[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 57 KB, 960x720, 1002022_10202477340284270_146328322_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
551418 No.551418 [Reply] [Original]

I fell on my bike and now the one of the brake pads (left on the image) is always pressing against the wheel while the other brake pad still works fine.

I've looked on Google and have toiled at this thing for a few hours, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it.

Can you see any things wrong with my brake system from the photo?

>> No.551433
File: 874 KB, 960x720, dsdssds.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551418
A quick fix is to tighten this screw

Tighten it slowly as you ease on and off your front brake.

also loosening the other side will have the same effect.

>> No.551434

Unbolt the cable.

Do both calipers move freely?

>> No.551437

>>551418
Loosen front wheel
Reseat in dropouts
Tighten front wheel

>> No.551439
File: 165 KB, 352x341, 1379038364137.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This type of brakes is always finicky like that. Your cable adjustments are gonna be the slip nut on the brake lever and the nut/bolt just right of the rubber boot. These adjustments will tighten or loosen the cable as a whole. Your individual side adjustments are gonna be the two black screw, which should adjust spring release pressure on either side (sometimes you have to loosen the front allens, adjust, than re tighten.) and the allens on the pads themselves. It's takes some practice to figure out how to use all the adjustments together to make the pads standoff the same distance and to touch at the same time, it rarely ever works perfectly. It's kinda just an outdated design they continue to use. Maybe try loosening the cable, increasing spring pressure on the side that's touching and decreasing on the side that's not touching, than re tighten it all. It's also annoying to do but adjust the pad themselves can help too. Create a "bite" edge on the front edge of the pad by angling it inward slightly. Now when you brake the front will grab first and pull the rest of the pad against the rim.

>> No.551443

>>551439
>>551433
>>551437
I'll take all these suggestions into account when I have access to the bike next.

I suppose I probably should have mentioned that I fiddled around with the calipers, taking off both allens securing the brake mechanism to the fork, and now I don't think there's enough room for me to put that latch back on to the noodle. Hopefully adjusting the pad a bit might fix this.

I'll try this stuff out tomorrow and get back at you.

>> No.551925

Not sure if its just the camera angle but the wheel looks of centre, the tyre should line up with that hole. Check your wheel alignment first if that's the case.

>> No.551941

>>551925
This. Though alining the wheel was always a bitch for me no matter how hard I tried it's always off center ether horizontally or vertically.

>> No.551968

>>551443
>put that latch back on to the noodle

...what?

>> No.552014

>>551925
Wow, I feel like a complete retard for not trying this. I was sure the wheel was going straight down the fork, but I think this might definitely be the cause based on the image.

I did the loosening/tightening on the black screw like you guys suggested, but it didn't really work.

Given the amount that I've fiddled with the braking mechanism, I think it would probably just be safer to unhook the brakes and bring it over to a bike shop for a checkup. Hopefully they'll let me watch how the professionals do it.

Thanks for the help, guys!

>> No.552119

>>551418

If you take it to /n/, they'll fin everything wrong with it.

They'll also probably identify your exact bike and go on a rant about what shit it is. It's like /diy/ with tools.

Really, though, /n/ is the bike board.