[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 268 KB, 1224x1224, 1393189858725.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
602043 No.602043[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So I have my gaming computer in my basement and my router connected to my work computer in a room on the main floor.

I need to connect my gaming computer to internet somehow
I am wondering if I connect the router to the internet plug in on the wall and connect my gaming computer to the internet plug in downstairs, is there some way that can work?

>> No.602062

If your house is wired with cat5 then sure? You don't sound like you know what you're talking about, so the 'internet plug' on your wall is probably your phone line, which won't work for this. If you open it up and it is wired with cat5, but only has the blue/white blu connected, then you can go and buy an rj-45 faceplate for it and redo both ends so you can run ethernet. You'll also need to find the other end of the cable, it almost definitely doesn't go to the other room.

Assuming you have DSL and your house is wired with cat5 and they are all home runs... It's probably coming into your office on line one, that will be blue/white blue. You'll have to split that phone line onto an rj-11 jack, and wire the rest of the cat5 to an rj-45 jack. Then go back to where the lines originate, and you'll need to tie the other end of the rest of the cat5 to the one for the game room. Then you'll need to turn the game room's into rj-45. Now you have a single ethernet run from the office to the game room. The modem/router in the office needs a little ethernet jumper from the router to the rj-45 jack on the wall, and then you can connect the game room to the wall down there.

If that is all greek to you, you need to do a lot of googling, or just hire someone to do it. If you don't have DSL, and you don't have cat5 in your home, you'll have to run a new line, or go with another technology like MOCA (coax ethernet bridge) or powerline networking (powerline ethernet bridge). They're both about $100 for a set, and they're both quite good now. 100 mbit easily. It's also about $100 to get a new line run. You could contact a local guy to do it, or the phone company/cable company will also both be able to do a _data_ jack.

>> No.602152
File: 17 KB, 176x185, zzz(12).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>602043
>internet plug