[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.67 MB, 1000x4000, naturewhy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
620467 No.620467[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey, I don't know if this is a good area to post, but I'm doing it myself, so its close enough..

I'm building a small boat.. [probably 14 feet still not sure.]

today I went out with my axe, to fell a tree for my boat [canoe]

Everything was going fine.. until something shitty happened. [pic related]

the tree fell the wrong direction, [not my first time chopping a tall tree down either.] it wouldn't normally of gotten stuck like it had, if it had a top to it.. [yeah it was pretty much dead, from root choke.]

I got maybe a few days to get this thing unstuck.. before the bugs and termites get to it, and the bark becomes very difficult to remove..

so other then chopping the other tree down because its risky as hell. what could I possibly do to take it down? I don't own an ATV, or I would try to pull it down with that.

>> No.620479

>>620467
Looks like a giant beaver took vengeance on tat tree. Dumb stupid imbecile, google how to cut down a tree properly.

>> No.620482

>>620467
If anybody deserves getting that tree stuck it is u.

>> No.620487

>>620479
>>620482
way to be assholes.. I'm asking for help, not for the quality of my tree cutting.. I know that the cutting is less then ideal, but its softer on the outer edges, and I did create a hinge. its the best I could do by myself, I got tired half way through, and my axe is more then not ideal. as well. but it got it cut, and that's the important part. also there's tree's all around this one, it was probably gonna get stuck no matter where it fell to begin with. now that you both have got your judging over with. how the fuck do I fix it.

>> No.620485

>>620467

Dude, you don't chop all the way around a tree to fall it. You chop the side that faces the direction you want to fall half way in, then start chopping the opposite side.

It will fall the way you want. Or, it will hang up on branches, kick over and kill you. Usually the former, but the latter is why you run like a sum-bitch when she starts to go.

What you have created is what fallers called a "widow maker". The technical term is a "hung tree". You fucked it up the first time and now there's no way to tell which way it will fall and there is no good way to clear this.

Take another tree. Leave that one. Hope when it falls by itself next winter it doesn't kill anyone.

>> No.620488

>>620485

This isn't really a widow-maker. A widow maker is would be, in this situation, if Op's tree had fallen against the trunk of another tree and bent it toward the ground. As one guy cuts the fallen tree, the bent tree snaps back and kills his buddy. Sorry to be technical.

>> No.620489

>>620485
Thanks, but I forgot to mention, only like a few branches are holding it up, tomorrow ima grab some friends and rope and give it ago at pulling it to the right, and dropping it..

I don't wanna just leave it there, a perfectly good tree, because I fucked up like a dumbass..

so better question is, what's the safest way to yank it down without killing anyone, other then really long ropes...

>> No.620490

>>620467
>>620485
>>620487
Sheesh.

Looks like one mighty pickle.

To be honest, if you can't get a truck to it or something to pull it you will find yourself in some serious danger. I'd say if it can be left, leave it and find another tree. Don't fuck with it since you have no idea what you are doing.

A professional standpoint would be to do 1 of 4 things. From most likely to least likely.

>1. Get in there with a chain and something stout to pull it.
>2. Not really professional and is kind of like the first but hook a come along or chain jack or something like that and pull it using another tree as an anchor until it is fall.
>3. Use a "pusher." That is, find a sizeable tree in the vicinity and fell it so that it strikes the hung tree and brings it down. This is really getting kinda in the iffy zone as you could get two hung trees instead of one.
>4. Use a very dangerous and advanced technique of stepping or walking up the tree. I don't know the proper term but basically, You make a small groove at the bottom of the tree that is directly vertical. Then you make a plunge cut in the dead center of the tree. (This method needs big diameter trees.) Then you make a top cut coming down to meet the plunge cut and in theory, the small gap between the plunge cut and the bottom cut will snap in two, the tree drops down or hopefully falls all the way, the chainsaw won't get pinched and you will have to move up and repeat until the tree is free, too thin or is too steep for this to work.

Number 2 is about the only way you will likely get out of this mess alone but come alongs/chain rachets are not very cheap and it still needs several feet of chain.

I wouldn't mess with it if you don't know what you are doing and you clearly don't. Don't let your ego get you killed bruh. Just admit you fucked up and leave it for a windstorm if possible. If not call a tree surgeon.

>> No.620492

I thought a widow maker was a tree with a dead top or other large branch of dead wood. You'd start cutting and the vibrations would cause the dead wood to fail and the top would come down on you.

>> No.620494

>>620489
The safest is a chain ratchet or pulley system like I said here >>620490. I can't really tell from the thumbnail how much is holding but if it is a few limbs you may get it out.

If you can't get it with shitty rope then use chain. Take a 20ft piece of rope or something and throw it over the highest point of the tree trunk as possible and then tie the rope to the end of the chain and pull the chain up over with the rope.

>> No.620496

>>620492
Widow Makers are actually a Winchester Shotgun that was a copy of the Browning Auto-5. However since the charging handle was a patented design and Winchester didn't want to into royalties they made it so you pulled the barrel back to charge the gun. Many fools set the gun stock down and pushed the barrel down with their head over the muzzle and shot themselves. In the face.

