[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.20 MB, 2592x1936, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
535469 No.535469 [Reply] [Original]

Can anything be made with the components from this old cb radio?

>> No.535482

A non-functioning CB radio.

Sorry, but the parts to an old analog radio wont be useful for anything beyond analog radio... And i bet the cost to get it working properly would be more than buying a mid-range modern one.

>> No.535487

I mean you could always use the caps and resistors in another project. Unless you have an RLC meter sometimes it can be hard to figure out the capacitance on a weirdly labeled one though.

Looks like you've got a transformer in there.

It really depends on what you're trying to make.

>> No.535501

>>535469
Any number of things involving discrete transistors and other discrete components.

>> No.535504

>>535487
>>535501
You guys have any ideas? (I'm pretty new at electronics and I've been trying to play around with it to learn the works)

>> No.535527

>>535504
There's not too much in there that's worth salvaging. It would do well to learn how to remove parts without damaging them. Like those brown discs (ceramic capacitors) are really heat sensitive. So, you can try to learn how to remove them without damaging them (use needle nose pliers as a heat sink to help keep heat from hitting the component when you desolder). There's some transistors in there that might come in handy later on.

>> No.535534

My favorite thing to salvage from old electronics was always switches and plugs

>> No.535580

pinout the mic din plug, connect a 3.5mm plug to it, use it on your computer. rewire the pushbutton on the mic to connect/disconnect the mic (mute switch).

>> No.535599

Why not fix the old thing and use it?

>> No.535602

>>535469
make a new cb radio
you have all the parts

>> No.535655

> Why not fix the old thing and use it?

> make a new cb radio

that would be like gong on IRC on a senior-citizens channel: fun beyond belief.

>> No.535674

>>535655
you'll hear some crazy shit on cb

>> No.535786

>>535469
salvage it,

save transformers, connectors, switches, potentiometers, that big transistor or whatever it is.

the rest is not worth the hassle, check tayda electronics to see what caps, resistors etc are worth. besides the fact that the caps are probably at the end of their life or beyond

>> No.535831

>>535786
this
a lot of beginners waste time desoldering resistors and capacitors from old electronics, or ask what they can do with them. The truth is that most electronic components are worth a fraction of a cent to a few cents. The only things worth salvaging are things like relays, toggle switches, potentiometers/knobs, transformers, etc.

and the same people ask what they can build out of the components in some broken electronic device. Well, most of the time you have all of the components necessary to make the same broken electronic device. you're never going to be able to use all of the components, so in the end you're limited to making something with a fraction of the functionality that the original device had

>> No.536192

>>535831
well they are often more valuable from a learning perspective, you can easily make some sort of powersupply from that radio.

transformer, diodes / bridge rectifier, some capacitors. make an alright powersupply for many projects.

But indeed, don't waste your time on the little stuff. "large" parts are often worth salvaging, if it is a IC check the internet before you even attempt to desolder it because a 10 cent opamp that is likely not going to survive you first desoldering attempt is not worth hours of frustration because it aint working.

the best way to go:
>>cheap multimeter (volts, amps, resistance, diode tester)
>>cheap breadboard (ebay)
>>entire E-series of resistors
>>whole lot of electrolytic capacitors from 1uf to a few thousand uf
>>some ceramic capacitors
>>some diodes 1n4007, some small signal diodes
>>handful of LED
>>some potentiometers
>>maybe a few cheap OPAMPs, logic gates (CMOS 4000) etc
>>some buttons
(get the components of tayda (they are cheap))

pirate some electronic experiments books, "the art of electronics" by horowitz (this is the bible) and basically every DIY electronics book you can get your hand on.

start reading, start experimenting and don't be scared by a few formulas as they are not that hard to understand and you (sadly) can't do without them

>> No.536194

>>536192
oh I forgot, some transistors such as 2n3904 and 2n3906 (get both, order a few because they are cheap)

don't worry if things smoke, most of the time you only blew up a few cents of components but learned a valuable lesson. (such as not having your eyes close to capacitors when you power it for the first time, reversing their polarity can have interesting effects)

>> No.536418

Why not fix it?

Cobras have a tendency to roast their audio amps. It's a TA7222P.

>> No.536510
File: 14 KB, 283x287, 1379902553882.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.536529

cool thingie. Usually they're boring, it's just adjustable condensators, and basic compoment. I prefer power supplies, computer, other things. You'll find it out later.

The best advice is to learn unsoldering, collect for what you need, it's too easy to collect a lot of crap, filling up one's home with junk. Believe me, I have too much crap. Better to use directly with a project and buy part you need, then it'll be easier to finish. I need now adjustable capaticators, but I am not in hurry (in picofarads, for testing), but as soon I see somehting who fits my needs I'd solve it out. Or buy, they're cheap.

It's a really fun hobby, learning and challenging all the time.
I use fishingbait boxes to store the junk in.

Maybe a small headphone amp can be builded from these parts, if you buy a opamp, but it's generally much better to buy new resistors,capatitors in bulks, I have a lot of caps/resistors/LED, so I don't have to look after parts. I'd need to buy diodes soon, but I have desoldered some now - soon to be used in a project. power supply regulators are nice to desolver and build a circuit with it, but find adjustable resistors in range of 5k or 10k before you build. Learn the names of packages, TO220 and TO-3 are very different, DIL8 are more difficult to desolder.

Heatsinks are useful, but be prepared to let it store for 10 years, and suddenly find out that that 600g heatsink may be too little. Add a 140cm fan and everything will be fine, and you'd curse yourself why you didn't saved TWO to have more power! :)

heatsinks from computers are awesome, some are small, fine for LM317, others can take up to 60-90watt,
free powersupplies: 12V, 5V, 3.3V , -12V, -5V .
(-12 and +12V is very nice for driving opamps.)

>> No.536531

>>536529

Ah, i forgot, I'd save some crystals from lower left corner, they're in high MHz range, fine for testing an oscilloscope. I haven't played a lot of it, but somebody on google may have found some creative usage with these. I have few here, but I haven't done that yet. They're cheap to buy thought, most electric parts are cheap, but sometimes it's nice to be enviroment friendly with recycling.

It boils down to two choices:
save money or time.

>> No.536584

>>536418
>Why not fix it?
Wreckers gona wreck it seems :(

>> No.536922

You could make a cb radio.

>> No.536989

Theremin.