[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 154 KB, 1600x1200, salisbury.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
593980 No.593980 [Reply] [Original]

Will these isolate my body from electrical shock at it's rated voltage of 1000vac? Can I touch the live conductor with my hand without rubber boots? Will be doing some electrical work and don't want to die, thanks in advance diy

>> No.593997

>>593980
What kind of electrical work?

Why not just turn the power off?

Why have rubber gloves as your ONLY protection between you and 1000v, yeah they should protect you provided they're in A1 condition, just dont get a pinhole in them while working

Personally i'd rather have more protection than a pair of rubber gloves working with 1000v

>> No.594000

>>593980

As long as its below its rating and you only touch the wires with your gloves you will be fine. If you fuck it up and get killed be sure to come back and tell us what you did wrong.

>> No.594001

in my AC fund. class, we learned that insulators dont isolate, only RESIST. stand on some wood also while you work.

>> No.594003

Thanks guys, so its a mixed verdict on whether or not this will actually work, I'm working on HVDC and the manufacturer states they are good for up 1500dc and 1000ac so I guess my next purchase will have to be insulating shoes to be doubly sure. Thanks again diy for your help, your little gems of knowledge are always appreciated.

>> No.594028

>>594003
Why are you working on live HVDC?

>> No.594035

>>594001
Your instructor is teaching it wrong then. If no current flows, insulators act as insulators. If current flows then insulators act as a resistance. But at that point, the insulator is already breaking down.

>> No.594093

>>594028
Yeah, why is someone who doesn't know how to work safely on HVDC working on HVDC? That's not the sort of thing you'd expect to see an amateur doing.

Not stealing cable by any chance now are we, OP?

>> No.594096

>>593980
Ok you are one step closer to your death if you think those will do the trick. Working with live lines requires a set of tools and skills that doing yourself will get you killed. Isolated boots will help, weather conditions is a factor to consider. And get proper leather isolated globes. Without training you may want to update your will.

>> No.594099

Do not forget that you are working with wires which can be sharp enough to penetrate the gloves.
I suggest you to wear a full BDSM latex suit

>> No.594131
File: 17 KB, 320x200, zentai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>594099
it's called a zentai

>> No.594138

You're supposed to have aset of matching leather gloves and cotton liners. Use one hand
. Don't fuck it up. Do you know how to test the insulating gloves? Are they expired?

>> No.594701

OP, you should watch an electrical company lineman work on a line. They wear gloves much better than these but only when the power is OFF and the line is grounded.
They work on hot wires using non-conducting poles and other safety tools and wearing insulating gloves.
It's your life, throw it away if you want.

>> No.594713

>>593980
Why cant you turn the power off?