[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 961 KB, 245x250, Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
521680 No.521680 [Reply] [Original]

Is it safe to sew over pins?

>> No.521694

Yep.

>> No.521705

It depends on what those pins did to you.

>> No.521724

>>521680

With a machine? Cause if the needle hits the pin at juuuust the right angle its going to snap off and fly directly into the nearest eye. But it probably won't happen.

You'll be fine.
Probably.

>> No.521740

>>521680
normally, yea.
My wife manages to sew into pins and fuck her machine up all the time, but her machine is a 25 year old Simplicity.

>> No.521753

Leave plenty of space between pins to reduce your chances of hitting one. If you're still worried, just pull them out as you go.

>> No.521883

>>521680
What I do is leave the pins in as I run it through the machine, and just as they get under the foot, use either thread snips, needlenose pliers, etc (whatever I have on hand) to slide it out while the foot continues to hold the material in place.

Works fine for me.

Leaving pins in can cause issues, and they're gonna have to be removed anyway, so you may as well remove them as you're seeing them come up instead of removing them later with the possibility of missing a couple and leaving them in.

>> No.523285
File: 112 KB, 900x636, BENT_NOSE_PLIERS_SERRATED_JAWS_900B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>521883
yeah, pliers like this would be ideal for that...

>> No.523324
File: 2.70 MB, 3872x2592, DSC_1118.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've seen people say it's fine, and I've seen others say it's not. personally, I've broken needles on pins, so I don't do it anymore.

home sewers are really overly-obssessed with using pins though. try to get away from using so many, or any at all. I used to pin every few inches no matter what I was sewing together, now I try to not at all, unless it's something where I really need them. if your fabric is cut precisely and your pieces are sandwiched together correctly at the start, you should be fine. learn from the pros (manufacturers, who don't fuck w pins much)

pic is dress I made :)

>> No.523450

>>523324
I follow my nan's technique:

>pin pieces together
>use a light tacking stitch to hold pieces together
>remove pins, onto the machine

>> No.523557

by hand, so you can avoid hitting the pin and leave enough space to remove the pin yes.

if doing it by machine your better off pinning it away from where the actual stitch will go.

>> No.523559

>>521680
Do they make plastic pins? I assume something like those plastic toothpicks you can buy. They'd be easier on the needle, I suspect.