[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 28 KB, 1221x284, craftsman11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
506942 No.506942 [Reply] [Original]

I want to start building furniture and I'm unsure of what i'll need to get my shop up to shape.

What tools does /diy/ recommend for my beginners wood shop?

>> No.506971

Table saw and a good work bench are your best friends but you could make do with a circular saw, some saw horses and a straight edge for awhile if you don't want to dump that sort of money yet.
Also a nice vice, some chisels, a mallet and a million clamps.

>> No.506983

>>506971
> Two million clamps.

Fixed. Never enough god damn clamps.

>> No.507039

>>506942
My practice is to buy the cheapest stuff around, use it until it breaks or wears out, then immediately buy a quality name-brand replacement for it.

There is a reason. Some cheap tools I have are decent quality and last forever. Others I thought I would use, never get used, so it would have been wasted money to buy the expensive stuff.

>> No.507284

>>506942
You could in theory do all the work with hand tools, although in this day and age few people have the right mindset or the requisite amount of grit for that. Still, many a good library will have an old woodworking book where the only power tool used is a drill.

Other people can advise better on power tools but I'd say that the two must-haves have to be a table saw and a lathe, unless you sidestep the second by doing nothing that requires a turning. A pillar drill and a bandsaw are also very useful, must-haves for some people, but there's a long list of stuff that you *can* buy that different guys think are must-haves for the shop.

Some hand-held power tools including a belt sander, random-orbit sander, drill and router.

In terms of hand tools, more my forte, I'd say you want at least one general-purpose plane, a cabinet scraper, at least a handful of chisels, the means to sharpen all the preceding, a set of files and rasps, a panel saw, a tenon saw and maybe a Japanese saw, a marking gauge (make it if you don't already have one, it's a good project), a long level, a couple of squares, a crapload of clamps of different types (G-clamps, C-clamps, sash clamps, pipe clamps, spring clamps etc.)

Some tool-related projects for you to cut your teeth on:
http://woodgears.ca/clamps/jh_barclamps.html
http://woodgears.ca/clamps/index.html

I'd also recommend you make your bench, you can even make the dogs from wood if you want. I used to have a link for a good pictorial on this but I can't locate it, should be easy enough to find though.

>> No.507313

>>507284
new Yankee workshop 102 is a really great bench that's quite simple. 2x4s and half lap joints, some dados, and some oak for trim and mechanical parts. Plywood and hardboard top.