>Implying Widow Maker isn't anything that will fuck your shit up fast.

Term doesn't matter what the strict definition is.

>> No.620498

>>620490
again, I do know what I'm doing, I just was in such a stupid hurry to get it chopped, I fucked up. I understand what I did wrong, that's not the issue.

also, man power is all I got right now, got 4 friends coming out tomorrow, and some rope. we're gonna toss 2 long ropes towards the top, loop them so its taunt. and try pulling it through the other tree's branches. as I stated, this tree HAS NO branches on top. so its just the other tree, and the god damn grape vines.

so from what I've stated. what's the safest way of pulling it down?

also, If it starts to feel sketchy, ill bite the bullet and stop, but it doesn't feel sketchy yet.

I just need some pointers, and yours is very good, other then I don't own any of those tools.. hence why im chopping down a freaking tree with practically a hatchet..

>> No.620501

>>620494
its about, one 1 inch thick branch, 4 half inch thick branches, and a good amount of crappy little grape vines at the top.. that's to the right of it. to the left of it. is 1 good sized 4-5 inch think branch. hence, why I want to pull it to the left.. I'm just not sure about how NOT to get me, or 3 other guys killed in the process.

and got some pulley system ideas?

>> No.620502

>>620498
Well, if you wanted to get through it fast you would have chopped a wee bit higher than shin height from the pic.

If you are using an Axe go waist high for future reference. Axes aren't chainsaws, don't aim for the base of the tree. You will practically kill yourself with workload, won't get a good cut and will have to work around the tree like in the pic.

See >>620494.
Ratcheting device be it cable chain or I guess rope will be the safest and if it is just a few limbs will work 90% sure.

>> No.620503

>>620501
>hence, why I want to pull it to the left..

I meant fucking right, god im tired.

>> No.620504

>>620501
>How not to get killed.

Buy more rope/chain/cable.

I guess you could invest in beer and good running shoes or something too.

Enough beating around the bush. Either spend the 100 dollars in chain and another 75 in a come along and have very useful tools for the future or sell them at a minor loss and do the job safely and easily or try and rambo it and work really hard, spend no money and possibly get hit by a fucking tree.

Seriously, rope and pulleys and shit will work I guess but I wouldn't risk getting fucking killed over a canoe tree. Stop being stupid and spend the money and then resell what you bought at a slight loss or keep it. Is 200 dollars or less really worth getting seriously fucked up or killed over?

>> No.620505
File: 2.02 MB, 3264x1840, IMAG0981.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620502
I would normally, but I measured the tree, and noticed a knot in it, so I cut low, so when I split the tree making lumber, for the boat, It would be long enough, and compensate for shrinkage, and checking.

>> No.620508
File: 19 KB, 475x475, 1311015555398.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620504
> Is 200 dollars or less really worth getting seriously fucked up or killed over?

Yes.

>not understanding how cheap I am.
>cutting my own trees to make a canoe.

>mfw

>> No.620529

Make sure you tie the end of the rope around your waist so that if it gets hard to pull or snagged on the other tree you won't lose it.

Lol. Or just leave it this tree is not worth any harm that WILL come to you in trying to do this half assed. Doesn't matter how many people or how badly you want this tree without the right tools it will end badly.

>> No.620531

>>620529
>tie a noose around your waist and the other end to a 1ton weight. drop the weight.

>> No.620585

>>620508
Can't tell from your pic, is there another tree of decent size you can fall intu your leaner? Not the one that's holding it up, maybe one close enough to hit it tho.

>> No.620595

>>620482
>>620479
Confirmed for never having to work inawoods. This shit happens. No need to be such an ass about it.

>> No.620624

remember to use pulleys or loop the ropes around another tree so you're not pulling the tree toward yourselves. don't you dare get that rope looped around your hands/waist etc either.

>> No.620640

>>620595
It does not happen if you do yur homework and take the time to learn how to perform the task properly. The key word here is pragmatism and utilizing common sense. Approach the undertaking with a plan, estimate where the tree will fall, even if u have to lay perimeter lines to accomplish this, and scan yur target timber for any obstacles. LIKE OTHER TREES THAT MAY GET IN THE WAY or entangled with. It is a miracle that u came out of this unscathed. Utmost principle is safety first: were u wearing safety glasses etc,.

>> No.620657

>>620487
>I got tired half way through, and my axe is more then not ideal.

If you don't have the tools to do the project correctly, don't start the project!

You'r not going to complete this project anyway.

>> No.620666

>>620657
He will probably complete it in the sense of getting the tree down but he is going to need that new Obamacare stuff for sure.

>> No.620708

>>620666
>>620657
>>620640
>>620624

Well, im heading out in about an hour or so, will take LOTS of pictures of getting this damn thing down.. Seriously some people over complicate things.

the cave man advanced us to where we are now, with little more then some knapped tools.. Hell humans crossed OCEANS with these tools, and things made with these tools.

