[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 290 KB, 1111x1435, beforeafterfull.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
604671 No.604671 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /diy/.

Remember me? I'm the guy who restored an old weight set (pic).

I'm now about to make a bench for it. I've looked for some plans to follow, like this PDF:

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/support-files/homemade-weight-lifting-bench.pdf

I think it seems sturdy enough, at least it's the best I could find.

So, any advise? Any considerations I should take before starting?

I'm also completely lost on the upper part (where the bar would rest), any help would be much appreciated, I don't want to make a homemade guillotine.

>> No.604718
File: 100 KB, 519x921, muh.44.bux.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here is another DIY bench option, I followed their Squat stand/bench press rack
>4chan thinks link is spam
>google "strongest-bench-youll-never-buy"

The PDFs stand is like the squat stand, the bar rests on top of a lower 2x4 between two higher 2x4s. The one in back to stop the bar from going too far back and the one in front to catch it if it rolls forward

>> No.604720

>>604718
keep in mind my rack is unfinished but usable for the lmao1plaet I have yet to drop, I'll attach it to the garages studs whenever the 20 panels of gypsum is off the floor.

My stand uses Nail plates I had on hand at the tops of the 2x4s where the bar rests

>> No.604725

>>604671
What kinda paint did you use, and did you prime them first?

I just tried restoring some iron plates. My process was soaking them in water, scrapping up as much rust as possible. Soaking in water + CLR, and scrapping again. Rinse and wipe down. Then blast with WD40 and let air dry for a a day. Then sprey with tremclad enamel spray paint.

Only been a week of light use, but they are holding up well so far.

>> No.604727

>>604725
Not trolling, but wouldn't electrolytic cleaning have been simpler and easier?

>> No.604741

>>604725
OP here.
Don't over complicate things.

I just used a wire brush and removed the rust manually on the weekends. It wasn't a big deal.

I didn't prime them either, I simply used some oil based paint. It's been two months and I haven't seen the slightest sign of rust.

>> No.604819

>>604727
Yeah, but setting that up wouldnt be worth it, since i only had 3x10's, 2x5lbs and 2x3lbs.

>>604741
Maybe i gave the impression that i put a lot of effort into them, but it was literally 3 minutes of work on each plate.
Just wanted to make sure there wasnt any rust under the layer of paint i put on.

>> No.604820

>>604671
looks good man! still think you should have plasti-dipped that shizz but that's just me :]

>> No.605181

bump for advise

>> No.605724

>>604820
Plasti-dip on weights would be *HORRIBLE*
The plasti-dip isnt resilient enough to handle any scrapping or friction... So the coating between the plates(where they rub against each other when they get loose) and along the edge of the rim would wear off within 1 or 2 sets.

I mean the solution you actually dip tools into(rather than spray on) might last a little longer, but would be expensive as fuck to do, and still wear out within a month.

Plasti-dip is not the same stuff tool makers use to put rubber handles on pliers, or what the 'rubber weights' have.

Plasti-dip really is useless crap unless you're only interested in aesthetics.

>> No.605745

I'm getting ready to try this very same thing. Thanks for posting OP!

>> No.606164

fyi anyone who wants easy mode rust removal:

just soak the items in a big bucket of vinegar. its an acid so it will remove the rust but a weak one so it wont destroy the underlying metal. every once in a while i would take the item out, scrub it to agitate the loosened rust and expose more, until its where you want it. takes time (few days to a week, depending on level of rust) but very effective and no work at all.

i would also give a recommendation for epoxy paint such as that used on appliances which is very very durable for applications where wear is a concern. limited color choices but black gray ivory white silver even green and blue are available. tremclad and rustoleum are good stuff but epoxy is really tough

>> No.606351

>>606164

>>604725(here)
Yeah, vinegar is better than my water + CLR. Thing is, you'll need atleast a gallon to do 1 plate at a time. 1 splash of CLR + 1 gallon of water was enough for me to sufficiently take the rust off my plates.

If you're going to refinish an axe or hammer head, by all means use vinegar. If its something you plan on painting later on though, dont worry about getting every molecule of rust, and just make sure you displace all the water before you paint it.