[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 33 KB, 300x300, 1389431651937.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
580832 No.580832 [Reply] [Original]

I am planning on setting up a shack for anons to spend a night or two in on their way to other places.

I plan to just use a cheap steel shed, spray foam insulation inside, basic cot and chair, simple solar panel and LED lighting inside.

Thoughts on what else I should do? Trying to keep total costs below $1,000 USD just in case people are trolls and wreck shit. Sheds currently looking at are around 10 feet x 10 feet and $300

pic related

>> No.580837

I think the hardest part for me to deal with in terms of insulating is the sliding doors on most of these sheds

ideas?

>> No.580844

Ventilation
If people are sleeping in it and it's insulated it's going to smell like bear ass. Put closeable vent covers, high and opposite side low like venting a PC.

>> No.580850

>>580844
Hmm I'm using the foam insulation to keep it cool in summer and warm in winter, if I intentionally add in vents for air flow won't that be reverse of what I'm trying to do with insulation?

>> No.580864

>>580850
you could use some sort of heat exchanger like this anon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation#Air_to_air_heat_exchanger
just get a decent size pipe, and put another metal pipe inside it, and seal the ends. force air into the outer pipe, then into the shed, and force air from inside the shed through the inner pipe. you could improve performance with fins, or maybe stainless steel scrubbers packed inside both pipes to aid in heat transfer. also, you'd want a layer of insulation around the outer pipe to lessen energy loss further

>> No.580865

I think solar is likely out of your budget, and much more of a hassle than just running an extension cord out there.

>>580837
Foam board insulation. It's probably be easier to have a batting curtain behind them, though.

>> No.580871

>>580865
Hi truckerfag long time no see

Also when I say solar I mean, like USB solar + battery style
http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-trade-Apollo-Portable-USB-charged/dp/B00DLUYSPO

Just enough for a light and something for the anons to charge phone with

>> No.580873

>>580864
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation#Air_to_air_heat_exchanger
That looks really good, thank you so much

I'll have to figure out which one will work the best for the shed I think

>> No.581067

I've been trying to research Insulative Paint as well but haven't been able to find any seemingly reliable brands.

Is the best I can do just painting it the brightest longest lasting white possible?

>> No.581115

>>580850
That's why they're closeable obviously, and actually they're called registers. Having only one door will not be able to ventilate the inside.

>> No.581565

>>580832
>>580865

Avoid foam. Fire hazard, and chemical off-gassing in an enclosed space.

Try and get "rock wool board" of some brand. Sometimes you can get it with a finished lining on one side, too.

>> No.581644
File: 26 KB, 226x282, 1389563773496.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

don't forget to insulate the floor too! A cold floor will ruin all the effort you made for your guests.

>> No.581659

>>581644
Ha yeah I was planning on insulating the floor as well.

>>581565
I read that the off-gassing is only an issue when initially applied. Anyway foam seems the best option for closing up the tons of air gaps in these cheap sheds.

>> No.581886

I read that spray on foam insulation also increases structural strength

>> No.582024

The Pros to using spray foam are
1. Control over R value. Since you can apply multiple passes you can insulate whatever size cavity you are working on. So irregular cavities can get full application when doing the same space with batts wouldn't be possible.
2. No gaps or cavities in applied area. Batts can't accomplish this easily if you have irregular joist spacing (undersized or oversized).
3. You need to insulate a ton of space in a short amount of time.

The Cons to using spray foam are.
1. Electrical and plumbing runs have to be completed and tested prior to application of the insulation.
2. If going under drywall the spray foam has to be cut back and leveled to match the stud depth.
3. Coming back to work in a wall that has been spray-foam insulated is a huge pain.

I personally would not be interested in using it in my home because of Con #3

OP, you're going to be dumping a huge amount of effort into trying to make a steel shed a slightly livable space. Aside from watershedding they don't have ANY of the features that make for a comfortable environment. It will have holes instead of soffits, it won't have a roof vent, the door isn't intended to be used for frequently being opened and closed, and it offers no mass for insulation from exterior noise.

A treehouse built out of plywood and 2x4s with a corrugated steel or plastic roof would be more comfortable.

>> No.582249

>>582024
>>582024
>A treehouse built out of plywood and 2x4s with a corrugated steel or plastic roof would be more comfortable.

What concerns me about that is cost and actually the time and effort in constructing it. This building isn't really intended for longterm habitation anyway, and is not being made for that sort of comfort either.

>>582024
>3. Coming back to work in a wall that has been spray-foam insulated is a huge pain.
I was wondering about this myself some, I think what I might end up doing is just an initial layer with the spray foam to seal all the airholes and unevern space along the side of the shed and then apply a more typical insulation coat.

>> No.582461

>>580832
Anon where do you live? If it's for a night or two why to use insulation?

>> No.582463

>>580832
>kidnaps anons
>raep time
>butt fucking fest in 12 toed alabama

>> No.582484
File: 136 KB, 500x280, 1389711896514.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>580832
MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON LEVEL GROUND

>> No.582646

>>582461
CO, but I also own small plots of land in NM KS and TX that if this seems to work ok with I'll setup more tiny sheds there

>>582484
Yeah I know to make sure it's on level ground and to insulate the floor as well