So that being said, I'm pretty sure I can get this tree down without hurting myself, others, or damaging other trees around it..

>>620595

Thanks anon.

>>620585

Not really, the only one that might work is a well over a a hundred year old pine, that I wouldn't want to cut down to knock a maybe 40 year old oak down, I got an idea how I'm going to pull it down. Simple machines.

again, in about an hour or so I'm leaving. I'll take lots of pictures for DIY.. just waiting for my friend to get home to help me get everything setup.

Also I'm kind of hoping that it fell on its own over night and all I gotta do is chop it up. - but I doubt it.

>> No.620714

ITT, op writes his own obituary.

hurt, even a caveman could do it. Because they cave man that figures this out was a fucking genius, everyone with what we would consider a 100 or 110 point IQ would have been killed by tigers or trees falling on them...

>> No.620722

>>620467
This is what happens when the wrong head is in charge.

>> No.620728

>>620722
For the hundredth time. I DID CUT A hinge. I DID cut the back about an 2 inches higher. And then I chopped some of the sides out because it was softer and I was hoping it would cut quicker..

The reason for the stump looking rounded is because I took a few smacks with the axe out of boredom slash thinking, a small hinge was on there.

I would also like to add. If you have such a huge issue with the way I do things, and what tools I do them with. Go ahead and forward $300 to my PayPal and ill go buy a chainsaw and safety equipment...

>> No.620732

>>620489
>what's the safest way to yank it down without killing anyone, other then really long ropes...

climb up the trees it leans on and chop off the support. use short ropes to tie yourself to said tree.

>> No.620733

>>620467
Either scale the other tree it is entangled with and cut that trees branch off (do not imagine this happening) or sacrifice the tree that it is embraced with. Now u got a 2 for 1.

>> No.620742

>>620733
>sacrifice the tree
Are there any particular god that is pleased by plant-life sacrifices that I should name, or would it be enough to start the prayer with "To whom this sacrifice might please..." - I mean there's a lot of praying going on so clearly they have some pretty divine message routing laid down?

>> No.620769

>>620640
I'm not Op. I am just a person who seen a pic of a mistake. Rather than jump on a "you so stupid" tirade, I made a post in an effort to help>>620585. Then I made a post criticising you, for being an ass >>620595

>> No.620774

Honestly, would it be that bad if you just left the tree you already chopped down, and found another.

>> No.620808
File: 2.67 MB, 3264x2448, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.620811
File: 2.63 MB, 3264x2448, 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dont do this alone

dont know how heavy the trunk is and how strong you are, but it worked for me once. but honestly, both atemps are more stupid and dangerous than just leaving the tree there or chop it right at the first try

greetings from a german landscaper, sorry for my english

>> No.620832
File: 2.37 MB, 1506x1854, Thepullingdevice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP back, friend blew me off for his girlfriend... what a douche.

anyway, I managed to get the tree down by myself.. safely. just got the rope up as high as I could, and created sorta a winch/pully? idk what to call it. worked tho. pics following.

>> No.620833
File: 1.78 MB, 1469x828, gotitdownallbymyselfstillalive.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620832
was pretty easy, and safe.

>> No.620835
File: 1.35 MB, 828x1469, cuttingtosize.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620832
almost cut to size [14 feet]

started to drag it back through about 400 yards of thick brush. got maybe 100 yards before my energy was exhausted. gonna make some sort of wheeled device I can pick up the log, and put it on to pull it home. - 1 mile of trees +/-

>> No.620853
File: 25 KB, 460x460, fell-a-tree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620487
>way to be assholes.

That pic makes me cringe
You should be so lucky they're being assholes. You need a good slap in the face because the way you're cutting trees is going to get you killed. You said yourself the tree fell the wrong way. Next time it might fall on you.

>> No.620855
File: 195 KB, 1280x1024, The_Angry_Beavers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620853
Also, this is how I imagine OP looks right now.

>> No.620944

>>620853
k when you go outside, this weekend when you go grocery shopping with your mum, make sure to take pictures of all the trees you chop down!

>> No.620950

>>620853
poor chimpmuck :c

>> No.620968

>>620728
you clearly didnt cut a hinge.

>> No.621001
File: 80 KB, 480x480, that feel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>620467
>>620467
I know that feel /diy/ bro

>> No.621003

>>621001
Oh god, look at that! that must of been horrible to get out.

at least its on a flat, grassy patch, and next to a road, so a truck/winch would be pretty easy to get out there and pull on it.

unlike me, who choose to go cut a tree, that was in some pretty thick bush, with that nice dense, slick mud, with leafs over top [does help dragging it out to where I can get to it with a vehicle.. the mud and leafs that is.] Gotta find something tomorrow with wheels on it. so Its a little easier for one man [myself] to pull it out.. glad I didn't choose another tree further in, that's for sure! at least I have a pretty decent beaten path now.

I also always wonder if people go out there, and will see this trail and follow it, and notice that someone dragged out a whole god damn tree. by hand too, cause there will be no tire tracks.. haha. my hands hurt so much today, gotta make more progress tomorrow though, can't stop now!