[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 73 KB, 600x449, mum7vLq[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
597096 No.597096 [Reply] [Original]

Lets make this short and sweet so this thread can die that much faster.

I've gotten myself a 2200mm long box that use to hold machine parts in it. The box is made out of wood chipping compressed together, apparently called "particle board", Which I thought was something entirely different but hey lets move on.

I plan to use it as a garden box outside, but I know i'm going to need to coat this box in something to make it last a year of New Zealand's sub tropical climate. Plastic will be laid on the inside to keep the inside safe from a fuckton of rain water collecting in there, but the box itself will still be in the rain.

Anything I can coat this box in to make it last a year, I don't exactly need longer.

I've heard diesel should be good enough but It sounds a bit dodgy.

Pic is what the box is made out of.

I also plan to paint over it after putting on a seal, and i guess depending on what the seal is, put another layer of it over the paint.

>> No.597099
File: 178 KB, 344x344, bondcrete_buddies.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>597096
Bond-Crete, paint it on essentially, will probably need to dilute a bit (read package). (idk if it is sold in NZ, its from AUS so probably).
Make sure the wood is dry before putting any sealing coat on. Will probably need a fair few (3-4) layers, then you should be able to put a finish coat of paint on the top of that if you feel like it.

>> No.597100

>>597096
>The box is made out of wood chipping compressed together, apparently called "particle board", Which I thought was something entirely different but hey lets move on.
The picture in OP is of "chipboard". Particleboard looks like sawdust glued & compressed into a flat sheet.

Any glued board is a poor choice in wet environments. But its free, so anyway.

Any kind of petroleum like diesel fuel runs the risk of ruining the glue.

The top needs a totally-waterproof covering (like a piece of galvanized sheet steel, or corrugated plated steel). And the sides must be painted with outdoor paint. Also the box needs to sit on bricks or a small pile of gravel, so that it doesn't soak up rainwater from the ground.

>> No.597170

>>597096
>I plan to use it as a garden box outside
>but I know i'm going to need to coat this box in something to make it last a year of New Zealand's sub tropical climate.
I doubt you'll get a year using any coating that will be cheap enough to suit. But you could try using exterior-grade varnish, applying at least 2 but as many as 4 or 5 coats applies to every square mm of all faces.

Honestly I think you'd be better off making a box up from wood salvaged from pallets! Even uncoated that'll last the year.

>>597100
>The picture in OP is of "chipboard".
Uh, OSB surely?

Unless I'm completely misinterpreting the pic those flakes are far larger than the 1-5mm you'd see in chipboard.

>Particleboard looks like sawdust glued & compressed into a flat sheet.
And that's MDF or HDF surely?

>> No.597180

OSB, oriented strand board is what is in the picture.

MDF and HDF are made of sawdust and glue compacted.

Particle board is the middle ground. It is what cheap IKEA and walmart furniture are made out of.

The more you know!

>> No.597219

Its definitely OSB rather than particle board. It is extremely pourous and is going to soak up water like a sponge. If you plan on a vegetable garden, I'd recommend using lumber. It would be terrible to poison yourself with whatever chemical you decide to seal it with just to save a few bucks.

>> No.597225

>>597096
>particle board, chip board
Don't use that. It swells and falls apart when exposed to moisture.
If its outside, even if you seal it well, it will fall apart.

>> No.597227

>>597096
Don't use it.

Go out, buy some cheap-as-piss 3x6 pine, make a box outta that. Untreated, it'll take about two years to rot into uselessness. Treated, could last indefinitely. OSB, on the other hand, i've known it to fall apart by simply being in the same room as water.

>> No.597285

>>597170
>And that's MDF or HDF surely?
MDF and HDF aren't glued, they're heat-pressed. They're sort of like wood felt. Get the edge of an MDF board wet and watch it expand like a sponge.

>> No.597289

>>597100
its osb or sterling board where im from

>> No.597302

yall are retard.
Its called OSB oriented strand board.
>Anything I can coat this box in to make it last a year, I don't exactly need longer.
prime an exterior paint
/thread.

>> No.597305

Making that weatherproof with a coating is not really going to work. You could probably get a year out of it pretty easily though, just hang plastic (like even contractor bags would work) over each sheet before you assemble, open side down. Staple it where lose, seal fastener and staple holes with a little caulk. Its still going to wick moisture into it out of the air, swell up, and fall apart, but you might get a year out of it if you can keep rain from actually touching it anywhere. (I see where they are going with the whole oil-diesel waterproofing concept, but I think it will start coming apart from the diesel as well.) You could... just throw a tarp over it if you only need it to last a year.. as long as it is up off the ground (pallet or something) and you don't forget to retarp it should be ok. (If you use a white tarp and put it in the right place with the right angles, you could even channel rainwater and sunlight towards your garden.)

>> No.597307

enough bitumen will make most things weatherproof

>> No.597346

I don't think you want the entire thing water proof. You should leave some drainage to prevent overwatering

>> No.597356

>>597302
You stupid fuck, you can't /thread your own post.

