[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 83 KB, 640x480, DSC_0031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5710 No.5710 [Reply] [Original]

Looking for some good electronics books and tutorials. I just hooked up two (two!) LEDs to a battery using my EXPERT SKILLS.

Also ITT: breadboards, electronics, projects you're working on, etc.

>> No.5738
File: 1.03 MB, 2848x2134, 102_0138.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dude u need some resistors in that bitch ur gona fuck up dem light emitting diodes!

>> No.5735

I got into it through not being able to afford guitar pedals when I was 14/15 so I started by building my own. That might be a good way to get into it.

>> No.5742

Look for the Evil Genius series of manuals for specific types of electronic projects. Any /t/ or /rs/ search should do it.

Id provide, I don't know how.

>> No.5777

>>5735
hey dude I posted a couple of questions for you in another thread!

>> No.5794

also im taking avionics in school right now (airplane electronics) and i just got into that stuff like a week ago, youtube has some great stuff, ma teacher shows vid from there. u learn alot. u should look up "Radio Shack Electronics Lab" on youtube and see the cool stuff u can do. its around 60-70 i think, so its a good thing to ask for xmas. - dog pic guy

>> No.5870

HARRY POTTER!!! The boy who lived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

>> No.5901

forrest mims - getting started in electronics

>> No.5931

>>5738
NIGGER YOU BLIND?

>> No.5932

>not current limiting your led's

HOW

>> No.6057

>>5738
>>5932
There's a resistor on the left.

>> No.6120

I've just finished up a basic dual strobe light with Xenon tubes. Simple stuff.

>> No.6325

How much resistance does that resistor need to provide? I've fucked up LEDs before by not adding it

>> No.6362
File: 45 KB, 640x379, lab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished soldering together my little oscilloscope kit. I derped in one spot with the desoldering wick and tore up a pad (lol SMD).

>> No.6369

>>6325
find what the data sheet recommends for current on the led's and use ohms law with that current and the power supply voltage

>> No.6409

Was tinkering about trying to make an audio amplifier from some transistors as my mp3 player is craptacular.

Although i've had enough and will be chilling out with a beer and some vidya

>> No.6419

>>6325
Step 1: Find out the current limit on your diode (E.g. 500 mA).

Step 2: Use Ohm's Law to figure out the resistor value, R=V/I
Step 2a: V is your power source voltage minus your diode voltage, which is often 7. It doesn't hurt to assume that V is just your power source voltage
Step 2b: I is obviously your diode max current.
Step 2c: In this case it's 9V/500mA = 1.8kOhm.

>>6362
Hand-soldering SMD is a bitch. Totally doable once you've gotten over your fear of fucking up the tiny components, but a bitch nonetheless.

>> No.6433

>>6419
Yeah I only had trouble when I was soldering the crystal on, the fucking pads are underneath. I think I'll be using hot air and a finer tipped soldering iron in the future.

>> No.6442

>>6419
.7 V*

>> No.6484

"Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics" by Gibilisco is a pretty comprehensive book. Get it.

A good rule of thumb for an LED circuit is 220 ohm resistors.

Support your local hackerspace, they'll teach you all kinds of things. www.hackerspaces.org

>> No.6549

>>6433
> Under-Component Pads

Ought to be a god damn law :(
If the component isn't heat-sensitive, a way to do it is to put (a tiny bit of) solder on the pad ahead of time, place the component down and heat the pad by applying the soldering iron to the side of the component leg - the heat will travel down the leg and into the solder, melting it. Unfortunately it will ALSO travel UP the leg, heating the component, so be careful with this method.
>>6442
> 7 to 0.7 V
God what a stupid mistake. Thanks for catching that.

>> No.6577

I thought it was awesome when i found out you can do sensitive SMD soldering by putting paste on the top pad, having a fuck ton of via's running to a bottom pad and heating the bottom pad either with a soldering iron or with a hot plate

(if the bottom plane is a ground plane it needs thermal connections to the ground plane)

>> No.6917

Thank you bros, now I'd like to ask something further... how plausible is it to add an ON LED indicator on a usb device that doesn't have one, without fucking up the device or the computer?

>> No.6948

The Free Information Society has a lot of pdfs on electronics here: http://freeinfosociety.com/media_index.php?cat=6&subcat=54&start=0
There's also a lot of free books at http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/