[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 414 KB, 1305x1305, mason jar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
612941 No.612941[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here have any experience with DIY liquor?

I was thinking about making some mead, two batches. One with hops, one without. If you have any experience making your own shtuff, I'd like to hear about your experiences!

>> No.612946

yea i spent 2 months in "kerry" Ireland and the guy i stayed with was shining on his farm, i know abit anything inperticular you wana know?

>> No.613076

Bump.

>> No.613119

>>612941
why are brewermen so obsessed with hops?

>> No.613603

>>613119
It's their equivalent of hemp for stone-cronies.
They think there's pride in their brewing if they use hops.

>> No.613604

I've got a batch of cherry Skeeter pee in secondary that I'm stabilizing and force carbing this weekend. I want to do shine eventually. Mostly whiskey and neutral with an eaux de vie now and then. The still plan is a keg for boiler with electric heating, a steel tube going up to a tee and a liebig. Instead of a valve ill just move the condenser up and down. I can pack it for vodka or run it like a pot for my whiskey or schnapps.

I've never heard of a hopped Mead before, are they on good? I prefer hibiscus.

>> No.613607

I used to run straight shine in my 20's and sell that shit to friends and act Rock-a-billy and psychobilly concerts. I also toyed around with making some proper liquors but the shine sold. I also did some mixing of juices and what not with shine and selling that. People still just preferred buying it straight up and mixing it themselves.

>> No.613640

Arkansas fag here. used to make straight moonshine. never made the apple pie varient or anything. it's pretty simple to do really, and cheap. what do you want to know?

>> No.613693

>>613640
recipe, best parts to use

>> No.613706

thepiratebay>homebrew>sort by books>sort by highest seed

all the info you could ever need

>> No.613869

>>612941
>asks about diy "liquor"
>posts pic of mason jar
Thinks about making mead

Not adding up op

>> No.613872

>>612941
Hope you have patience, mead tastes like swill until it hits a year old. Don't give a fuck about those "quick" recipies. Still tastes like crap until 1 year. At two years it becomes heavenly

>> No.613885

Prepare to be disappointed in 18 months if you're making mead.

>> No.614000

Yeah OP, mead is not liquor.

But I've been making mead (and cider and beer) for about two years.

For mead, you can start with the famous Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe.
It's super easy, no complicated bullshit, not fancy ingredients, and it makes a delicious mead in 2-3 months.

You could skip to fancier stuff involving fancy yeasts and fancy honeys and fancy yeast nutrients and all, but Joe's is always a good place to start.

>> No.614043

Yeah I would personally disregard people saying mead won't taste good until it's at least a year old. I made batch of orange-vanilla mead and after 2 months in primary and 3-4 in secondary to really clear it was fucking delicious, even won a local contest sooooo yeah.

>> No.614060

>>612941
Mead is great, I've made quite a bit but it does take a long time. Look up Joe's ancient orange mead recipe.
Does pack quite a kick.

>> No.614189
File: 194 KB, 659x1600, 1353634916494.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>612941
Poor mans mead. Made a few batches once. Turned out decently.

>> No.614191
File: 97 KB, 1288x754, 1353508289602.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>612941
Wanted to try this but never got around to it.

>> No.614245

>>614043
No don't disregard us, this hack has never had a 2 year old mead. Instead, because he was fucking inpatient, proclaims his 6 month old mead "good". I have also made two batches of the famous "Joe's ancient orange mead". Tastes like orange flavored lighted fluid after 3 months. Is somewhat ok after 1 1/2 years.

>> No.614253

The obvious answer is just to try your particular mead in stages. Try it after a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, 2 years and see what happens for yourself. Aint nobody going to make their first mead and just ignore it for 2 years. Just don't drink it all until you can try the 2 year old one.

>> No.614257

>>614253
I am the sumbitch proclaiming mead isn't good for 2 years. But I am also going to tell you to to google "bray's one month mead". This recipe was created buy a guy who is a phd microbiologist in during the day, spends the rest of his time making fucking mead. His recipe and protocol will deliver a mead in one month that tastes as good as any 2 year plus old mead. Draw back is the cost and availability of the Belgium beer yeast he uses. But it works.

>> No.614280

Made hooch from grape juice once. Took two weeks to ferment. Came out decent. Better than nothing when under 21 I guess.

>> No.614546

>>614191
man, if you did that in America you'd die. Roundup is errywhere.

>> No.614591

>>614546
Do you not have woods near you? Go pick them in a meadow. Also it's not like roundup isn't already in all you food via corn.

>> No.614623

>>614245
You sound really mad. I've tasted tons of mead and while mine wasn't the best it was actually up there; why does that disturb you so much?

>> No.614641

Made moonshine from

1) sugar
2) bakers yeast
3) tomato paste
4) multivitamins
5) wine making grapejuice bucket
6) Hose and a bowl of water for an airlock (more on this at the end).

Wash bucket, fill half full of water, put everything you will use in it, add a cap full of bleach, fill rest with water. Jerk-off while everything sterilizes.

Empty bucket, rinse everything.

Take your pound of bakers yeast and add 3/4ths to a pot of boiling water along with the tomato paste. Yeast is a living thing. It needs nutrients to grow. Those nutrients come from this yeast you're killing.

Add sugar to the bucket, how much depends on how big your bucket is. Add boiling water (not the stuff with the yeast) and stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Add cold water until it's slightly cold. This is around 35 degrees C.

Put your killed yeast in. Grind the multivitamin, put that in too. More nutrients. I don't know if it's necessary, but whatever.

