in conduit now, figure out wire later.

Wire room lights and outlets to separate circuits. That way, when you short an appliance cord and trip breaker, the lights stay on.

>> No.626180

A hidden door cus why not.
and if you have seperate dining and living areas, may i suggest a moving wall. My great uncle built one into his house, lifted up into the ceiling, it will open the space for entertaining, and be a neat trick to show off.

>> No.626268

Modify as many large furniture as possible to double as a fold out bed.

>> No.626275

OP here, thanks for the posts. gonna be on a lower budget but have a good friend that has his journeymans to help me rewire and get some ideas. Love to play and listen to music as well. Any pretty cheap form of soundproofing aside egg-crates? Also, any pics or plans for storage between studs. Going to be putting down hardwood but Love stained wood with a passion and trying to figure out some furniture/whathaveyou ideas. pics appreciated.

>> No.626288

build as many weapon caches into the walls as possible.
nothing fancy, a Pardner Pump shotgun (usually less than 200) here, a machete or two behind a wall, a revolving bookcase is a must. if it's a two story, install a dumbwaiter, and possible a fireman's pole.

>> No.626394

Redid my house when we bought it. Put conduits in every wall with enough room for cat5/6, hdmi, whatever the fuck. Built a small well-ventilated cabinet into a closet for a media server.
I also put a heat lamp in the bathroom, it's the fucking Tits.
Ridiculous nerd Majel Roddenberry voice-commands are a ways down the list still. This is the best time. If you can think of some silly bullshit you'd like to have, it'll be easier now than later.