[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 225 KB, 500x454, b1ae094a5b28a1cd7d65aa9b22850c09.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
544648 No.544648 [Reply] [Original]

What's up /diy/.

I'm attempting to fix the analog stick on my xbox controller. This is my first soldering project. I can't find a youtube video that really helps my noobish ways. Is there anyone out there willing to hold my hand through this delicate process?

>> No.544660

first clean that board and where you are going to soldering with some isopropyl alcohol

>> No.544661

pro tip: use a q tip

>> No.544671

thank you. but im mostly interested in knowing the extact soldering technique. i know what pins need to be soldered/desoldered, but dont know where to apply the soldering iron or how to not fuck it up.

>> No.544677

in the above pic, for example, are the three pins i need to desolder in order to remove the L Trigger. Do i apply the soldering gun directly to the pins? I do not have a wick or pump to desolder, and was going to attempt to rely on the flick method to get the solder out of there. Any thoughts?

>> No.544681

>im mostly interested in knowing the extact soldering technique.
Read this:
http://mightyohm.com/files/soldercomic/FullSolderComic_EN.pdf

>> No.544682

Iron, parts and board should be OCD clean
Tin parts first it they're not already, blow off excess solder with a straw so the pins will go through the holes.
Don't melt solder directly with the iron.
Be quick. If you're having problems, Stop. Let it cool.

for desoldering the old part, I'd slide the tip back and forth, melting all 3 at once. Then remove excess solder by flicking or blowing through a straw with a pinched end.
You can also just heat 2, pry the part a little..Heat the other side(2 at once). pry the other way. Repeat.

>> No.544683

>>544681
checking it out now. thanks

>> No.544685

>>544682
alright, this helps a lot. So do i apply the gun directly to the pins, or do i try to touch in between the board and the pin?

>> No.544688

>>544685
You use the iron to heat the leads, then touch the solder onto the hot leads.
Putting a bit of solder onto the iron for better heat transfer is fine, but if there is solder dripping off the iron, you're doing it wrong.

>> No.544691 [DELETED] 

>>544688
i add more solder to the pins in order to desolder it? i'm trying it right now.

>> No.544690
File: 5 KB, 614x280, goodsold9[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>544685
Unsoldering, heat the solder, It transfers heat quickly.

when soldering in the new one, heat both the board and pin, apply solder to both too but from the other side.

It would be a good idea to practice on on an old board.

>> No.544695
File: 39 KB, 600x308, Elec_primer-solder2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>544691
he meant a bit of fresh solder on the iron will help transfer heat better

here's a better pic
captcha:analyiy all

>> No.544696

>>544695
sorry, deleted my post there because i realized where i messed up. but thanks.

>> No.544697

fuck. I just cant seem to get those three pins loose. im gonna check out some more tutorials online.

>> No.544719

This is the best reference you could read. It's from NASA, they used this shit on the Space Shuttlehttp://www.protostack.com/download/NASA%20Student%20Handbook%20for%20Hand%20Soldering.pdf

>> No.544872

>>544648
this is the video that really made everything click for me: http://youtu.be/I_NU2ruzyc4

>> No.544884

>>544677

assuming you dont have solder wick, or a solder pump, you can use the following technique.

lay the iron sideways so that you're making contact with all three pins to desolder. dump a lot of solder on the pins so that there is one big blob covering all three pins. pull the part out from the opposite side. or, you could attach a weight to it, so it drops off by itself. the use soldering iron to remove all the solder.

> So do i apply the gun directly to the pins

if you're actually using a soldering gun, like the 100W Weller ones, you shouldnt be doing this at all. you're gonna destroy the PCB traces. you need a soldering iron of 15 - 40 Watts, ideally 25W.