Put the last 1/4 of the yeast in a bowl with water that's luke-warm. Stir until you have a thin yeast soup. Let it sit for 20 min.

Dump in the yeast, fill the rest with water, put the lid on and put the airlock on.

PUT THE WHOLE SETUP IN YOUR BATHTUB. This shit will ferment like the dickens. This is why you use food grade hose with the end in a bowl of water instead of a wine-making airlock. It will blow a wine-making airlock right off.

This finishes fermenting in a week. Distill and charcoal filter for sweet tasting vodka.

>> No.614645

>>614623
Not mad. Not disturbed. Just calling you out. Been making mead long enough to know the truth. Don't want some newbies getting discouraged after taking your shit advice and never make mead again.

>> No.614978

>>614645
You're not calling out shit, just accept that your opinion isn't the be all end all. If I tasted my mead and wasn't discouraged, why would OP be? The prospect of having to wait 2 years for something is far more discouraging than only making something "good"; my point is, it doesn't matter if his first batch isn't exceptional, 6 months is long enough to make a mead that will fan the flame of his interest in brewing and maybe persuade him to tackle a more traditional, batch, that will probably taste amazing. My advice isn't shit, it's realistic. If OP allots himself 6 months, he will get a fine mead, if he wants to take the time and and get an exceptional mead that's great, but get off your high-horse and stop acting like your the only one whose opinion on mead is worth a damn.

>> No.615020

>>614645

this is a quality post

>> No.615056

>>614978
Well who's mad and disturbed now!!! Your advice is still shit and is in fact not realistic. Being impatient and producing an inferior product should never be considered "realistic" good abvice for a newbie. Just keep enjoying your hot, high phenolic, fusel, nail polish remover tasting 6 month old mead. Post a pic of that "award" you won with it and a detailed recipe then I might start to buy some of the bs your spouting

>> No.615058

>>614641 is Pretty accurate for /diy/

Most people just try and do sugar and yeast and don't get any good results.

>> No.615210

>>615056
Listen, all I'm trying to say is I wouldn't tell somebody who's never cooked before to start with rabbit, wouldn't tell somebody who's never forged before to start with a full size sword, wouldn't tell somebody who's never done math before to start with quadratic equations. Know why? Most people, when confronted with something like that, will get frustrated and quit. It really doesn't matter what you say, because the reality is in the brewing, I don't need to prove anything to you bub, I'm just trying to tell OP he doesn't have to wait 2 years to try bottle his first mead. By the way my mead tasted like oranges and honey, with hints of vanilla thank you very much. Hell, why take my word for it when OP can just siphon off a taste at 6 months and try it for himself. Anyways I'll post my recipe next, and I'll see if I can find the award.

>> No.615216

>>615210
So my book is at my other house, here's the basics, minus any specific measurements (which I'll provide when I have my book)

around 7 liters of distilled water, 2 liters of OJ (no added sugar/preservatives), about 9 lbs of local honey, champagne yeast, pectin enzyme, yeast nutrient, some campden tablets for secondary, as well as 2 vanilla beans in the primary, 1 in the secondary, and additional home made extract (vanilla and orange) added to taste prior to the bottling (layers of flavor nahmsayn?)

I feel like we're disagreeing on a relatively subjective matter though (taste) in which case this argument will never be resolved wither way.

>> No.615223

>>612941
Alabama here.
Made probably 100+ batches of moonshine. Willing to help, what do you want to know?

>> No.615261

>>615210
Your analogies are useless. If you want to tell a newbie to make something that will be good and quick, tell them to make beer, or a cider. (fucking sword??really??). And what you made with oranges and vanilla , layered to mask the young hot taste as best as possible, is in fact not mead. It is called a melomel/methlegin. Even these taste like crap until they are about a year old. I stand by what I said. You have not had the patience to wait for a mead/melomel to age and the only reason you think its worth a shit is because you made it. By the way, I never said wait 2 fuckin years to bottle. I said it starts to get good at 1 year, but becomes amazing at 2 years. Good luck with your orange/vanilla melomel.

>> No.615267

>>615223
Not op, I am the jerk posting about mead. I also make shine with a boka still. Not an expert with shine by any means, want to hear about you mash and what kind of still you run. Thinking about making a pot still to get into the real "art" of shine. What are your thoughts?

>> No.615391

>>615267
At least you know you're a jerk, jerk.

>> No.615398

>>615267
I used to use a reflux. However prefer the pot still (taste reasons).
Mash, I use a simple recipe.
5 gallons water
7 lbs cracked corn.
7 lbs sugar
1 tbsp yeast
Any other questions, just ask.

>> No.615477

>>615267
Fun way to pass time and play with different flavours.
My last run was 25L water with 4kg of sugar and 1.5kg of blackstrap molasses thrown in halfway through the fermrntation. After the molasses was in it really took off, could hear the gas whistling through my airlock.
Ran it through the still twice, second time added about a quarter ounce of fresh powdered anise seed.
Ended up with 3L of a decent white rum with a black liquorice taste.

>> No.615482

>>613119
>>613603

it makes beer less likely to be infected by bacteria amongst a few other benefits

>> No.615490

>>615482
They formerly used an herb blend called Gruit.
But the Catholics hoarded the recipes, so the Protestant Brits used hops from India.

It sadly ballooned from there, and every asshole makes an IPA now.

>> No.615588

>>613603
If it's not hopped, it's not beer.
Mead on the other hand is not hopped, usually.
You must be a BMC drinker who's never tasted hops before.