[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 565 KB, 1600x1294, 1395857390847.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
617115 No.617115 [Reply] [Original]

Specifically something like this.I know it's tough, I know I'd never have the time or resources to do anything like it, but lately, I've been thinking about making an underground city. And I'm not talking about some one-level, straight-outta-Middle-East BS. No, I mean something closer to when you take Utapau and seal the top. What are your thoughts, /diy/?
Best method for highest structural integrity of such an open complex?
Ways to replenish air/electricity/food?
Preventing people from wanting to rebel and leave?
Bioluminescent trees instead of streetlights?
GOGOGO

>> No.617126

buy open coal mine

Pour big-ass concrete columns to support multi-level city layout. Cover with a dome. Burry the dome. Branch out. Power with a thorium reactor. Aquapontic food supply system. Cultivate some auatic bio-luminescent algie culture put in glass tubes all over for ambian lighting.

Implement a dress code of your favorite fantasy culture.

Abduct people because I doubt meny would go on their own.

>> No.617125

Without context your questions are meaningless.

The best construction method is whatever is effective and efficient to do what it is designed to do. So that can be 1000 totally different things in a different place in a different time.

Ways to replenish air electricity food? Style of lighting!? This is the easy part. They come AFTER you've decided where it is and how deep and how big and how many people and how long etc etc.

>> No.617129

Was thinking something either spherical or conical for the general structure, then work the buildings into it, keeping the middle either empty, bridges, exposed water + trees to accompany bridges, or more buildings. although the latter may compromise integrity.
For renewable resources, I was thinking solar panels on the surface, I've heard fir and pine trees can grow without sunlight for a while (see that case in 2009 with that guy who had one growing in his lung). As for food, that's still something to think about, should there be a nuclear event or some kind of above-ground disaster, topside crops would be destroyed. We would need some kind of fruit trees and/or root vegetables along with some livestock.
People leaving could prove to be an issue and a blessing at the same time. On one hand: less mouths to feed. On the other, less hands to feed the other mouths.
If we went with the trees/water/bridges in the middle of the structure,we could curb energy consumption by using genetically modified bioluminescent trees. If we could manage to engineer/gain access to them, we could probably scrap the fir trees and use these ones, as if they have BL, then they are bound to not need sunlight, unless of course it was an artificial engineer that didn't take this factor into consideration.
Also keeping people out: how would we be able to keep out any unwanted invaders by hiding the entrance?

>> No.617131

>>617125
Well, 1-2 Miles below the surface would be ideal, and the city would be an indefinite existance

>> No.617132

>>617129

building a bunker is hard

building a city... is harder

that would require the best construction companies in the world, plus a lot of manpower

keeping it a secret would be impossible even if you have a government behind your back

>> No.617134

>>617132
Of course it's going to be harder, if building a structure underground for one family is difficult, one for enough to fill a small city is going to be obviously very difficult.
I'm not saying to keep it secret, just enough to have anyone who'd want it compromised out.

>> No.617133

>>617131

the lower you go, the hotter it gets.

>A typical value would be about 30 degrees Centigrade per kilometer.

On a related note geo-thermal source of energy would be a logical thing to do.

>> No.617135

>>617133
Why did I not think of geothermal? When you're down that low, that seems to be the only logical thing to do. it would be much more cost efficient, material wise, to use a thorium reactor as >617126 stated, than to run 1-2mi of wires from something that could be easily destroyed without anyone knowing.

>> No.617136

You will run out of metal and eventually all technology

You will run out of power source

You will run out of nutrition because of lack of biodiversity

You will run out of air

You will get wiped out by flu

You will get wiped out by rodents

You will get wiped out by flooding

It won't work if it's isolated

>> No.617137

>>617134

Well, defending a city-like structure in a case of war is a really hard task. That branches to something /k/ would like.

>> No.617138

>>617129
>We could curb energy consumption by using genetically modified bioluminescent trees

Jesus christ, /diy/.

>Implying bioluminescence doesn't require energy.
>Implying plants underground would not need lighting to photosynthesize.

There are people growing weed right now that have a better understanding of biology than you do.

Seriously, even /sci/ understands what "conservation of energy" means.

>> No.617142

>>617136
Not with that attitude, it won't.

That's why we are taking all of this into consideration, to prevent exactly this. leave instructions on how to keep everything maintained. branch out for more supplies, that's the beauty of being so far underground: no one has gotten to anything else yet. With the appropriate precautions, flooding and rodents would not be an issue. having pharmacists aboard who could teach each new generation on how to treat the flu, and any mutations it may take on. Power can always be found because branching out is always an option, and using geothermal would mean we would be powered by the earth itself. Metal can be replenished by branching out as well. Trees will solve the air situation, and biodiversity is to be achieved through the changing of crops grown. albeit a tad limited in what we can grow without sunlight.

>> No.617141

>>617136

not OP

Well, in theory earth is an isolated structure, the external energy to support life comes from the sun and it is enough to suppor an eco-system.

There were several large experiments to create self-sustaining bio-systems, provided you have a source of energy.

Of course, I doubt such city can survive more then 200 years or so.

>> No.617145

>>617115
>>>/x/

>> No.617146

>>617142
No Kim it won't work. At most for one or two decades maybe.

>> No.617149

>>617146
What's more, there's literally no benefits to be gained for doing it, other than it being an underground city. Bunkers are superior, just as safe from nukes, and do not need to fulfill some 2edgy5life teenager fantasy about being hidden.

Underground building is expensive and needs much more considerations and time than building above ground.

>> No.617150
File: 59 KB, 536x378, RADON-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a slight counter-argument OP.

>> No.617151

Okay here are the fundamental questions:

1. source of water (can be minimal if sufficient planting + huge enough reservoir although pretty much impossible)
2. source of air (arguably can be recycled if sufficient planting)
3. source of sunlight (must have, or alternatively unlimited source of power + unlimited source of light bulbs)

answer the 3 questions and you will have your own underground whatever