[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 90 KB, 460x345, Monome-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5337 No.5337 [Reply] [Original]

Any electronic/laptop musicians on /diy/ yet ? It's possible to build your own 8x8 monome for a fraction of the price with an arduino, some basic components and the ability to solder.

http://flipmu.com/work/arduinome/hardware/

I'm hoping to build one soon, I've previously built some crude synthesizers before. So anyway, share schematics, discuss shit, whatever.

>> No.5361
File: 8 KB, 245x170, atari_punk_console_schem_556.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you're interested in getting into audio electronics then I recommend trying to build an Atari Punk Console (or just experiment with circuit bending). It's an easy circuit to build and then you can house it inside an Altoids tin or something cool.

>> No.5393

bump dis shit

>> No.5449
File: 41 KB, 550x413, arduinome_dark_550.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5393

Cheers man. I can try and answer audio related questions if anyone wants, not promising anything though.

>> No.5525

>>5449
ok. I'd like to get into circuit bending and maybe, eventually, pedal/synth/instrument building. I have a common, 40W, soldering iron and my tin-lead coil. I've fixed a couple of cables but nothing more, where do I start?

>> No.5576

>>5525
also, how do you interpret the schematics (like the one you posted before) and decide how to draw the actual circuit?

>> No.5832
File: 226 KB, 461x398, Vagineer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

With all due respect, there's an unavoidable halo of faggotry around both laptop music and circuit bending. Perhaps because of their inherent replicability and lack of originality and blind faith upon randomness. But discussing such statements would fall within the purview of your conundrums of phillosophy.

Nope, let's get practical. I'm all for analog synths. From 303 clones to those humongous walls of modules. In fact I guess I'd like to get 303-ish sounds with modulars, my main problem is sequencing. I am building a couple of square/saw wave oscillators as designed by Rene Schmitz, Three Phase LFO, some vca's, korg MS20's and moog ladder filters, some 555 ADSR, resonators, and a dualb Baby 10 sequencer as made by Fonik. All in all, a moderately ambitious project.

Would it be possible to get nasty sequences using boolean logic and sequencer routers (eg., Yusynth's), or is midi control really necessary? Maybe more sequencers will be needed?

>> No.6131

I wanna make a simple synth that can be controlled via midi. never done anything with electronics n circuits n all that. how do start.

>> No.6404

I think the more knowledgeable people here at /diy/ should team up and try to compile a beginner's guide of some sorts because I see there's many of us wanting to get pretty much the same info

>> No.6471

can anyone dump some useful blogs/sites?

>> No.6591

>>6471
Not so much a blog - but electromusic is great if you're willing to sift through loads of posts.

Not specifically electronic music, but some really interesting information on audio electronics was done by RG Keen (Geofex?).

I pretty much read things like that until it all started to make sense.

>> No.6703

I know dick about electronics. I just know that I want this but don't have the cash right now:
bleeplabs . com/nebulophone/

>> No.6723
File: 66 KB, 312x288, 1228298898212.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6404
Take my want

>> No.6826

Yo OP, I know a guy that's made an arduino monoclone that works a treat, go for it!

I recent made a playable audio/visual keyboard out of jackets, have a look at a crappy video here: http://vimeo.com/29201009

I've also just bought a Kinect which I'm going to use to control sounds and visuals in my live set, anyone have any experience using Kinect as a controller?

>> No.6851

>>6826
dude, that's pretty awesome

>> No.6855

>>5832
alright the first annoying tripfag on a board this young already...