[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 8 KB, 334x274, Mag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
516222 No.516222 [Reply] [Original]

So I own an old Mossberg 385KA bolt action 20 gauge, and the magazine on it only holds two rounds. How should I go about extending this into a higher capacity magazine? I would really have to extend the metal casing down several more inches and get a new spring, so should I weld new sheetmetal on or attempt to replicate the shape of the mag? Pic related

>> No.516272

>>516222
It's very difficult to make magazines, almost easier to make the gun!
Extending it you'll need a mandrel the shape of the inside of the mag to bend the steel around.
The box you make has to fit flush with the sides or a step inside will hang up the follower and spring.
To attach the two boxes together, either butt weld the seam, very hard to do with sheet metal, or wrap a band around the seam and spot weld it to both pieces.

>> No.516380

Why do you need more bullets, OP?

>> No.516410

>>516222
Go out and buy a mossberg 500 or something you like.

>> No.516444

>>516380

I don't mean to be a dick, but you are not a gun guy...are you?

>> No.516446

>>516410
i happen to own a mossberg 500, I just like this one because I can chamber a round with bolt action faster than i can with a pump action.
>>516380
Well I do competitions with friends that involves speed shooting clay pigeons and 3 rounds just isn't enough.

>> No.516450

>i happen to own a mossberg 500, I just like this one because I can chamber a round with bolt action faster than i can with a pump action.

Some things I'll never understand. It's like what, what could be quicker than a pump. I says to myself.

>> No.516452

>>516450
I don't know why, but I am just better with bolts. Grew up shooting rifles so I'm more comfortable with it. btw bolts are way faster than you must think

>> No.516522

>>516444

No, why would I be interested in a tool that will generally speaking probably never have a use.

>> No.516527

>>516522
they're fun and relaxing to shoot. Also, police don't give a fuck if you're being raped, and they'll come or not as they feel like. Enjoy your next natural disaster.

gb2pol, you started this bullshit

>> No.516648

>>516446
You don't have a round chambered? What's wrong with you?

>> No.516659

>>>>>>/k/

>> No.516688

>>516648
He does. 2 in the mag and 1 chambered.

>> No.518022

>It's very difficult to make magazines, almost easier to make the gun!
Extending it you'll need a mandrel the shape of the inside of the mag to bend the steel around.
The box you make has to fit flush with the sides or a step inside will hang up the follower and spring.
To attach the two boxes together, either butt weld the seam, very hard to do with sheet metal, or wrap a band around the seam and spot weld it to both pieces.

You can butt weld sheet metal then smooth it down using a flap disc. I would either TIG or gas weld the joint, but MIG with .023 wire would work too.

If I were OP I'd get a second magazine and use that to extend the first. I'd cut using a cutting disk in an angle grinder, then hand file the edges of each mag (files can move a lot of metal) to match and weld them up.

I'd buy some spring wire and hand-wind the spring over a wood block. Might take a few tries.