[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 94 KB, 750x750, blinking-in-the-sun-cat-in-cottage-window-ralph-hedley-notebook-1734-p[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
625742 No.625742 [Reply] [Original]

Okay. This is my first post here, long time lurker.

I live in an apartment where you can have pets but you have to pay extra (ridiculous 1000 dollars a year) for a pet. I have an outdoor cat I've been taking care of for about a month now. She's an outdoor cat, I put her outside at night. I bring her inside in the day time. But. This is my problem.

I want to keep her off the window sill. I don't want to risk having my landlord know I have (cats own you, actually) a pet here since you can see her from my back window during the day time. Is there a solution? I would put privacy film (like for bathroom windows) over the window but it would be obvious I'm hiding something, if not noticeable that there is a golden cat right up against the window.

Has anyone had this problem? Or just ideas?

>not my picture, but related.

>> No.625756
File: 62 KB, 437x437, MMM MMM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>625742
Whenever it goes on the window-sill, pick it up and put it somewhere comfy instead.
Maybe give it some food the first few times.

>> No.625768

Cats hate certain smells. For some, it's oranges/lemons, for others (like mine) it's mint.

Simply buy something that smells good to you and bad to them in concentrated form (like those oil difusers or something) and place it on the window.

>> No.625771

tell them its not a pet, its your partner. you're otherkin and in love with the cat.

>> No.625772

>>625768

This might work. I have a potted lemon tree! I'll let you know for sure

>> No.625773

>>625742
>>I live in an apartment where you can have pets but you have to pay extra
Then you have to pay the extra amount. In a normal lease the pet warrants a separate damage deposit rather than a change in the rent.

>> No.625793

>>625773
>In a normal lease the pet warrants a separate damage deposit
Yeah that makes sense, my gf and I are currently working with that very thing looking for a new place to live and we're more than willing to pay it as a reassurance for the landlord.

But OP's 1000 per year thing, that's pants-on-head stupid.

>> No.625826

>>625742
My wife had the same situation when back when we were dating. Her land lord was a strict old grouchy fuck, so we bought a stuffed cat that looked exactly like the real one.
One day when he saw the cat in the back window he came and started beating on the door yelling about the cat. She showed him the stuffed one and said she keeps it in the window for decoration. It worked for a while (around a year) until he came in the apartment one day when she was at school and found me and the cat inside. (She wasn't aloud to have men in her apartment, along with cats)

>> No.625845

I had that problem (well, I was straight up not allowed a cat). I just used two curtain rods, one at the bottom and one 2/3 of the way up the window, to cover the bottom part of the window securely enough to discourage the cat from going in there. I also put some vases in there so that it'd be a less comfortable place to sit and so that the cat wouldn't stand out so much.
>cat inside during the day and out at night
that's backwards.

>> No.625928

>>625826
>>cat inside during the day and out at night
>that's backwards.
Why-cats are nocturnal creatures. Sleep during the day and prowl during the night.

>> No.625948

Certain lease agreements have a stipulation for small caged animals that get around the pet deposit. Usually it's for hamsters and gerbils and shit, but sometimes you can sneak things by. For instance we have two rabbits that live in a 3 foot by 6 foot cage and pay no deposit. However if your pet fee is a thousand per year, your lease is probably insanely strict and wouldn't even let that slip by. If it has a clause like that though, you could buy a large dog crate and keep the cat in there when needed.

>> No.625958

>>625826
>It worked for a while (around a year) until he came in the apartment one day when she was at school and found me and the cat inside.
Isn't THAT a violation of a rental agreement? Landlords aren't allowed into rented properties without prior notice given to the tenant, at least not normally.

>> No.625963

>>625958

In the UK it's at least 24hrs notice. I'm sleepy as all fuck, it might need to be 48, but I think it's 24. I'm too tired to look it up, but you might even be able to refuse entry without written notification. And you have to be actually notified, the whole "I knocked but you didn't answer" shit doesn't wash over here.

>> No.625967

Pets stink and fuck up apartments. Of course tenants don't care but that's why the deposit.

They aren't being asshole not to want your pet affecting THEIR investment.

>> No.625980

Just take a picture of the inside of the room and tape it into the window. Shouldn't be too noticeable from the ground.

