[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 45 KB, 600x406, emp11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
561515 No.561515 [Reply] [Original]

Hey DIY, I'm here with a question that bakes my noodle. Was pondering the thought in class yesterday and wondered, "just what would an EMP - Electromagnetic Pulse fry?" To any man who reads this would say everything, but im curious as to the more basic parts such as

Resistors - I don't believe an EMP would ruin a resistor

Capacitors - I don't believe an EMP would ruin this either, but would it clear the charge it held?

Battery - Would an EMP destroy a raw battery? AAA to D-cell battery or a Lead acid 12v car battery

IC - Would an EMP destroy an IC chip? or would it just clear any info on the chip?

Speakers - Would an EMP do anything to speaker cones?

Diodes - I don't believe an EMP would do anything to a diode

Stepper motor - Would an EMP ruin a stepper motor, or only if it had a circuit of some sort

Transistor - Would an EMP ruin a transistor or depends on what kind

P.S. On a side note, if my question prove unworthy of your attention, I heard an interesting rumor in some forums about a company that is building a chip that spiders into a circuit board and when hit with an EMP it absorbs the charge and then abates it as a random signal, but they did not mention what kind of signal or when they would finish

>> No.561531

>>561515
You didn't say anything about the pulse itself. Your question is like asking if it's possible to lift various weights. Without knowing what it means to lift something.
That forum rumor sounds like a transient voltage suppressor after being discussed by a bunch of global rule 2 violators.

>> No.561533

>>561515
do you understand what an emp is?
an electro-magnetic pulse will induce current through components as the wave passes through.

an emp could in theory induce enough current to exceed the power rating of a resistor. if the rating was grossly exceeded it could be destroyed.

an emp could induce enough current to exceed the storage capacity of a capacitor, again in extreme circumstances the capacitor could explode due to the excessive charge driven into it.

an emp could destroy an ic, or it could simply induce enough current in various areas of the chip to altering the logic states of the internal gates. this requires much less power than destroying components and is why when you see people turning off computers to avoid emp effects on tv.

an emp could excite a speaker, the emp wave may be audible depending on its properties, or it could blow the coil.

an emp could destroy a diode under the right circumstances if enough power was dissipated by the diode to exceed its ratings.

an emp could ruin a stepper if it induced enough current through the coils

yes a transistor could be destroyed, again it depends on what current the emp induces and the transistor rating.

hardened components that go into space have to withstand em pulses that the sun emits, usually unprotected ic's ge their bits flipped and the system crashes.

>> No.561596

I do apologize for the endless variables I left out. When this idea went through my head I was thinking of an EMP produced by a nuclear bomb. Which if you will forgive me, I do not have the statics for

And as irony would have it, my friend is playing CoD modern warfare 2, just after the nuclear bomb detonated scene lol

>> No.561621

>>561515
Practically speaking, ICs and transistors. If you have to deal with an EMP capable of taking out a stepper motor, you have bigger problems than an EMP.

>> No.561632

>>561515
>>>/sci/

>> No.561736

>>561533
this bro has it right.

basically you are looking at how vulnerable is your circuit to induced currents from the EMP. If the circuit already has problems with general electrical noise, then your circuit is extremely vulnerable to an EMP. The same way to protect from EMPs is the same way to protect from noise except on steroids. Your circuit must be rated for high enough wattage not just current because wattage is what determines the heat dissipation from that component. If the component heats up too much it melts or blows up. Also the capacitors must be protected from high induced voltages that will breakdown the dielectric and with high enough current blow it up. So some other ways to protect the circuit is to make a faraday cage around it, and using ferromagnets (same ones at the end of your monitor display DVI/HDMI/VGA connector, and hell even twisting the excess wires around each other. The best way to protect it in my opinion is to make a faraday cage. If it needs an input output, make a small hole in the cage or container and put a fuse on all the wires in and out.

The faraday cage exploits the fact that in any hollow conductor the electric field inside is zero. The electrons in the conductor arrange themselves on the surfaces of the conductor in a way that results in a constant electric potential in the conductor.

>> No.561951

Would an EMP destroy a battery, like I said, a AAA, AA, 9volt, D-cell or a 12v lead acid car battery?

>> No.561954

>>561951
no

>> No.561956

How would you protect electronics from an emp, such as phones or small homemade circuits?

>> No.561957

>>561956
Or a cars electrical system?

>> No.561963

>>561956
http://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/EMP.protection.html

>> No.561970

>>561963
So basically put it in a microwave?

>> No.561986

>>561970
A cardboard box lined with aluminum foil will also work.

>> No.562015

At EMP is nothing more than a high microvolt surge at low amperes.

ICs and transistors are most susceptible since they operate at low voltages.

Pure analog electronics, or vacuum tube based electronics are unaffected.

>> No.562040

Related:

http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2011/10/what-is-the-deal-with-those-fema-dhs-am-backup-transmitters/#comments

>> No.562211
File: 79 KB, 596x885, emp.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>562015
Might want to verify your units about microvolt part.
http://williamson-labs.com/480_emp.htm#top

All I can see is tens of kV/m E fields which are orders of magnitude higher.

>> No.562248

>>562015
If your radio is connected to an antenna without any protection, even your tube equipment might get damaged.
There's a QST article about the topic, if you're interested. It includes tests with an EMP simulator.

>> No.562279

>>561596

Why is that ironic?

>> No.562291

>>561986

Will a desktop computer's case protect the internals if it was unplugged?

>> No.562322

Its ironic to me because I post the EMP question and then while I'm doing it, my friend is playing the game and has reached that scene, that's some irony right there. But I digress, on to another question...

If an EMP would not damage or ruin a battery, could it 1 - Recharge or partially charge a dead battery? and 2 - If it wouldn't damage a battery would it disrupt the flow of electricity

Or didn't someone say before that its "high microvolt surge at low amperes" so it would add electrical current to a circuit, thus overloading it...so I suppose I'm answering my own questions...hmm...

>> No.562323

>>562291
unless you have one of those faggy ones with a big acryllic cutout in it.

>> No.562324

>>562322
I don't think it could charge a battery of any kind. You need a DC current for that, which EMP does not induct

>> No.562602

>>562322
That "high microvolt surge at low amperes" is BS. See >>562211 Learn to read!

Don't think you want to charge batteries with a few thousands volts of electricity in microseconds.

>> No.562718

>>562291
as long as the internals aren't grounded to the case it should.
>>561957
the newer the car the harder it is. it would almost impossible to protect newer cars electronics simply because it has so much and you would have to really just redesign a whole new car. As for older cars with very little micro electronics or a simply engine computer. You might be able to cover the vulnerable part with foil and use snuffers on all the wires.
>>562322
it won't do shit to a battery. its not even a closed circuit. it needs a closed circuit that has a part of it that can act as a microwave antenna. microchips are great for this.

>> No.562727

I heard that copper shielding helps prevent the EMP waves from affecting whatever electric or electronic device would be contained inside, is this true or just a myth?

>> No.562836

>>562718
it doesn't do shit to a modern car either. There is a test I can't be bothered to lookup. The worst thing that happened in like 2/50 cases was the car stopped running if it was on. Restarting it normally fixed itm