[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.17 MB, 1901x778, this will never be your home.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
618589 No.618589 [Reply] [Original]

I need it. Where would one even find a shop like this to make into a home?

>> No.618605

It's actually two shipping containers. Shipping containers are actually relatively easy to get, lots of hipster home designs based around them.

The problem with shipping containers is that they're small. The process and cost involved in joining more than one, weatherproofing and unsulating (ESPECIALLY one underground) is astronomical. Chances are it will cost more than a normal home of the same size

>> No.618602

they're called kit homes. you can buy them with the cost of assembly from the company

>> No.618607

Looks like two 40 foot containers on top of two twenty foot containers and garage doors in between on the ground floor.

Second floor has high windows for light and a truss roof covered in corrugated metal.

The inside walls of the containers have most certainly been taken out to make interior room.

Interior living space on the second floor looks to be 40x25 feet or so; around 1000 sq/ft. This would be a roomy one bedroom with high ceilings, giving it a loft appearance. Actual interior space is likely to be less due to the need to insulate. The truss roof would also have to be insulated under between the roofing and the trusses.

This house would easily be buildable for under $50k, so long as you could do most of the work yourself.

>> No.618822

>>618589
LOL

ITS A SHIPPING CONTAINER HOME #FTW

JUST PARTICIPATE IN THE 50 THREADS ABOUT THIS.

>> No.618825

it would be cheaper to build a home completely from scratch than to buy shipping containers and make them into a home.

>> No.618826

epic

simply epic

>> No.618863

>>618825
It would look better too.

>> No.618909

ISOs can be affordable SHOP space as shown in the pic, but its stupid to top ISOs with ISOs unless you get cheap ISOs and free crane service.

You can order ISO container covers designed for single-height rather than stacked and be able to erect it all yourself:

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/industrial/products/container-covers

I have three ISOs, two High Cubes joined at the side, and a separate Steelmaster I've owned for over 20 years. (I even moved it once, they are easy to unbolt if you were smart enough to use anti-seize on the bolts when you built it, one can is enough for a 20x20.)

Here's how to do it:

Have a power pole installed with the largest service you can get and 220 50A (for welder) and other outdoor electrical outlets on the pole.
I did this and it's insanely convenient.

Pour or set (you may be able to find something suitable in precast concrete in your area) four small slabs to support the ends of your ISOs. I used large I-beam instead atop some railroad rock. (Roadbed doesn't crush for a reason.)
If you are capable of basic construction you'll figure out what works for you.

Have ISOs delivered, typically on a rollback trailer. Set them in place.
I moved mine manually (I had the time and enjoy puzzles though I could have afforded a backhoe rental) using large bottle jacks, pipe sections as rollers, and various scrap metal and lumber along with a Wyeth-Scott (wonderful tool) manual comealong.

Install a weathehead and subpanel in one ISO, which you wisely located next to your power pole.

Pack yer equipment into the ISO and operate out of that, then erect yer Steelmaster.

In contrast to trying to make a conventional home, ISOs are great for shops because that lovely SEALED space protects your precious equipment from dirt daubers and humitidy.

>> No.620378

>>618909
>all that ISO
It's tine for a purge.

>> No.620455

>>618589
alibaba.com under container homes already wired, etc. Can also purchase solar energy equipment as well.

>> No.620670

>>618589
Never mind those anons: that shop looks cool as hell..need one put on my rural property. Can purchase used storage containers for 1.5k-2k. Tis way cheaper than building from scratch a new home. Alibaba.com make sure you get the dimensions comes with a guarantee of 30 years. If u wiki alibaba.com it is a reputable site doin more business transactions than ebay and amazon combined.

>> No.620681

>>618589
>I need it. Where would one even find a shop like this to make into a home?
At the movies.

>> No.620739

>I need it. Where would one even find a shop like this to make into a home?

Take the pic to a contractor who does steel fabrication.

Pay him to draft plans to make something similar out of ISO containers and for estimates of each stage of construction including permits and utilities.

Pay to have it erected.

>> No.621431

alibaba isn't the actual fucking ISO vendor so its rep is irrelevant.

You need to know far more detail than "herp, derp, I buy containurr".

Contact the company doing the actual work.

>> No.621620

OP pic is Flynn's container house from the TRON Legacy movie. its 3 containers deep BTW.

build it here:
http://toolmonger.com/2012/06/26/build-flynns-container-home-from-tron-legacy-kinda/