>> No.625982

>>625967
Yeah. But $1000 a year is extreme for just one cat. My old apartment had a $300 flat rate deposit for my cat. Mostly to cover any damages caused by the cat and flea bombing the apartment after we left. The only real damage she did was to the blinds, and my Conure helped with that(I had his cage a little to close to the blinds and he chewed through one of them)

>> No.626020
File: 90 KB, 800x600, warning-electric-fence-14985956.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Stick some wires across the window sill and pic related

>inb4 connecting it to the power point or some shit.

Buy or build a pulse energiser.

>> No.626024

>>625826
>She wasn't aloud to have men in her apartment
jesus christ, I hope it was cheap.

>> No.626028

>>625826
>She wasn't aloud to have men in her apartment
I'd love to see that rental agreement. Must have been comedy gold.

>> No.626031

>>625742
not ridicules considering that cats like to piss all over the place and the landlord will have to have someone come in and clean the place after your cheap ass moves out.

>> No.626129

>>626031
If the feline is not neutered yes, but a cat litter box would suffice if the owner is responsible enough to regularly replace cat litter wen needed and removes waste daily.

>> No.626140

Pay the god damned 1000$. Lots of people are incredibly allergic to cats and if someone allergic moved into the house after you thinking that it had been pet free they could get a severe reaction and would be stuck until their lease ran out. Its almost impossible to completely get rid of traces of animals from a house so bringing a pet into a house ruins its potential to be rented out to allergic people in the future which could cause the owner a loss greater than 1000$ a year.
Pet owners like you are selfish pricks.

>> No.626143

>>626140
>Lots of people are incredibly allergic to cats
Not really. To be allergic to what's left after emptying the place and vacuuming you'd have to be one in a million allergic and unable to go in pubic or full of shit.

>> No.626160
File: 26 KB, 470x470, 01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Put up a frosted window film to ruin the view. Or if you're feeling nice, it might be enough to make it just tall enough for the cat to see over, or you could cut out little peep-holes in eye-height.

Pic related, just look at that cat. He's all like "WTF have you done with my view?"

>> No.626172

>>625742
Don't be a faggot. If you want a cat, move to an apartment that allows cats or pay the extra.

>> No.626187

>>626143
you act your like your shitty Hoover is gonna make any impact to pet dander that's ingrained in your carpet

>> No.626223

>>626187

Wouldn't it make sense to pay a deposit which will be used for a deep clean when you move? Same as with sanitizing an apartment after an indoor smoker.

>> No.626279
File: 125 KB, 1049x699, Billy-Corgan1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>625948
>keeping a cat in a cage
I've forwarded this post to PETA.

>> No.626296

>>626187
>you act your like your shitty Hoover is gonna make any impact to pet dander that's ingrained in your carpet
carpet simply collects all kinds of dirt that you can't clean out, there is no way around it
carpet is the wrong choice of flooring if you want a clean house

>> No.626356

>>626187
if it can't be vacuumed out it's not coming out to kill people.

>> No.626366

>>626187
You would not be able to walk outside if you were that allergic to people.

>> No.626391

>>626279
So that they can slaughter the cat instead?

>> No.626402

>>626391
#rekt

>> No.626492

>>626140
1000$ just to have a cat. Isn't 1000$ enough to cover rent by itself?

>> No.627655

Anyone who has had to do post-pet cleanup for landlords or for themselves as a landlord knows why those pet deposits can be so high.

All pet owners know it they love their little foo-foo. They don't get, and cannot get (probably due to toxoplasmosis) how much extra nasty their adored and worshipped substitute for human interaction changes a property.

Want pets? BUY a fucking house and hoard all you like or pay the thousand bucks.

>> No.627671

>>625742
Foil paper. Wherever you don't want your cat to be, put foil paper on it. For some reason every cat I've known hates walking on aluminum foil, I guess the feeling is equivalent to us chewing on it or something.

>> No.627673

test

>> No.627690

>>626492

>1000 dollars a year

>> No.627694

>>625963

It's 2 weeks.

>> No.627709

>>627694

No it isn't. Landlords have a reasonable right to entry to perform repairs, but the general agreement is 24hrs written notice.

They don't actually have any legal rights to demand entry though without the tenant's permission, unless it goes through a court. It very rarely gets to this stage though, as the 24hrs written notice is usually enough to keep people who aren't assholes happy.