[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 316 KB, 1360x768, 1388705679652.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
576423 No.576423 [Reply] [Original]

My family have bought 20 acres on a nearly deserted island to turn into a 100% self sufficient land if war a natural disaster or some sort of plague or apocalypse occurs. We live in a fairly small town of Australia that is no target for enemy's but we don't want to take the chance and living on an island will be much more secure.
What do we need to be 100% self sufficient?
Livestock, etc
And how are you preparing for the next war?

>> No.576434

You need guns to defend yourselves and your property from the starving hordes.

Oh, wait! You're in Australia. Can't have any, wouldn't be nice. Sucks to be you!!!

Love, /k/

>> No.576435

well we all die eventually so i plan on not giving a shit if some catastrophe occurs becauseit is easier to deal with that way

noooo streesssss no worryyy wooooo

>> No.576446

>>576423
well I'm fucked then, without my meds which can only be made with high technology requiring a large industrial base, I'm dead

>> No.576447

Lone survival fortresses are retarded fantasies. Good to prep and all that, but more than half your time should be community involvement.

>> No.576498

How far away do you live from it?

How many people does it need to support?

>> No.576505

>>576423
>100% self sufficient land if war a natural disaster or some sort of plague or apocalypse occurs
Assuming I even believed you, which I don't, unless you have your own private army on the island and have a huge stockpile of weapons and ammunition, you're not going to keep your little island getaway in the event of war or the collapse of civilization, as soon as people realize what you have they'll come to take it from you, and once your shithole government discovers you're building a "compound" for your little survivalist faction, they'll send the military in to get you anyway.

>> No.576528

oh fuck me, it's spread here as well. ww3 could happen at any time OP. to be safe, you and your inbred family should start living on the island now.

>> No.576529

>>576423

100% self sufficient ok...
energy generation, i would advise focusing on either tidal or solar energies, with a massive battery storage area.
regarding food, i wouldn't farm livestock. you are on an island so fish should be your main source of protein, and look into gathering other food sources from sea (seaweed). other plant foods should be grown where applicable(inside or outside)
also http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water_quality/quality1/1-make-seawater-drinkable.htm or a rain collection system, depends how often it rains.

aside from:
food/water/energy
you will just need shelter and to be able to fix things that break.

>> No.576530

Okay, well, once global warming starts to melt the ice caps and the sea levels raise is your island still gonna be an island? Or will it be a shallow atoll thats 6 inches under water?

>> No.577263
File: 732 KB, 900x2793, 1388823615400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Obligatory

>> No.577273

>>576505
Agreed, not to be "that guy," but people who separate themselves from the people in power are generally not separate for very long.

I also doubt you can own an island either in International Waters. I don't know how it works though so meh.