[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 136 KB, 979x577, jOB.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
594940 No.594940 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/,

So I have taken so much from this section of the chan without giving very little back. Now is my chance to give something back to this community.

I currently work in the mining, oil and gas sector as a communications technician. I am here to answer any of your questions, no matter how silly you may think they are, about communications.

Pic related.

>> No.594945

What kind of comms?

HF, VHF, UHF, or microwave?

Or hardline stuff?

>> No.594948

>>594945
All man. I currently run Microwave data and ROIP links in conjunction with solar repeater trailers at the site I am working at.

I have worked with tetra, DMR, Analogue, lots more.

>> No.594950

>>594948
You should hook me up with some 1/2" Heliax with type-N connectors. I'm in Michigan.

Not gonna lie, I'm almost exclusively a Yaesu / Vertex guy.

Extreme low band stuff is my favorite. I'm really excited that the United States may be opening up 600meter band to amateurs (~500 khz)!

Microwave is really interesting to me, but the circuit design is really unforgiving, and commercial equipment isn't really cheaply available as surplus yet. I would love to see more experimentation on 5 ghz+.

Primaries:
Yaesu FT101EE - HF
Yaesu FT2600m - VHF-FM
Vertex FTL-7011 - UHF-FM

Handhelds:
Yaesu FT270r
Baofeng UV8r
Puxing PX888 (I have a couple programmed for FRS/GMRS...lol)

>> No.594960

>>594950
HAHAHA, do you know a guy called Peter Brennan?. He is the Vertex guy for Australia. Really nice bloke.

Yaesu, havnt really dealt with this stuff to be honest. I know they do offer dual band likeBaofeng though.

Baofeng, Same deal. I have used Baofengs before though. It is a trusty little bitch if you know what your doing. I.e. Trying to find a pl/ctcss tone of somebody's repeater. I have one handy in my tool bag all the time.

As for microwave, we use it for data on site, but sometimes we avoid it if we can used fibre. Microwave has a great data rate, however being really remote we rely on solar power so it chews through the power. I wish I had photo's of the 95 KW solar panels we use at one of our sites. it's like a sea of solar panels.

I have rolls of 1/2" heliax too. and a shitload of n-type connectors. I basically have a disposable sum of money to spend on communications at work.

It's also great to see another radio man on the chan. Dont be afraid of microwave. It's IP based at a higer fx.

>Isnt Michigan where "Boomsticks" come from?.

>> No.594961

>>594950
Oh, by the way, incase you didnt know, Vertex is made in the same factory as Motorola. It just doesnt have the same support or infrastructure.
My friend Peter showed me photo's from the factory a while back. Really good product.

I am actually surprised it is commercially available it is that good.

>> No.594975

>>594940
what do you think of ubiquities airfiber

also motorola is kinda out of that business, sold off to cambium

Ever deal with saf or dragonwave or trango or remic?

>> No.594990

>>594975
Cambium netwroks is alright I guess.

Motorola has always been the "bench mark" for commerical radios.

Only time will tell with the rest.
Airfibre, trango remice...

Please look at it from a consumers point of view. Yes they do offer a great product. Brilliant product in-fact. However fisability over cost is not effective.

look at it from a resources industry perspective; cost vs plant running time.

It's just not worth it at the end of the day.

Companies, i.e. BHP Petroleum, Conoco Phillips, they want, literally, Data, and the ability to talk from point A to point B.

These are great products, dont get me wrong, however they fall into the Tetra bracket.

"Too expensive for the minimalist needs".

Do you catch my drift?. Please let me know if you require further clarification.

>In other words, if a consumer could spend millions of dollars on their radios and networks, to last 20+ years, they would pay for them. cunsumers are looking for the cheapest, most reliable networks in the long run.

>> No.595008
File: 28 KB, 342x253, 3dpattern.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>594990
Proven for total bullshit.

I work in the industry and at best you're a low level tech that doesn't get to make purchasing decisions.

>Cambium networks is alright I guess.
Motorola sold this division to venture capitalist who renamed it to Cambium. Some of the best product developers quit and went to ubiquity. I know some of them personally.

Motorola is targeting the lower end of the price point with stuff like the epmp.

Ubiquity is in a price war 1.4 gbps @2-5 miles for $2.5k unlicensed 24 gig
Or 3-7 mile 200 mbps (aggregate but selectable) for $200 with NanoBeam.

Also wireless beehive has some sweet dishes that are interoperable with pretty much any odu.

>> No.595011
File: 259 KB, 956x913, confrence.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>594990
was there this week with these folks