[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 38 KB, 800x643, 1389812782596.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
583153 No.583153 [Reply] [Original]

Why is Torx so popular? I see it everywhere now, even in the most mundane applications. Do you use Torx in any of your projects?

>> No.583161

It's so popular cause it's pleb-proof. Your average customer isn't going to have a torx screwdriver and thus isn't going to be opening up your thing.

Plus torx is just easier to turn because it guides the screwdriver straight in, unlike a phillips or especially a flathead which have a tendency to bend your screwdriver if you apply any kind of force, in my experience.

>> No.583162

>>583153

The reason the Phillips head screw was used for so long was because early assembly line power drivers didn't have any kind of torque adjustment and they would damage stuff by driving the screw too far if the operator made a mistake. Phillips heads strip out before you damage the goods, saving money. Later, power drivers developed torque adjustment abilities and the Phillips was no longer needed, but habit and costs has kept the Phillips in use on many assemble lines. With the cost of Torx and other non-stripping screw heads coming down in price they have appeared in all kinds of things.

>> No.583164

>>583162

>non-stripping
>[citation needed]

Although I might just be rather bitter because I work on vehicles,and some makers like to use them in applications where they REALLY don't work.

Nothing like giant torx head bolts in weird positions that are also rusted!

>> No.583166

>>583153
Torx is more resistant to cam-out than its pictured counterpart, hex. Per the name, it also allows for more torque to be applied because of increased surface area.

>> No.583199

Because philips (and other cross cut) and straight ones is shit! Utter shit.
I never use anything else than torx or hex socket.

Mech.eng.

>> No.583201

>>583164
I've stripped Phillips heads before. But probably it will transmit less torque so it's less likely to damage whatever you're holding together.

>> No.583202

Derailing this fine conversation, I have to change an idler pulley. But my Allan key doesn't get enough purchase on the seized bolt cos it's only short.

If I get an Allan key socket set and put a shitload of leverage on this, what are my chances of Breaking the head off vs getting it out?

Bear in mind the reason I'm changing it is the bearing disintegrated due to saltwater

>> No.583205

>>583202
>seized bol
Use de-ruster first. Then do what you said.

>> No.583209

I like using wood screws that are torx, really cuts down on the bit slipping around and jumping out.

I hate them for any machine or metal applications. They dont work well with any amount of decent torque on them. If they rust in there also, you're pretty much fucked as they strip very easily. That said, they're still better than a Philips head in that respect.

>> No.583225
File: 302 KB, 1596x1192, 1389825012818.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I use mostly Robertson heads, the square hole bits.

Everything else seems to cam out worse than those and when anything else cams out, they are usually ruined. Flathead is the best for not camming out, but it always slides out the side half the time you are manipulating things. The best part of flathead is that all the other heads can become a flathead in a few seconds if you need them to.

>> No.583241

>>583225
>but it always slides out the side half the time you are manipulating things

Or just outright ruins the slot.

>> No.583244

>>583209
>I like using wood screws that are torx, really cuts down on the bit slipping around and jumping out.

That called "cam out" or "camming out", when the bit pushes itself up and back out of the screwhead.

I recently bought some lovley pozi-driv bits made by a company called Wera (no idea if that's a brand available in the US, but if not I'm sure other companies make a similar thing). They're made from an exceptionally hard alloy - I want to say titanium, but I don't think that's it - to prevent the bit from deforming, and the business end of the bit has a layer of diamond dust bonded on to it, which bites in to the screw recess and prevents slippage. Even when you're upside down under a kitchen cabinet, straining your neck reaching up for that screw you cant quite reach and you know full well it's not seated properly, they still have enough bite to go all the way in first time. After using them at work for a week I'd be reluctant to go back to anything else.

The only downside to them is the cost. The "regular" ones are about £10 each (or the price of perhaps 20 ordinary screw driving bits), and the toughened ones to use in the impact driver are close to £20 a go. It's worth the cost in terms of improved performance, and they do last a hell of a lot longer than normal bits, it's just a real bastard if you happen to loose one.

They're also sub-optimal for use with cheapo screws, particularly if using the impact driver. The builders merchants sent me a sample pack of their own brand woodscrews (I usually use Spax, they're about the best woodscrew money can buy). Decided to drive half a dozen 3" #10's in to a 4x2 turned edgeways. Got one in so the head was just under the timber, one head snapped off as it touched the timber, and the other 4 had the heads shear off whilst there was still a good inch of thread yet to drive in.

>> No.583247

>>583202
insert hex key, push pipe down end of hex key, you now have super long hex key.

>>583209
you're using shitty bolts. the driving profile has 0 affect on the chemical properties of the bolt. you need to use marine grade stainless steel bolts if you're having problems with rust.

>>583225
robertson is great for high torque bolts.

>>583153
phillips was invented so that the driver would cam out of the slot, destroying the driving bit before destroying the bolt profile and is self centering so was used in assembly lines.

torx is fantastic for small items that need specific torque like mobile phones or consoles. not enough, the bolt comes out shorting out the appliance, too much and you crack the pcb/shave off the mask. it's easy for machines to assembly using torx and they dont cam out. the driving bit fits the bolt profile perfectly unlike flathead or phillips which have too much play.

>> No.583874

>>583202
Use the deruster, but also consider heating the pulley with a torch first. Light tapping while applying torque may help.

>> No.583905

>>583162
>Torx and other non-stripping screw heads
Hahahahahhhahahah
The only kind of screw I have encounter that dose not strip is flat head and they suck in their own ways.

>> No.583916

its a jew scam in order to get you to buy new bits that you dont need

i call them the star of David bits

i just bought some actually, in order to access my angle grinder gear box to add grease

the bits were machined poorly , not happy

>> No.583918

>>583202
Some idler pulley bolts are reverse thread.

>> No.583931

I fucking love torx. Had a KTM Duke that was mostly torx and working on it was glorious.

>> No.583981

How many of you own Torx bits?

>> No.583997

>>583981
they come in almost every bit kit you get nowadays

>> No.584011

>>583981
IIRC torx is also designed to be compatible with hex, so if your screws aren't particularly tight, you can use allen wrenches to open them.

>> No.584023

>>583981
Have a precision set (T4 to like T10), very useful for small mechanical/electronic things. They have really distinct advantages, though 95% of the time they're just to keep normalfags from fucking with products

>> No.584898
File: 500 KB, 1280x960, 1390107935054.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>583981
I'm a big fan of this computer repair kit I got for christmas 2 years ago. It has just about every bit I need besides proprietary nintendo bits like tri-wing.

>> No.584925

machinist here.
phillips = self-centering
torx = greater torque

IMO hex has better aesthetics than either.

>> No.584938
File: 7 KB, 225x225, 1390115428069.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2014
>still using the crosstip jew
>not using master race Hitler bits

good goys

>> No.584966

>>584925

I love this dudes sarcasm man

>> No.584971

>>584898
Aw yeah, baby. $4 at Microcenter and the bits are actually quite decent. I buy one every time I'm whether I need a restock or not.

>> No.584995

>>583199
electrical anginegro here. i've been asking myself this question FOREVER! why are manufacturers or people STILL using flat head or phillips? if i had the power to change errything, errything would use torx from the tiniest screw to the bigger (this includes reverse torx)

>> No.585002

I usually buy screws individually by weight for woodworking. They have all been torx now for years in Finland. It's becoming harder and harder to even find other kinds of screws.

>> No.585031

i hate torx! They should burn in hell.