[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 22 KB, 291x389, Trane-XL16i.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
505889 No.505889 [Reply] [Original]

How to build air conditioner? (And not the kind that's a cooler and a fan)

>> No.505891

>>505889

You'll need a compressor, two heat exchanges, two fans and some copper tubing that can handle decent pressures. Place one exchanger where you want the cold air to be and have a fan blowing threw it. Place the other heat exchanger and fan where where you want to dump the heat. Use the compressor to compress the cooling medium before it enters the second heat exchanger (the one used to dump the heat) and you basically have an AC.

>> No.505904

>>505891
Ah, sweet. Thank you. I didn't expect to get such an excellent response so soon considering DIY seems to have gone somewhat downhill since it's conception.

>> No.506585

>>505889

yea so what it would cost you in parts and freon to build this, would actually be more logical to BUY a fucking air conditioner.

seriously what the hell is wrong with people. this isnt DIY. if you didnt want the cooler and fan method then this is not considered DIY

>> No.506604

A mixture of propane/butane is actually a better refrigerant than Freon.

It is what I am using in my Isuzu Trooper, since R134 works like crap in R12 systems. R12A (propane/butane) was cheap, easy to work with, and compatible with R12's ester or mineral oil.

>> No.506622

Has anyone tried to make a pressurized ammonia system before? Like the old rv refrigerators used to use.

>> No.506750

>>505891
got any thoughts on where to buy the compressor part or what RPMs the compressor from a home/apartment unit runs at? I want to run an A/C from a powerful stirling engine that's why i'm asking... what about geting the spinning motion from the sitrling 50 ft into the house window? any suggestions?

>> No.506765

Depends on what your tubing can take, easy way would be to get a auto compressor from a junk yard and belt drive it from your sterling motor

>> No.506778

>>506750
Should be able to find most of the pieces you need at Pick-A-Part. Just make sure you get a compressor and evaporator designed to work with R-134a (because I wouldn't fill a system with propane and then use it indoors.)

>> No.506924

Is this for a room in your house? Consider the cooling capacity of an automotive A/C unit. It's designed to cool a relatively small space, a car interior, vs an entire room. It's a big difference.
I've thought of the same thing myself.

>> No.507224
File: 364 KB, 1705x1206, Suna02_200-201.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>506924
I was actually trying to make something more like this.

>> No.507342

you might be better off with peltier coolers and a 12v battery

>> No.507420

>>507224
strap a generator with wheels to the suit.

peltiers and proper AC will suck batteries dry fast

you can buy compressors online new sealed, or find an old fridge at the dump/side of street.

>> No.507439

>>507420
Cool, thanks for the information.

>> No.507443

>>505889
refrigeration mechanic here. ask away.

>> No.507445

>>507443
the easiest way to get basic understanding of an a.c. system is to reverse engineer one because the sizing of the metering device (what makes it cool) is essential. that and the charging of the refrigerant (Freon for yanks) is the 2 areas that require some technical knowledge

>> No.507450
File: 21 KB, 200x306, micro cooler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>507439
Peltier coolers suck, and refrigerator compressors are bulky and inefficient.

If you really want to make a cooling suit, then you'll have to machine your own compressor. The military personal cooling systems typically use a small wankel compressor hooked up to a brushless motor. To make it you'll need a high precision CNC machine.

This patent more or less has everything you need to build one, short of the CAD models:
http://www.google.com/patents/US7942642

Sort of that, you can sew aquarium tubing to an old T-shirt and pump ice water through that. Won't last nearly as long as that tiny air conditioner, but it'll be cheaper.