[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 24 KB, 560x280, metal-dust-test.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
591927 No.591927 [Reply] [Original]

So I have accumulated some sheetrock dust, cement particulates, sawdust, etc.. among other things in my 18v cordless drills, saws, etc.

This obviously lessens the life of the tool and I wish to clean the housing, triggers, etc. I know a can of compressed air like the ones used for keyboards and such can get some of the bigger stuff out of the motor housing, but what of cleaning/lubricating/oiling it to maximize its life?

I heard a CRC cleaner used by auto-mechanics for spark plugs, terminal connections and such might do the trick, but i'd thought I'd ask the experts here.

Whats a good way to clean cordless tools thoroughly?

>> No.591933

Just throwing this out there...but since mineral oil is non-conductive...couldn't you just soak it in that?

>> No.591938

OP is too chickenshit to open up the drill.
grow some balls, dude, these days they make 'em very simple to take apart, and put back together.

>> No.592000

>>591927
I just open mine up and use the air compressor gun on it with a stiff paint brush to agitate things.

>>591933
That is a bad idea. You'll screw up everything from bearings to brushes depending on how it is made. They are not meant to come in contact with liquids like that, dielectric or not.

>> No.592005

>>591927
i would stick with the air, electrical contact cleaner will loosen up the dirt but it evaporates quickly and unless you open it up to wipe it off after you spray it it will just dry on back in the same place.

if you are prepared to open it give it a compressed air/hoover and then go at it with contact cleaner and an old rag.

>> No.592011

>>592005
It might also strip off the enamel on the motor wires, which wouldn't be a good thing at all.

>> No.592038

>>592011
oh really? contact cleaner? wow i'll have to check this.
I used it on a MAF sensor and i dont think its enamel coated or anything but if you touch it its fucked. I wouldn't have thought twice about it stripping enamel...

>> No.592040

Heptane is safe for electronics and sublimates without leaving a residue.

Do it in a well ventilated area. It is derived from benzene and causes cancer.

>> No.592058

I had bad experience with compressed air. Did a good job with some quick sprays. It was ancient though and had never been cleaned. Kept spraying it until something jammed or shorted in the motor. I saw some burn maris on the windings? So maybe it exacerbated an existing problem. Had to clean everything out, windings seemed okay, cleaned them and put some clear nail polish on them.

>> No.592312

>>592058

clear nail polish on the windings does the trick?

>> No.592362

>>592312
if its only the visible winding and it didn't penetrate at all. No idea how long it will last either.

>> No.592535

>>591927
theres such a thing as electronic parts cleaner that is sold for mechanics to use on such things as plugs and alternators..id assume it would be safe for ur issue

>> No.592539

>>592312
I've used it for touch ups on exposed and scuff windings and to thicken it up to prevent future problems.