>> No.597363
File: 21 KB, 200x250, 1390934132514.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>597356
Oh, but I can.
/thread.

>> No.597367

>>597285
>MDF and HDF aren't glued, they're heat-pressed.
The hell they aren't. I'm tired and cranky so please forgive my short temperr but FFS you could have confirmed this with like 2 seconds worth of a web search.

Standard hardboard is usually bonded together using just heat and pressure (lignin then becomes the bonding agent) but MDF and some other forms of HDF are resin-bonded, usually/traditionally using urea-formaldehyde although that's slowly falling out of favour.

>>597302
Reading difficulties there mate or did you just get lazy before you got down to the 4 previous posts stating that it's OSB.

And if you think that primer and exterior paint is enough to completely seal off a board from moisture you're dreaming.

>> No.597491

Cheers for the input guys, Got told by another guy that creosode(?) will actually make it last for years.

I realise this will probably be a failure of a project. I'm a sparky apprentice not a chippy ;)

But cheers for the input guys, if it falls apart I no doubt will go out and buy some vood and build my own.

Too bad i'm terrible at wood work but it's all weekend project kinda shit, right?

Have a good one guys, Cheers, I'll have a look back on this thread tomorrow if anyone wants to say anything. Otherwise this thread may now die quietly.

>> No.597498

>>597367
>exterior paint isn't made for exterior applications
>reading difficulties
Get a load of this guy

>> No.597503

tar or pitch...

>>mfw not using what ship builders have used for 100s of years

>> No.597621

>>597498
It's no that exterior-grade paint isn't made for exterior applications, it's that it won't:

>completely seal off a board from moisture

So again, reading difficulties?

So like you don't see exterior trim made from MDF, trusting to the weather-beating properties of the coatings now do we?

>> No.597742

>>597621
You're confusing OSB with mdf. Two different building products. Op is using OSB
And yes, exterior paint will completely seal off the material from the elements for one year.
That's what its made for.
>exterior

>> No.597792

>>597096
best thing to coat it in is a 50/50 solution of PVA and water all over, then sand it and recoat it. Then paint it using an oil based undercoat paint followed by two layers of top coat and then varnish it using a paint sealant lacquer

>> No.598177

>>597742
Dude, I've seen exterior paint fail after a single exposure to rain. It's not even the paint that has to fail, a thin spot or void or pinhole and * bingo * the OSB gets wet and begins to delaminate.

But anyway, OP has his solution so I'm done here.

>> No.598294

>>598177
>Dude, I've seen exterior paint fail after a single exposure to rain
lol no you haven't.
>It's not even the paint that has to fail, a thin spot or void or pinhole and * bingo * the OSB gets wet and begins to delaminate.
The same can be said for any coating.

>> No.599007

OP again guys. JUST KEEPING YOU ALL UPDATED ON THIS MARVELOUS PROJECT.

It's not even that exciting. I went and got myself a 4L (roughly more than a gallon I think) of Creosote, made from coal tar.

Or it is coal tar. Who cares. Google's you're friend as well as mine.

The stuff stinks and i've only done 1 coating of the inside of the box. By the looks of it, this thread will be here when i've done a full coat around the entire box, i'll post a picture, then we'll see what happens as we start to enter autumn then winter in May.

Who knows, I might finally answer the great question that has been plaguing /diy/ for years.

"Will Creosote actually prevent OSB/MDF/Particleboard/doesanybodyknowwhatthisboxismadeoutof from damage when placed outside in the harsh weather of sub-tropical new zealand"

Gosh i'm getting so excited, I can't wait to breathe in the fumes of creosote as I paint the outside of the box!!

Also christ is creosote expensive. 70$ for 4L.

>> No.599009

>>599007
I wish I could edit my idiocy of "you're" but fuckit.

>> No.599013

mix creosote with some old engine oil about 20%... an old trick..... but maybe creosote anyway will cause delamination of the strands in the osb

>> No.599017

>>599007
Isn't creosote's point to prevent rotting?
I thought the main problem with particle board & co. is that it swells and then disintegrates if it gets water.

>> No.599034

>>599007
You went to Bunnings or Mitre10 and paid $70 on creosote?
You do realise that Carters or ITM could have sold you enough proper timber to do the job right for less than that?
Find a mate who is knocking down a macrocarpa and get some of that milled to size. Ground safe, doesn't need treating, no nasty chemicals in anything you grow in it
>btw, don't grow veges in a planter treated with creosote.

>> No.599372

>>599034
Mitre 10, shamefully yes I did.

Is timber really that cheap?

Fukkit. I feel like an idiot but I'm shit at wood work. Gay.

>> No.599710

>>597096
I'm not sure that your plan to weather proof this material is practical. Good luck.

However I'd like to mention something I've seen people do for cheap, easily fabricated raised bed gardens: cement board.

Cheap, easy to cut, relatively inert, if a little 'floppy' (just use plenty of stakes or such to support the walls).