[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.07 MB, 1360x768, matrix.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
623804 No.623804[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

The teensy 3

Can someoe point me in the right direction for controlling an led matrix?

Its 11 rows of 12 leds.

Ive tried using fast led, ispled, and the one made for videos.

I just cant seem to find any information on self teaching, they all just seem to assume i know what im doing.

Never worked with aurdino before.

I really just wana send a bitmap image to it, sample codes all work.
thanks

>> No.623829

You're going to need to tell us more about your hardware. Is this just a plain LED matrix or is it a pre-made module with some control chips already on it? Can you control them and just need help with a bitmap program, or are you not even there yet?

>> No.623837

>right direction
Start by reading the datasheet of the LED matrix you have.
If you don't understand electronics you'll need your hand held and you could see if there are product forums specifically related to this device.

>> No.623856

>Can someoe point me in the right direction for controlling an led matrix?
Depends on software library and schematics, usually you either update 1 LED at a time or 1 row at a time.
Repeat with another LED/row.
Do it quickly and you can display your image at a reasonable refresh rate.

Post your schematics, and people can give you better advice.

>> No.623859

>>623804
you didn't even say if it's rgb or not, you didn't say what kind of microcontroller you're using, your first line isn't even a whole sentence, are you even using a teensy 3? You know that Paul made a fucking Matrix library and included it in his software package to spoonfeed you right?

are you a fucking dickhead or what? What's your deal

>> No.624008

>>623829
The matrix started life as addressable rgb leds, I cut it every 12 and rewired them in a zig zag pattern to give me the grid. It only requires a data line, no clock.

So it is still 132 leds in a line, just rewired into a grid.

Im using the teensy 3.0

>>623837
I think im ok with the led operation, Each rgb led has a chip that takes and holds a colour value i can send from the teensy, if it has one already it will pass it to the next led. So i have a line of leds that act like a matrix when pulsed fast enough

>>623856
see above

>>623859
its rgb nigga and im using the teensy 3.

Can you point me to the libary? Writing my own code i have gotten as far as lighting one led. Then the code throws up errors even when I copy and paste the tutorial code. Hell even when i go through the entire website for each libary i find nothing.

That is why I want to know if they assume i have a good grasp of the basic code and where i can learn this shit for audino.

Im doing my first year at college but the teachers have no interest in helping me with outside projects, they just say try speaking to him, then I get nowhere.

Thanks for the responses so far niggas.

>> No.624016

>>624008
>Each rgb led has a chip that takes and holds a colour value i can send from the teensy, if it has one already it will pass it to the next led
Not familiar with the arduino but I dabble with the MSP430
-Create an array
-fill array
-serial dump array to the led's

>> No.624019

>>624016
Thanks for the response man, This is my problem, I have no idea of how this works, But my researching I can not seem to find a book or introduction to audrino.

I am planning on learning as much of this shit, plus some welding, building stuff so if i make it as an engineer i will not be a usless fresh outta uni type.

>> No.624020

>>624008
>Then the code throws up errors
What errors?
Try to fix the problem.
Learning C basics might be where you want to start.

>> No.624023

I'm a poorfag and recommend used books

Here's this, dunno if it's any good
>http://www.thriftbooks.com/viewdetails.aspx?isbn=1430247762

I got started with this. pretty good and wrote by the creator of the C language. It's old but still valid. It's only $6
>http://www.thriftbooks.com/viewdetails.aspx?isbn=0131101633

>> No.624025

>>623804
>Ive tried using fast led, ispled, and the one made for videos.
..wait, you're telling me that not only does Arduino not teach you anything to speak of about electronics, but writing "code" for it (in double-quotes because I'm dubious of anything used on an Arduino in the first place) is just more Lego bricks you kids are snapping together?

So in other words, Arduino really teaches you NOTHING?

>mfw we've lost an entire generation

*facepalm*

>> No.624030
File: 201 KB, 1632x1224, ir seq1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>624025
That's an unfair assessment.
Gotta start somewhere.
I asked for an arduino code snippet to flash an LED here a long time ago and got comments similar to yours.
Some anon posted it and I became interested.
Got an MSP430 and started learning C.

Your discouragement is unwelcome here.

>> No.624057

>>624030
>>624025
>>624023
Thanks guys, I will look into this more, Ill have a look for some ebooks,

Ill look into the code, got a few extra leds, Ill hook 2 up and see if i can just get the thing to flash and move an led, think im jumping in to deep.

The thing throws up about 10 errors
My sample code just defied LED_NUM so i thought i could lift the code for the matrix and switch but I have no idea wtf is going on.

Ill go learn so of dat der c lauguage and come back if i have success. Expect another thread in 3-6 months.

Thanks for the help so far guys

>> No.624077

>>624030
Oh, I'm not discouraging you specifically, I'm discouraging Arduino in general. At *least* learn enough to write your own code to run your display rather than using the Lego approach, k?

>> No.624081

>>624077
>Stop liking things I don't like!
>>>/b/

>> No.624391

>>624025
I think you should see a doctor about that stick up your ass. People have always done copy-paste programming, it has nothing to do with Arduino.

>> No.624394

you are spoonfeeding someone who literally cannot do this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=teensy+matrix

>> No.624416

>>624394
Not one of those is doing what im asking, The first link is using an expensive shift register or some other form of fancy equipment. I just wana pulse 132 leds to look like an image

>> No.624426

Get the datasheet for your RGB LED strip (ie: WS2812, etc).
Read and follow the datasheet instruction.
eg: for WS2812, each LED are 24bit colour (each RGB contain 8bit). But the complex part is it doesn't have clock signal like shift register or SPI. Instead it have fixed width timing. Again, refer your datasheet.
Of course, you can also use Arduino library for that part number. Probably someone, somewhere already wrote library for that.

tl;dr: Figure out the part number of your LED strip and start researching.

>> No.624530
File: 40 KB, 181x204, horneses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>624416
hahahahaha
(faggot)

>> No.624537

>>624426
Thanks chief i shall, Ive been searching and making small progress

>>624530
No u